As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How much spare time do have and what do you do with it?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I know this seems dumb but I have way too much spare time. I am a full time student at a community college and I will be transferring to University sure thing but in the mean time I have nothing to do. I go to school all year round, full load and I do not work. I really have no reason to work at this time in my life and even though I do have too much spare time, work really does screw with school. I tried working and going to school and it sucked because I would always end up working close to 40 hours a week, while going to school full time. It is not that easy to find a job where you work 20 hours a week, the hours you want. Anyways, my days are quite uneventful and I am not going to lie to anyone about what I do for most the day Monday through Thursday. I go to school 3 days a week with 4 classes on those days, besides one day, so I get up at 8:30am and my first class is at 9:30, then I am out of school by 2pm. I might have a hour of homework to do and I really don't feel any type of stress until mid terms and finals, so for about 2 weeks out of the entire term I usually don't have more then an hour of homework a day unless for maybe the one or two projects per class that I have but I think it is safe to say I have almost nothing school related 80% of the term. With homework that puts me done with school at 3pm, 3 days a week no including the days I have off Tue, Thur, Friday, Sat, Sunday. So 3 days a week I have 7 hours of spare time and 4 days a week I have an entire day, not considering a project or extra homework. Just guessing, an average week I have 70 hours of spare time, does that sound right?

Now, I do have friends but no one can really do anything until the weekends. I am just so fucking bored I am going insane. Especially this summer since I was short one class.

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I take martial arts, and I go to a lot of movies.

Really, I don't have any spare time right now

but that's what I do with it when I have it.

JohnnyCache on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Answering the title:

1. Too much.

2. Not enough.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I work out excessively, read, watch movies, and play games. Pretty soon i'll be working and going to school. Between work, school, gym, studying/homework, and whatever else, I won't have a lot of free time. But i'll pretty much be doing the same thing i'm doing now so whatever.

Urian on
  • benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't have much because I fill most of it with something.
    I'm pretty much booked until next next week, but technically it is filled up free time. I scheduled days to hang out with friends, do major errands, self projects, read Harry Potter, etc.

I have a lot of hobbies. Games are definitely not one of them because they're a waste of life to me. I write, draw comics, do stand-up comedy (or write scripts), photography, basketball, and a bunch of other stuff.

During school, its a different story. First few weeks are very chill where I do whatever, but after that, midterms/finals take up all my time with studying.

Come to think of it, I need to clean my room, too...

benz0rs on
  • SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pretty much no free time these days. Work constantly for something I car less and less about. I plan to rectify this rather soon, and move on to a much less time consuming/ridiculously involving job. Then I can hike and go to the beach and play games and make art. Come to think of it, I only play my DS anymore.

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I feel you. I work three days a week or so, 6-7 hours a day, and try to find things to do other than that. I am starting school soon though, so that will eliminate some of that. Still, I play games, do 3d art, read, and dick around.

My best advice is to find a hobby that you can fill lots of time with, something that you can get better at. Like me, if I'm bored, I can work on some models. Its productive, I can fill endless hours with it, and I'm getting better at it as a result.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Judo/Brazilian Jiujitsu, and reading. Playing boardgames. Hanging with the girlfriend and my friends....eating pork rinds, etc.

Tried working out yet? If you have a good amount of time, hitting the gym could be a way to get rid of boredom and stree all the while making you feel better about yourself.

Munacra on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    not to mention learning how to gogoplata someone

always fun at parties

JohnnyCache on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    - working out
    - reading books
    - hanging out in D&D
    - photography
    - soccer
    - studying for gmat/gre

If I'm terribly terribly bored, I'll grab a random object lying around in the house and experiment with taking pictures of it with my camera from different angles, lighting conditions, etc. etc. taking the pictures and editing them in photoshop usually occupies me for a few hours.

ege02 on
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Over the last couple months just been reading or playing stuff on my DS. Starting college in a few weeks so hopefully I will have more to do then.

kaz67 on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Right now, I'm working 40 a week and doing work on a summer online course, so I don't have a lot of free time. I watch movies, play video games, and run a couple of Star Wars RPG games. I also play around in a few online RPGs (based on Bleach, Transformers, and a few other miscellaneous ones).

I'll be a full time student in about, oh, three weeks with a 20 hour courseload and working at the Student Writing Center at the college library. I'm also going to be running 2-3 RPG campaigns and handling the video game room for the university's anime club.

LibrarianThorne on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Martial Arts Instructor
    Work out
    drink beer
    WoW
    Read Books
    golf, tennis, frisbee golf, soccer, softball

gd I have alot of free time

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    whenever I am bored or have free time I start a list or work on an existing one

a list can be of anything, either a record of your history, or a to-do list, or a catalogue of something you own.

you can start them on paper, and/or transfer them to a text file on the computer

it can be interesting and fun because it can lead to jogging your memory about past things, or involves research to fill in the gaps, and learning new things (by searching things on wikipedia for example)

some lists I have on the go:
    -my concert history, with who I saw where and when (and why they were playing at that time) since I've been seeing a lot of concerts lately and could forget these details years from now
    -a reference list of all the co-op games I have for when friends come over and we're wondering what I have to play with however many players
    -a hard list of all the phone #s I need in the event I lose/damage my cellphone
    -all the songs/albums I want to acquire
    -all the games I've ever complete and to what degree of completion
    -every niggling thing on my PC I want to look into further or fix at some point
    -an ongoing wishlist for birthdays/christmas so I have an answer when somebody asks me for ideas for something to get me
    -movies I want to see (none of that spending an hour at the video store BS for me!)
    -numerous to-do lists of varying scope*

*I would say these are the most important to preventing wasteful free time or being bored. if you keep them updated and write down everythign you have to do, you'll always HAVE something to do and won't have to be bothered to FIND something, as you'll already have several choices lined up.

