As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick Network Advice

Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to get my g/f's laptop working. I don't have loads of experience with networks, and I'm pretty much out of things to try.

It connects to the network just fine (both wirelessly and via ethernet cable). Her other computer running on the same router can connect to the internet. Whatever I do with the laptop, though, it won't connect to the internet. I think there's some setting that needs to be reset.

So what's a quick way to reset the network settings on a computer? Or just common problems that would cause this?

Mobile-D on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    go to Control Panel>Network Connections, Right click and go to the properties of the Local Area Connection or Wireless Card. Click on TCP/IP and then click properties.

They should be set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically as well as Obtain DNS servers automatically.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I've already done that.

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Make sure she doesn't have any proxy settings on her browser. If she is using IE, try downloading Firefox and see if that works.

Also, to make sure she is getting proper connectivity, go to Start>Run>"cmd" (minus the quotes). Once at the command prompt, try to enter the following command:

ping www.google.com

Make sure you are getting a response and the name is resolving properly. It should look something like this:

Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.169.103] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.169.103: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=244

If it does not respond or the name does not resolve, then she is not properly connecting to the router.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    check router to make sure it allows enough connections.

make sure you're on correct network

right click connection -> repair sometimes works

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Make sure she isn't plugged into port 1 of the router. Sometimes port 1 and the uplink are mutually exclusive.

EDIT nevermind, you said it doesn't work with wireless either. I'd check for proxies as suggested above, and probably delete that particular network connection and make a new one.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You probably already tried this but:

Do you enable MAC filtering on your router? Is the MAC address correct for her unit?

phamtq on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Another thing you can do is Google "Winsock". It will auto-fix your network settings, and works flawlessly for me everytime. Just use a CD or thumb drive to trnsport the .exe to the laptop that won't connect.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Make sure she isn't plugged into port 1 of the router. Sometimes port 1 and the uplink are mutually exclusive.

EDIT nevermind, you said it doesn't work with wireless either. I'd check for proxies as suggested above, and probably delete that particular network connection and make a new one.

I don't think I've ever seen a router with an uplink port, especially nothing made within the last 4 years. You're probably thinking of a switch or hub.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »

I don't think I've ever seen a router with an uplink port, especially nothing made within the last 4 years. You're probably thinking of a switch or hub.

My router has an uplink port.

netgear-router.jpg

Its just labeled Internet.

I'm a filthy google image mooch

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Ruckus wrote: »

My router has an uplink port.

netgear-router.jpg

Its just labeled Internet.

I'm a filthy google image mooch

Thats a WAN port. I differentiate.

An Uplink is a LAN side port dedicated for expanding one network device to another.

Ruckus on