As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deleted

Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
edited May 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
-

Andrew_Jay on

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This may be silly, but have you tried using a different iPod cable?

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've had cables go bad before; I've got a bum USB>miniUSB one on my desk right now that only works 50% of the time (though I still use it). If you've been using the same cable and the iPod will work on it, then I'd imagine it's something bad with the shuffle.

I'm sure you know there's a hard reset on the iPod; is there one on the shuffle?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    WillscottWillscott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Certainly sounds like you've got a bad usb port. If the shuffle works on other computers, then it is likely ok, the fact that it isn't getting power sounds like your USB port is broken.

* Try plugging other things into that port and see if they work
    * Try putting the shuffle into a different port on your computer

Willscott on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh, duh, of course, the original shuffles just plugged right in.

Check the Apple discussion boards to see if anyone else has had problems with the USB connector flipping out on the thing. It also may have just given up the ghost.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does the little battery charging led come on when you plug it into a usb port? If not, I would guess that the usb plug on your shuffle is shot. I would look to see if any of the contacts on the inside of the plug look dirty or corroded. Is the plug loose? I think those have a little ribbon cable that connects the usb plug to the brains of the thing, I suppose it could have come loose. If all else fails, try taking it apart to see if that is the case. Warning though, if that fails it will definitely be broken.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    AceCoxswainAceCoxswain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a 1G shuffle, and usually my computer won't recognize that it's plugged in... apparently, the weight of the shuffle pulls it just far enough out of the USB port to "disconnect" it. Since I'm using it with a Mac Mini, I can just wedge something (a Listerine strip case works well) between the shuffle and my desk and it works flawlessly. This would probably only apply if your USB ports are perpendicular to the ground (i.e. probably not on a laptop), but it's worth a shot.

AceCoxswain on