As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't know much about computer hardware, please help me

JinnJinn Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I went to turn on my desktop this morning and all it gives me is long, repeating POST beeps and nothing else. Google says this means bad power supply. That seems to make sense to me, which means I need to buy a new 350W power supply. Any flaws or oversights here?

Two of the case fans are on their last legs as well, so while I'm ordering computer parts I figured I'd make a couple other upgrades too. First, my hard drive is pretty much full, so I'm wondering how difficult it is to set up a second drive. I have absolutely zero experience with setting something like that up, but I'm not paranoid about it, I feel like I could do it if I had some instructions to follow or something... where might I find a cogent guide for this? And generally speaking, what are the key specs I should be keeping an eye out for on new hard drives? I know the one in there now (which I see no reason not to keep) is SATA, but honestly I don't have the slightest clue what that means, I just remember it was a big deal at the time my friend built this machine for me.

Also, I want a TV tuner card.

The problem is I have extremely limited knowledge regarding either of these products, so I'm turning to you guys to point me in the direction of some good choices.

Jinn on

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    could have a short, bad memory, bad power supply. disconnect everything from power supply, besides mobo first to see if it boots up. then try swapping memory first

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you have never assembled a compute before, it would be good idea you read some guides first, watch one or two videos, and learn to discharge the static from your body. Your friend could give you a hand with that.

Setting up a second hard disk means you need to read your motherboard's manual, and reconfigure the BIOS, sounds easy, but if you have never done it before you could sweat a little :), regarding the power supply, get at least a 400W unit, more hardware means more energy consumption.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Some inexpensive TV cards:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TV2000-EXP&cpc=SCH

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SAA713XHL&cpc=SCH

Keep in mind this equipment only receives NTSc, that means no HD TV

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wouldn't spend any money until you're sure it's the PSU. As mastman mentioned, it could be a number of things. Your motherboard's manual should have a troubleshooting section that tells you what each type of beeping means. Hopefully, your friend saved the mobo manual, or at least you have a means of identifying the mobo model so you can find a manual online.

Adding a SATA drive is pretty much plug and play. When you crack open your case, you should see a SATA cable running from the drive to the L-shaped SATA lead on your mobo. The leads should be grouped into clusters of at least two, so just plug your new drive into #2 and go from there. In a lot of cases, SATA channels are enabled/disabled in pairs, so if #1 has been enabled, #2 will already be enabled as well. If not, you will have to enable it in your BIOS as Fantasma says, but it's really not that hard. A lot of software BIOS setups have pretty good built-in documentation nowadays, and the motherboard manual (yes, that thing again) should be able to explain things in greater detail.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shit, I definitely don't have the motherboard manual or any sort of documentation whatsoever, and the friend that built this machine years ago is now living in China I think. Reconfiguring BIOS sounds like something that would really suck if I fucked it up... that makes me nervous.

As for the tuner cards, do HDTV ones exist? edit: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TV-BOX-HD&cat=VID
    This looks mighty attractive... but manufactured by 'Generic' doesn't sound promising

Jinn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Honestly, reconfiguring BIOS is easy nowadays since it's all done in software. If you had to go around setting jumpers like in the days of yore, you'd be pretty much fucked without your manual. Again, there's a very good chance that you won't have to mess with yout BIOS settings at all.

When your machine is POSTing, keep an eye out for text that tells you "<F2> to enter Setup" or something like that. If you don't see any cue, just mash some F keys a few times while you're POSTing. F2, F8, and F12 are the most common keys for this. If you do it right, instead of booting your OS after POST, your machine will go into the BIOS settings. This part is different for every mobo, but in general, you get a fairly straightforward menu that you navigate through with the arrow keys. Usually there's a "devices" or "hardware" or "SATA" section that contains the settings to enable/disable various hardware connections (PCI, USB hubs, VGA slots, etc.). Just make sure that SATA channel 2 (or whatever you're plugged into) is enabled. As I mentioned, a lot of times, the channels are paired, so you might see "SATA 1/2: Enabled" or something like that.

You can try this now if you want to get familiar with how it works. Check everything out and do whatever the hell you want; just make sure you don't save your changes on exit. A lot of the individual settings in BIOS can be confusing and/or intimidating, but the BIOS screen itself really shouldn't be.

whuppins on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I can't even get that far right now, but the good news is I'm not a complete stranger to the BIOS screen, it's just intimidating every time. If my current problem was the memory, wouldn't I get further in the boot up process than... nowhere? I mean, the monitor doesn't even come out of standby... literally the only thing that happens when I try to power up is fans spin, LEDs light up, and that horrible, repeating beep.

Jinn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, yeah, forgot your immediate problem was not being able to POST :oops:

One of the first things POST tests is your memory, so I don't think you'd get very far if that were the problem. On the other hand, a mobo with no memory can at least output a signal to the monitor, even if it's just a message saying "no RAM installed, OS will not be loaded".

It can be a lot of things, and PSU is certainly likely, but IMO it's worth at least trying to identify your mobo and find a manual online before you start ordering parts. It could just be an improperly seated cable or something. My old machine would bitch periodically and refuse to boot... sometimes it would be because I plugged the CPU fan into a different lead so that even though it was spinning, the mobo detected 0 RPMs and wouldn't POST. I know you didn't say you made any hardware changes recently; this is just an example of how many random things can cause your system to refuse to POST. Each sequence of beeps means something; a manual would go a long way toward identifying exactly what your problem is.

whuppins on