As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting 'rid' of a car

ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My mom just got a new car and now wants to get rid of her old one to avoid the insurance/licence plate costs, a friend of mine is willing to take it but he still only has his learner's permit. Is it possible for someone with a learner's permit to be the 'owner' of a vehicle? What are her options? Keep in mind we're in Canada, and I've already got a car of my own.

I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
ApexMirage on

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    might want to specify what province you're in. Transfer of ownership laws vary from province to province.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Quebec.

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know about the specifics, but you might want to look at: Insurance; how old does he have to be to be covered? Is it necessary for every car to be covered by some form of insurance in your province? Does he have the money to register the vehicle?

I know, at least in my state (Michigan, so this is only anecdotal and for your reference Mr. Canadian) a driver must have insurance and in order to get insurance they have to have a valid drivers license. And, without insurance you can't register the vehicle and, ergo, cannot drive it without running the risk of being pulled over for driving an unregistered vehicle (noticeable due to outdated tabs).

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is she just giving the car to him? He may still have to pay sales tax on the car's value. Let me explain that a bit. Here in TN the law used to state you paid sales tax for however much the car was sold. Families and close friends (like in your case) would get around this by selling the car for $1 or something similar. The law was recently changed so that you have to pay tax on the value of the car and not what you paid for the car. So when I went to get my Integra registered the lady got out a book and looked up the value and charged me tax appropriately. Ultimately its a big extra chunk of change you have to spend. In this case since its Canada I have no idea, but I'd say there is probably a similar circumstance because no governmental body likes not getting its tax money. I've no idea how much the car is worth, but you definitely want to look into this. If he can't afford a car to begin with I doubt he can afford the tax on one.

Shogun on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TheLong wrote: »
    I don't know about the specifics, but you might want to look at: Insurance; how old does he have to be to be covered? Is it necessary for every car to be covered by some form of insurance in your province? Does he have the money to register the vehicle?

I know, at least in my state (Michigan, so this is only anecdotal and for your reference Mr. Canadian) a driver must have insurance and in order to get insurance they have to have a valid drivers license. And, without insurance you can't register the vehicle and, ergo, cannot drive it without running the risk of being pulled over for driving an unregistered vehicle (noticeable due to outdated tabs).

Close, but backwards. You need registration in order to get insurance. (If you'd like to insure something, you need proof of ownership).

In this case, they could legally own the car, there's no age restriction on that, and he could be legally registered as the cars owner. However, since he can't be considered the vehicles operator until he has a valid license (the qualified operator in the car is responsible for the learner), he can't get insurance under his name- making the driving (not the owning) of it illegal.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sarcastro wrote: »

Close, but backwards. You need registration in order to get insurance. (If you'd like to insure something, you need proof of ownership).

In this case, they could legally own the car, there's no age restriction on that, and he could be legally registered as the cars owner. However, since he can't be considered the vehicles operator until he has a valid license (the qualified operator in the car is responsible for the learner), he can't get insurance under his name- making the driving (not the owning) of it illegal.

Nope, you need title and proof of insurance to get registration.

The title, signed by the former owner and written up in your name proves ownership of the vehicle.

But, then again, we are talking about Canada...

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    he would not be driving it until he got his license, it would just be sitting in the driveway - is it legal to have a car without insurance/tags as long as you're not driving it?
    i think i heard something about 'parking' tags, any info on that?

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sarcastro wrote: »

Nope, you need title and proof of insurance to get registration.

I had my car with tags and all for a few weeks without any insurance due to complications, so this does not apply.
    That doesent even make much sense, how could you insure something that's not yours? You would need the registration first =/

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    See, now this is something that I did not know. If you don't necessarily need insurance than my H/A isn't really useful on the matter.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I remember a friend going through a similar situation once (this is in Ontario, but I imagine the laws are fairly similar in Quebec). Basically, they told their insurance company to drop the insurance on the new car, and when it came time to renew the plates/registration on the car, they didn't bother. They had to take the plates back, but other than that, there's nothing else to do. You don't need to "sell" the car to anyone to get rid of it, just make sure you drive it to wherever it's going to sit for a length of time BEFORE the registration and insurance are pulled, obviously.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    The general rule for a car out of plates/whatever (in the US, but seems like common law to me) is that as long as it's sitting on private property AND not on the public street AND doesn't look like a piece of crap (so that the neighbors call it in), it should be okay.

If you could somehow get a cheap tarp to cover the car while it's sitting in the driveway, I don't think the neighbors would mind...

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sarcastro is right, as always. However, whomever ends up with the car may want to consider egtting some sort of minimal insurance on it for "just in case" situations, such as break-in, theft, or the car coming ouit of park and rolling into the street. I had my car parked for a number of months and did this and it cost next to nothing.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!