As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Night Vision Goggles ?

TetsugenTetsugen Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Theoretical question:

If you were to wear night vision goggles in a moving vehicle (lets say army surplus brand), would the vision from the goggles be blurred since the car is moving ?

Tetsugen on

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not really. Night vision goggles, traditional ones (not thermal), merely amplify the energy (light) it gets so your eyes can discern images and shapes more easily.

edit: the explanation.

so there isn't any lag between what the camera and you are seeing. It's static in a sort of way

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can you explain more of the static? Conditions would be highway pitch black.

Tetsugen on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes, your visual field would be shot to shit. Night vision goggles tend to have a very poor visual field depth, and you lose a lot of image contrast. If you're in a car, you're going to have a lot of trouble seeing anything clearly, especially since there are probably going to be lights coming from the console that will interfere with the goggles too.

*edit*
    If you're actually thinking about driving with night vision goggles on, make sure all your affairs are in order before you hit the road, and try not to take out too many other people with you.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What I meant by static is that exactly what comes in the camera, shows up on the screen. There is no digital processing occuring, no data is being created out of thin air.

It merely amplifies the number of electrons that it gets.

However, night vision does require some light to work. It isn't magic and cannot actually see in complete darkness. So if you were using an older version of them, in extremely low light, you may get a crappy or blurred image as it is unable to amplify anything.

edit:
    you're up to no good aren't you? I agree with the guy above me I wouldn't drive with them. Depth perception goes out the window, not to mention you can only see a small area at a time.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You lose your depth perception. Holes and shadows tend to blend together. Its hard, and you need to concentrate. Unless you're in Iraq running a night convoy in blackout conditions, you have no reason for doing this. If you driving with NVGs, your lights aren't on, which is a risk to everyone else.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mastman wrote: »
    What I meant by static is that exactly what comes in the camera, shows up on the screen. There is no digital processing occuring, no data is being created out of thin air.

So more like the noise on a digital camera when you bump the ISO up?

phamtq on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    You lose your depth perception. Holes and shadows tend to blend together. Its hard, and you need to concentrate. Unless you're in Iraq running a night convoy in blackout conditions, you have no reason for doing this. If you driving with NVGs, your lights aren't on, which is a risk to everyone else.

Everything said here is true. You can drive with night vision goggles...I've done it often enough. I've driven 60 mph with the fucking things. But you'll have no depth perception (other than monocular cues), and nobody else will be able to see you. On an open road where you know there will be no other cars, I see no problem with giving it a go. But I have no idea where you could secure such a stretch in any civilized nation, except maybe a test track.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why the heck do you want to do this again?

CangoFett on
  • Options
    slackersupremeslackersupreme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In addition to losing depth perception you're peripheral vision will be non-existent, making checking a blind spot very hard and the overall operation of the car much more dangerous.

To others, Tetsugen may be considering using these as a passenger in a vehicle at night and not planning some stealth road trip destined to end in twisted metal.

slackersupreme on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To others, Tetsugen may be considering using these as a passenger in a vehicle at night and not planning some stealth road trip destined to end in twisted metal.
    If this were the case, wouldn't the car have lights on? And wouldn't that really fuck up your vision?

Tetsugen, if you decide to do this, make sure you're not doing it near anyone or anything anyone likes, and please, try to document it all as best as possible, to make things easier for the Darwin Award committee.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I asked a theoretical question, and I'm not actually planning to use these in a car, but on a older snow mobile that I might buy this coming winter.

Tetsugen on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tetsugen wrote: »
    I asked a theoretical question, and I'm not actually planning to use these in a car, but on a older snow mobile that I might buy this coming winter.
    You know you can mount a light on those, right?

Frankly, if anything, this is even more likely to get you killed. Those things are dangerous when your vision is limited by snow, let alone reduced to a narrow band directly in front of your face. On the plus side, you'll probably just kill yourself; you're not likely to take anyone down with you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks everyone for their advice, but I feel that this thread is going to become a shit fest in a little bit so please lock it.

To give everyone a piece of mind, I'm currently just researching my options for night lighting (as compared to retrofitting HID lights into the snow mobile); and the only place I have to use this is on a huge empty farm.

Tetsugen on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your field of vision is way too narrow with them, unless you get the top of the line, not available to civilians type.

Retrofit some Xenon HID lights to it (find cheap kits with bulb and ballast online) and it'll be a much better solution.

powerss on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    powerss wrote: »
    Your field of vision is way too narrow with them, unless you get the top of the line, not available to civilians type.

Retrofit some Xenon HID lights to it (find cheap kits with bulb and ballast online) and it'll be a much better solution.

Even the kind the military uses don't generally have a great field of vision.

I'll go ahead and say it more nicely than others have...this is probably not the best option for this situation. I'd go with just mounting a light of some kind.

EDIT: Though if we're truly talking about open (as in no real obstacles) farmland, you could probably get away with NVGs...but they'll probably cost as much if not more than lights, and be less useful (as in, if you ever wanted to leave said farmland).

mcdermott on
This discussion has been closed.