As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Problem (Graphics Related?)

starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So. A few weeks ago my mother board crapped out. I wasn't sure if that was the problem and have no diagnostic equipment so I sent it to this repair shop.

I got it fixed, but when it came back. I would not play 3d games. They would run for about five minutes, and then the computer screen would go black and then reboot. So. I asked around and got a new power supply. I installed it and almost the same thing would happen.

Now, not only when playing 3d games but also just browsing (it is happening now), I get two large columns made up of four columns of white checker / whatever is behind it, rectangles.

Anyone know what hte deal is?

If it is video card related, what is a good videocard to replace my radeon x850? thanks

--So it also started doing it when just booting up and going to the windows user log in.

If I restart the compute rright after it happens, it continues on the motherboard boot up screen.

I have to hard turn it off for about 10 seconds before it is safe

camo_sig2.png
starmanbrand on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Update: Tried putting the fan next to tower to reduce heat solution from the last thread. Did not work.

Other opinions or ideas?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I suspect it's the video card. It seems like it's melting, or something. Happened to me with a PCI card playing Morrowind. After a few hours, it crashed. Not listening to the signals, I rebooted right away and played again. Happened a few times, I kept rebooting and playing right away. Then it was every 15 mins. Then it was even when not playing games. Eventually it wouldn't show squat. I took the card out, it was physically melted in spots.

Is your videocard a PCI, AGP or PCI Express?

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    I suspect it's the video card. It seems like it's melting, or something. Happened to me with a PCI card playing Morrowind. After a few hours, it crashed. Not listening to the signals, I rebooted right away and played again. happened a few times, I kept rebooting and playing right away. Then it was every 15 mins. Then it was even when not playing games. Eventually it wouldn't show squat. I took the card out, it was physically melted in spots.

Is your videocard a PCI, AGP or PCI Express?

A PCI-E

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Personally, I got an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro (512mb) and I love it. However, I'm not a supermega tech guy, I'm sure some people here could suggest you an excellent card at a fair price.

What I can tell you, though, is that I'm pretty positive the video card is your problem.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Personally, I got an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro (512mb) and I love it. However, I'm not a supermega tech guy, I'm sure some people here could suggest you an excellent card at a fair price.

What I can tell you, though, is that I'm pretty positive the video card is your problem.

Heart breaking, but I suppose I've had this rig for about three years so it is time to update the next major part of it since the motherboard axed itself.

So if the rest of you agree that it is the videocard, is the Radeon x1600 better than the x850? Aside from numerically. I don't keep on up tech hardware. I am willing to spend up to 200-250 since it is still a good bit of time before christmas. I'd like something as good, if not a little better. And if you have any websites that have good deals. I usually use newegg.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If the card really is "melting" how can I prevent that from happening again?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If the card really is "melting" how can I prevent that from happening again?

This, I have no idea. Mine melted because the fan on it stopped working correctly and, like a moron, I didn't realise it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This definitely sounds like your video card is overheating. This would explain it crashing after five minutes in games.

If you're seeing strange squares and stuff (artifacting), it's possible that your video card is either perpetually overheating or you may have fried a component and it will artifact/be unstable even at cool temperatures.

The first thing I would do is check to see what your idle and load temperatures are for the card.

The thing is probably clogged up to the gills in dust so will likely need to be removed and have the fan/heatsink assembly cleaned.

If it's still running hot after cleaning it out then the fan is probably broken and needs to be replaced. If it's still artifacting and unstable after cleaning but is running at safe temps then the card is fried and needs to be RMA'd or you need to buy a new one.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Do you happen to have a faq on cleaning the heatsink? I assume it will be more complicated than blasting it with compressed air.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It might not be more complicated than that, it just might require a lot of air. Take the card out of your case and clean out the fan, then put it back in and start it up. Make sure the fan is spinning! If it's not - then you need something new.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So if the rest of you agree that it is the videocard, is the Radeon x1600 better than the x850? Aside from numerically. I don't keep on up tech hardware. I am willing to spend up to 200-250 since it is still a good bit of time before christmas. I'd like something as good, if not a little better. And if you have any websites that have good deals. I usually use newegg.

It's a bit slower.

If you do want to upgrade than the 8800 series offers some amazing deals, considering how powerful they are. You can get an
    8800 GTS 320MB for $279, with a further $20 off after rebate for $259. This maybe your top end but if you're looking for a card that'll give you another 2-3 years, then this is it. Performs quite nicely even with lowend processors too which suprised me.

If you're just looking for a cheap stop gap replacement, then the 8600GT, is comparable in framerates, features newer tech, and can be had for under $100. Or if you want a little faster then the X1950pro, or 8600GTS are both good cards in the $150 range.

Personally, I'd go with the 8800 though, it's fantastic tech and a great price.

Rook on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you happen to have a faq on cleaning the heatsink? I assume it will be more complicated than blasting it with compressed air.

Usually the heatsink has a plastic cover over it, unscrew that, either blow (compressed air),suck (vacuum cleaner) or wipe the dust off, and replace.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Update:

So, yesterday. From about. 5pm to 9pm my computer would repeatedly and randomly do the whitesquare(artifact?) error. Then after that, I used my computer until about 11 and left it on all night to come back to it this morning with no problems.

Still the videocard? Could it be ram or HDD related? A virus?

Just making sure before I drop the two fiddy on a replacement card. haha.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm having almost identical problems to the OPs. 15 minute interval shut downs. Sometimes goes black screen with white squares checkered vertically up the screen. Takes multiple tries sometimes to get it to boot up (turn off, on off on, etc to get it to start). I did not want to have to go through the checklist of replacing power supply, gpu, fans, etc, so if you could post updates to your problem if you get a solution, I would be very appreciative. I was thinking it was the video card personally for mine, but until I get some cash, I dont intend on putting out $200 for a new card.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    UPDATE: Alright, so. I took out the video card and took a gander at it. After opening the heatsink cover (Sorry for this computer experts) I noticed a few(3) odd marks on the what looked to be copper strips underneath the cover. No dust I could really see, but I still blew it out pretty well.

Put it back in and treid the puzzle quest demo at fullscreen. Worked for about 10 minutes, then it did the old white rectangle shut down thing.

It is currently in the white rectangle mode as I type htis so I am thinking it did not work.

This thread can be locked, Mods. I am going to go ahead and start a topic on helping me buy a videocard that will function propertly with my PC.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Strange Update: The error now does not shut down my PC when anything sginificant changes. I could always type, but if I tried to change windows or post the typing, it would error and shut down. It is currently not doing that I can browse freely, although it is currently half covered with white blocks.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png