Deusfaux on
  • ShmoepongShmoepong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jujitsu
    Read
    Cycle
    Play some old PS1 games

I'd almost suggest WoW, but it takes a strong mind not to turn it into a full time job.

Shmoepong on
    I don't think I could take a class without sparring. That would be like a class without techniques. Sparring has value not only as an important (necessary) step in applying your techniques to fighting, but also because it provides a rush and feeling of elation, confidence, and joyful exhaustion that can only be matched by ... oh shit, I am describing sex again. Sorry everyone. - Epicurus
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How much: depends on work.

What I do: muay thai, yoga and video games

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I cycle but I have not been doing it lately because it is hot as fuck. It was 105 yesterday.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    With most of my spare time I draw and read. Drawing is good because the better you get the more time you can spend developing one picture. I just finished a picture that I spent about three hours on yesterday.

I also get much more into street art / graffiti over the summer. Kills time and always makes for good stories.

Chop Logic on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Free time? 2 WEEK DAYS off and about 4 hours a day every other day.

What do i do with it?
    WoW
    Girlfriend
    Friends
    MSN
    Internets
    TV
    Get drunk

P.S: I'm not happy.

noobert on
    edited August 2007
    noobert wrote: »
    Free time? 2 WEEK DAYS off and about 4 hours a day every other day.

What do i do with it?
    WoW
    Girlfriend
    Friends
    MSN
    Internets
    TV
    Get drunk

P.S: I'm not happy.

That sounds like me, minus the girl friend.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I work 40 hours a week and have about an hour commute each way and not much else to do outside of that, but the work schedule sucks for me so it FEELS like I have less free time than I actually do.

As for what I do with it: WoW (off and on - sometimes I play something else), browse the internet and a variety of creative tasks (I have a hard time sticking to one thing). One day I'll get back into my own apartment, at which point I plan on getting in shape and cooking more. I'm also studying for Network+ and make good use of my Netflix subscription.

Once or twice a month I'll drive an hour or so and hang out with my brother for a day or two.

I read a lot at work on slow days / during breaks and lunch.

Tomanta on
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find it most fun to try to do something new or that I haven't done in a while every now and then when I have free time. Since most of the time I'm a home body, this mostly involves going out somewhere. This week, I went to a baseball game with a friend and this weekend I'm going to some museum (Jurassic Technology - I've no idea what it is) with my sister.

It's also possible to plan stuff to do alone, like hikes on very basic trails, exploring new neighborhoods, movies (you don't really need others to watch one), and classes on all kinds of things. For cheap stuff as a student, I recommend getting involved in community activities or going to the library.

Best advice I can give is, when you find yourself bored, just think about what you would most like to be doing at that moment, then go do it. If it's not possible, then do the closest thing to it.

witch_ie on
  • benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Set goals and during your free time, try your best to progress towards it.

benz0rs on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Learn an instrument. That is usually pretty productive. For what I do, I:

drink beer
    play tfc
    play guitar
    watch a baseball game
    go disk golfing
    go to the driving range
    browse the internet

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
    edited August 2007
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Well, I work 40 hours a week and have about an hour commute each way and not much else to do outside of that, but the work schedule sucks for me so it FEELS like I have less free time than I actually do.

As for what I do with it: WoW (off and on - sometimes I play something else), browse the internet and a variety of creative tasks (I have a hard time sticking to one thing). One day I'll get back into my own apartment, at which point I plan on getting in shape and cooking more. I'm also studying for Network+ and make good use of my Netflix subscription.

Once or twice a month I'll drive an hour or so and hang out with my brother for a day or two.

I read a lot at work on slow days / during breaks and lunch.

lol I used up all the online movie hours in a week and I watch a movie every night and send one back. They make zero money off of me.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Exercise. Run, walk, swim, dance, whatever, exercise is a worthwhile timesink.

I picked up a guitar for no reason and am teaching it to myself. Try an instrument.

Gaming never gets old.

Music. Listening to new bands, listening to old bands new stuff, etc.

Learned to knit. No joke. Girlfriend started crotcheting, so I picked up a needle and thread and can now do all sorts of goofy stiches. I even made myself an awesome scarf.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • ddahcmaiddahcmai Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Free time? 2 hours a day, from 7 to 9 pm (I work 60 hours a week on a farm,) and Sundays off.
    I run three times a week, swim every time I run because I run to a lake nearby, go backpacking/mountain climbing every three weeks or so on weekends, take martial arts three nights a week, play bass guitar, and cook.
    The remaining free night (or Sunday) I always plan ahead so I'm with friends, or do something special with my girlfriend; whether it be going out to dinner or mountain climbing, the important part is that I can get away from life to give more than just a few hours of my time to her.

ddahcmai on