As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On the hunt for the fabled Wavebird...

JakeratboyJakeratboy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Hey kids, got me a Wii, and wanna get into some of those VC whatchacallits.

So, looking for a Wavebird, but keep finding a lot of places have stopped carrying them (wonder why?) Anyone know a reliable site to buy one new? Even Amazon is only showing them from other sellers.

Also, I won't need a memory stick for the VCs, right? Only if I have a gamecube game on disc?

Some people get pictures... All I've got are words. Letters and numbers and exclamation points!
Jakeratboy on

• YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You don't need any kind of memory for VC games, unless you run out of space on the internal memory.

As for the wavebird, try your local gamestops/ebs. My store still have a few wavebirds in the back. Or you might find a used one.

YodaTuna on
  • BelskieTheNinjaBelskieTheNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I picked one up at Target in Atlanta just a few months ago. Moral of the story, I think your best bet is a B&M joint that might not move a lot of product - or one likely to have stuff 8 months old.

BelskieTheNinja on
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm still disappointed that they never made different colored wavebirds. Specially since I need new ones.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kato wrote: »
    I'm still disappointed that they never made different colored wavebirds. Specially since I need new ones.

They made grey and Silver.

Edit: Platinum, sorry, not silver.

LewieP on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

But I want purple and black.

Veevee on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

Screwdriver + spraypaint are your friend.

LewieP on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FWIW, don't bother with a WB get a CC instead. The buttons on the WB are set wrong in VC, so it throws off my muscle memory in SMW :(

ben0207 on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    FWIW, don't bother with a WB get a CC instead. The buttons on the WB are set wrong in VC, so it throws off my muscle memory in SMW :(

Plus, the classic controller has a bigger/better d-pad. You can also probably find it cheaper, since it's like 20 bucks.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got a grey Wavebird my friend gave me before he moved, and I don't have the fucking receiver. Is there anywhere I can buy a new one? Do they sell them seperately in stores?

EDIT: NM, I found them in Nintendo's online store for like 15$. Awesome.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I need a wavebird to play actual GCN games. I agree that the CC is better, and it's pretty crappy that there's no support for that. Paper Mario & tTYD isn't going to play itself!

Also, Play-Asia is still selling them.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • PicklesPickles Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    043 wrote: »
    I've got a grey Wavebird my friend gave me before he moved, and I don't have the fucking receiver. Is there anywhere I can buy a new one? Do they sell them seperately in stores?

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?lastAction=setCurr&jspStoreDir=NOASTORE&languageId=-1&catalogId=10001&categoryId=44009&productId=10651&currency=USD&storeId=10001&ddkey=SetCurrencyPreference

EDIT: D'oh. You beat me. Left link for anyone else with same issue.

Pickles on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

Screwdriver + spraypaint are your friend.

If you've ever seen me using spraypaint you wouldn't say that.

Veevee on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been looking for a decently-priced Wavebird or two for the next Smash Bros., and I can't seem to find the damn things anywhere. Even the EBStops in my part of the world don't have them.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gamecube controllers are not suitable at all for SNES games. A classic controller is basically required.

Zek on
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I've been looking for a decently-priced Wavebird or two for the next Smash Bros., and I can't seem to find the damn things anywhere. Even the EBStops in my part of the world don't have them.

Same here none at the Ebstops, CC, or BB I frequent... quite sad really.

Brue on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you really want a Wavebird your best bet is probably eBay. If Nintendo is smart they'll send out some more shipments in preparation for Brawl, but who knows.

Zek on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Gamecube controllers are not suitable at all for SNES games. A classic controller is basically required.

That's not true. I went through Super Castlevania and DKC just fine with my wavebird.

A wavebird is also a pretty good deal if you ever intend to play any GCN games at all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's not true. I went through Super Castlevania and DKC just fine with my wavebird.

A wavebird is also a pretty good deal if you ever intend to play any GCN games at all.
    You played through DKC with a Wavebird? It's impossible to run and jump without using two fingers. Same in Mario World.

mntorankusu on
  • JakeratboyJakeratboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmm.. Yeah, I was kind of depending on the Wavebird to be a catch-all for the VCs, especially since I never got to play the N64 Paper Mario. I'm gonna fill the long, lonely spaces between Wii releases with VC and GC games I never got to play (because Nintendo and I weren't speaking to each other after the debacle that was the N64).

But, I can't believe you have to buy the classic controller too. That's so lame.

Ah well, what can you do? Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll check my local electronics enclaves for the old-school hookup.

Thanks.

Jakeratboy on
    Some people get pictures... All I've got are words. Letters and numbers and exclamation points!
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jakeratboy wrote: »
    Hmm.. Yeah, I was kind of depending on the Wavebird to be a catch-all for the VCs, especially since I never got to play the N64 Paper Mario. I'm gonna fill the long, lonely spaces between Wii releases with VC and GC games I never got to play (because Nintendo and I weren't speaking to each other after the debacle that was the N64).

But, I can't believe you have to buy the classic controller too. That's so lame.

