As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[deleted]

TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
edited July 2022 in Help / Advice Forum
[deleted]

Taximes on

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    [deleted]

Taximes on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Definitely sounds like a PSU problem. The first thing I would do is unplug the PSU from the motherboard and see if it's toasted there. That happened to my girlfriend's computer.

It's possible there was some kind of power surge too.

The PSU also holds power even after the system has turned off, which is probably why it's still hot. Maybe try unplugging it for a day or so and let the juice run out of the capacitors and see what happens after that.

YodaTuna on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Unplug the PSU completely as the previous poster said, otherwise it still draws power. I'm going to take a random guess and say the fan failed, therefore making the PSU shutdown. This happened to mine but I happened to be sitting at the computer when it happened, I just heard the fan stop and then 2 seconds later the computer shut down.

FyreWulff on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    [deleted]

Taximes on
  • Judge Joe BrownJudge Joe Brown Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    95% of PSU's are the same size.

Get an enermax, antec, or zippy power supply. Very few other brands make a PSU worth using.

580w is a very large PSU. What's under the hood? You could probably get away with 450w easily.

Judge Joe Brown on