As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Does anyone know of a LEGAL way to get ROMs of old NES games?

NetweavrNetweavr Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Is that even possible? I don't mind paying a few bucks, but all Google gives me are a bunch of "free" sites with blocked links.

It's what I do.
Netweavr on

• Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No.

whuppins on
  • Options
    M0rphM0rph Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Wii VC. Other than that no.

M0rph on
  • Options
    FrdztecFrdztec Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was under the impression that once certain licences ran out, the games pretty much became free to reproduce and such as that?

I haven't any idea what the term on said licences are though.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought that was the same theory behind all of those $15.00 rip-off systems that play NES and SNES carts.

Frdztec on
    sig-587082.jpg
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you want to legally play old NES games (outside of the Wii), the simplest way to do so is to find an old NES and the game cartridges.

Otherwise, you're out of luck.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Frdztec wrote: »
    I was under the impression that once certain licences ran out, the games pretty much became free to reproduce and such as that?

I could be completely wrong, but I thought that was the same theory behind all of those $15.00 rip-off systems that play NES and SNES carts.

Only if the people who own the rights to the game don't bother to renew the copyrights, and even then it takes a loooong time for something to pass into public domain. NES games are still too new to lapse into PD this way, and now that the companies have realized that they can still make money on old titles via the VC and the like, don't expect any roms to ever lapse.

And before it comes up, the thing about it being legal if you already own a copy of the game is a very loose interpretation of the law at best, and 100% bullshit at worst.

whuppins on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What about Gametap?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    whuppins wrote: »
    And before it comes up, the thing about it being legal if you already own a copy of the game is a very loose interpretation of the law at best, and 100% bullshit at worst.

Downloading them, yes. Making your own, not really despite Nintendo's screwball interpretation of the law. You *are* allowed to make backups except in certain (hi DMCA!) situations where it involves bypassing copy protection.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, ROMs are commercially only available as part of the actual hardware ROM on the cartridge. Hence, in order to create legal copies for yourself, you would buy a hardware device to dump the rom to your own computer. You plug in your cartridge, dump the rom, and there you go.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Frdztec wrote: »

Completely and totally wrong. Those devices are illegal to manufacture or sell, and Nintendo actually has a piracy tip line for people who see those being sold to report to. They will take legal action and contact whichever law enforcement agency is appropriate to see that the people behind those things are shut down.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.