Don't listen to them. The GameCube controllers works just fine for most VC games. While it's impossible to play a few SNES games, I can't imagine you'll have any trouble at all playing an RPG like Paper Mario (or really, any N64 game) using it. Just check with the VC thread about any games you want to play beforehand, and you'll be fine with a Wavebird.

SilentCoconut on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You played through DKC with a Wavebird? It's impossible to run and jump without using two fingers. Same in Mario World.

Big deal, I just hold down the run button with my middle finger. Play it more like a semi cramped arcade stick. Works fine.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Big deal, I just hold down the run button with my middle finger. Play it more like a semi cramped arcade stick. Works fine.
    So you're saying it works perfectly fine, despite having to hold the controller in an awkward manner?

mntorankusu on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DKC and Super Mario World are what finally convinced me to get a classic controller (well, two actually) and I personally am glad I did, but different people are different so whatever.

As far as wavebirds, when I looked last November (I know, a long time ago, but at some point it's not that long relative to how long it's been) there were a number of them at Fred Meyer, which is just a semi-local general store, so don't be afraid to check Wal-Mart etc. as well.

Cervetus on
  • JakeratboyJakeratboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Couldn't get any at any Gamespot, no Best Buy or Circuit City had them in stock...

But I stop by Kmart, and I'll be damned if they didn't have one. Albeit a cheap knock-off, but I tried it and it works.
    To be fair, the handle cover just broke off of the left hand-rest handle.. thingy. But that's what tape was invented for, right?

Also, there's no battery cover. But, that's what tape and cardboard were invented for, right?

Jakeratboy on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DO NOT BUY A USED WAVEBIRD!!

I bought one once and it was in a bag that I was unable to test it in. I paid $15 for it, and the thing had the hell played out of it. The shoulder buttons didn't click, there were visible indentations and gray lines on all sides of the analog and C-sticks, and the A, B, X, and Y buttons didn't press well.. basically it's a GameCube controller that has seen unfathomable wear. I've had 4 controllers since 2001, and none of them - none of them - are anywhere close to this wear and tear.

It's a cruel thing, so learn from my experience and shell out the extra $5 (hell, even $15 if you can't find one discounted) to buy a new Wavebird. I got mine at Walmart for $20 despite the $30 pricetag.

Black Ice on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    brynstar wrote: »

Plus, the classic controller has a bigger/better d-pad. You can also probably find it cheaper, since it's like 20 bucks.

Yes, however the CC doesn't give you the ability to play GC games wirelessly.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Black Ice wrote: »

I bought one once and it was in a bag that I was unable to test it in. I paid $15 for it, and the thing had the hell played out of it. The shoulder buttons didn't click, there were visible indentations and gray lines on all sides of the analog and C-sticks, and the A, B, X, and Y buttons didn't press well.. basically it's a GameCube controller that has seen unfathomable wear. I've had 4 controllers since 2001, and none of them - none of them - are anywhere close to this wear and tear.

It's a cruel thing, so learn from my experience and shell out the extra $5 (hell, even $15 if you can't find one discounted) to buy a new Wavebird. I got mine at Walmart for $20 despite the $30 pricetag.

That must have been a bad experience for you then, because I bought two used for $10 each a while ago and they work like a charm.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Wavebirds are getting pretty hard to find new, since they're out of production now. Sooner or later you're not going to have any choice but to buy a used one.

mntorankusu on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I dunno. I'm kind of a big guy and the CC is awfully small by comparison. I suppose I could get used to it, but I'm very comfortable with a wavebird. Plus, doesn't the wiimote (And therefore the CC) stop working when you run a GC game?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man, I didn't realize they were getting rare now. I was planning on waiting until brawl came out to finally pick one up.

SaraLuna on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Maybe I should invest in another Wavebird while they are still abundant here...

DarkPrimus on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I could probably stand to get one, too. Some of the buttons are getting kinda screwy on mine, and fuck me, I'm using a Wavebird for Brawl.

Elendil on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It was used, in a bag, and in bad shape... did you at least bring it back?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Maybe I should invest in another Wavebird while they are still abundant here...

Agreed. I'll probably pick one up the next time I have some cash to burn.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Most places here have already quit carrying gamecube stuff (even games!) D: Still plenty of PS2 stuff to go around though. :x

powersurge on
  • sleepykissessleepykisses Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    sleepykisses on
    PIXEL_LOGO.gif
    mypace
    Wii: 2992 8651 9498 7353
    PS3: secretsquares
    edited August 2007
    Behold! They're all either used or ridiculously priced. Or both.

Edit: That's including the ones on eBay.

mntorankusu on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It was used, in a bag, and in bad shape... did you at least bring it back?

There was some reason I didn't at the time. I'm not sure if it was because there wasn't a return policy for used goods or what..

Black Ice on
  • sleepykissessleepykisses Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i don't know... 30 dollars doesn't seem like that much if you can't find it anywhere else.

sleepykisses on
    PIXEL_LOGO.gif
    mypace
    Wii: 2992 8651 9498 7353
    PS3: secretsquares
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

How did you get them to sell it to you for $10 off?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg