As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best video-card?

CicadaCicada Registered User new member
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm getting a Dell XPA m140 that i plan on using for gaming and was wondering what the best video card is for gaming?

Cicada on

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd say the 8800 GTX.

Projeck on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

This is an excellent, excellent place to start. Set the benchmark dropdown to "all games fps", it's at the bottom of the list.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The best?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133189

Edit: Just so that no douchebag comes along and whines about it, this is obviously a joke post. The card is not really meant for gaming. The best affordable gaming cards currently out are the 8800 GTX and Ultra.

JAEF on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait, you're talking about the XPS M140? That's a laptop, and a discontinued one at that. Elaborate?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Anyway, for more specific advice:

- Right now Nvidia is widely considered the better alternative to ATI's offerings in pretty much every area.

- The best video card value to performance-wise depends on the resolutions you plan on running at. Common thinking seems to be that unless you are going to be running at resolutions greater than 1680x1050, the 8800GTS 320mb is an excellent sweet spot right now, otherwise the 640mb card is recommended.

- Nvidia's next Geforce cards have been speculated to drop "soon" for seemingly forever now. Now that specifications for DX10.1 are out, we may hear concrete info soon. Tough to say.

Edit: Oh, well, if it's a laptop you're getting, you're dealing with a whole 'nother beast.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »

Oh wow.

That's fightnening.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Wait, you're talking about the XPS M140? That's a laptop, and a discontinued one at that. Elaborate?

Is it really discontinued? my brother has it and It seems really nice so i was just going to buy it cause its easy to work with...damn that sucks that its discontinued...so whats the best gaming laptop?

Cicada on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cicada wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Is it really discontinued? my brother has it and It seems really nice so i was just going to buy it cause its easy to work with...damn that sucks that its discontinued...so whats the best gaming laptop?

You're not going to be gaming on a laptop, mate.

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ...so whats the best gaming laptop?

I don't have your answer, but pardon me while I take the soapbox for a moment.

Gaming laptops are a pretty terrible investment. For one, given a laptop and a desktop of equal power, the laptop is going to be more expensive. The gap between prices gets exponentially larger as you get into gaming-powerhouse territory.

Most laptops are extremely limited in their upgrade options, beyond the very basics, like RAM.

Finally, all that power comes at a price. High-end gaming laptops are typically large, heavy, consume battery power extremely quickly, and output a ton of heat. You can get nice gaming laptops that lack some (or maybe even all) of these problems, but oh lord, are you going to pay through the nose.

So, my plea is this: If you're thinking about paying through the nose, say, $2000 for a gaming laptop, and you don't absolutely need a portable gaming rig...drop a grand on a desktop and a grand on a laptop. You can get an absolutely awesome gaming desktop, and a nice, portable-friendly laptop. Your small laptop will be nice and easy to carry around, and your gaming rig will be easily upgradeable, and you'll be a lot happier, instead of having a very heavy $2000 paperweight in a year and a half.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Listen to Mr. Hawk there.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hamju wrote: »

3rd'd

LewieP on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Hamju wrote: »

3rd'd
    Srsly

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

...they call it an FX5500 D:

That's like someone coming out with a new supercar and deciding to call it an Edsel D:

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So what you want is really advice on gaming laptops rather than on video cards.

Here is my advice:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529664469.php

Core 2 duo 2ghz, 2gb ram, GeForce Go 7900GS 256mb for $1500 after instant discount.

However, that is if you absolutely must get a gaming laptop. That thing is probably horribly heavy and probably has terrible battery life.

Also, if you add extras such as a warranty, phone Gateway and try to negotiate a price cut. They can do that, especially when you buy warranties.

Logicow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »

Gaming laptops are a pretty terrible investment. For one, given a laptop and a desktop of equal power, the laptop is going to be more expensive. The gap between prices gets exponentially larger as you get into gaming-powerhouse territory.

Most laptops are extremely limited in their upgrade options, beyond the very basics, like RAM.

Finally, all that power comes at a price. High-end gaming laptops are typically large, heavy, consume battery power extremely quickly, and output a ton of heat. You can get nice gaming laptops that lack some (or maybe even all) of these problems, but oh lord, are you going to pay through the nose.

So, my plea is this: If you're thinking about paying through the nose, say, $2000 for a gaming laptop, and you don't absolutely need a portable gaming rig...drop a grand on a desktop and a grand on a laptop. You can get an absolutely awesome gaming desktop, and a nice, portable-friendly laptop. Your small laptop will be nice and easy to carry around, and your gaming rig will be easily upgradeable, and you'll be a lot happier, instead of having a very heavy $2000 paperweight in a year and a half.

heh..never thought of that....so whats the best gaming Computer (Im retarted about computers :( )

Cicada on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

heh..never thought of that....so whats the best gaming Computer (Im retarted about computers :( )

The cheapest option would be to build it your self.

Projeck on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I don't really think he's ready for that. Though I'm sure he has a friend or two who can build it for him.

If that is the case, I'm sure any one here can suggest a cavalcade of parts to build a nice computer.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Well, I don't really think he's ready for that. Though I'm sure he has a friend or two who can build it for him.

If that is the case, I'm sure any one here can suggest a cavalcade of parts to build a nice computer.

I'm looking for one that can run S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Halflife 2, and City of Villains.

Edit: also I dont think i'd be able to build one...so is there a good one that I can buy?

Cicada on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Magus` wrote: »

I'm looking for one that can run S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Halflife 2, and City of Villains.

Edit: also I dont think i'd be able to build one...so is there a good one that I can buy?
    Best bet is to go to Bestbuy or any computer store around and pick one up. Just say NO to most of the upgrades and do not let the bill be over $600, as most of their offerings are not very future proof or easy to upgrade. Plus, you are going to spend an extra $150-$200 for a video card from newegg, because using the one they supply/buying one from the store/paying them $40 to do 15 seconds of work is a joke.

Sanders on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Monaro wrote: »

...they call it an FX5500 D:

That's like someone coming out with a new supercar and deciding to call it an Edsel D:

That's cause it pretty much is a geforce FX. Just with different firmware and memory.

Rook on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    The best?

Edit: Just so that no douchebag comes along and whines about it, this is obviously a joke post. The card is not really meant for gaming. The best affordable gaming cards currently out are the 8800 GTX and Ultra.

An 8800GTX will handily outperform that card at anything but 3DStudio Max.

Now, a Quadro 5600, on the other hand, that's just an 8800Ultra with 1.5 GB of RAM.

(but they don't sell those at newegg)
    Rook wrote: »
    That's cause it pretty much is a geforce FX. Just with different firmware and memory.

No, it's a Geforce 7900GTX with extra CAD/rendering crap in it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just picked up a 8800GTS with 640MB and it's quite nice for the price. 8800GTX or Ultra were the best performers that I could find on review sites but also cost the most. ATI's 2900XT was also a nice solution, but performance around the 8800GTS level and price was a bit higher.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmm some laptops do play the games you mentioned quite well. If you want a mobile gaming laptop the 8600GT(or GS) is a really nice card which doesn't draw too much power (e.g. makes laptop heavier) but does play most games at good speed.

Dell Inspiron 1502 / Dell Vostro 1500 / Dell XPS M1330 are some Dell Laptops with videocard capabilities.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Project37 wrote: »

The cheapest option would be to build it your self.

You know what, that age old statement is flawed beyond belief! I was planning on building a duo core rig myself to save money, and sure enough last week I found a pre built box from a local company that is better then what I was going to build for less money.

All a person has to do is look around for local company's (Ex: Not Alienware or Dell) and you will be amazed at the deals you can find, especially if they come with a hardware warranty.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Unless you got a complete parts list with brands and model numbers, and then did a web-based comparison per part, I highly doubt you got a pre-built box with all brand new parts that was cheaper than what you could have put together yourself.

It may have had the main components that you would have gotten, for a total price cheaper than what you might have put together, but for it be significantly cheaper would involve cost cutting on the items that you weren't paying attention to like the case, power supply, RAM, possibly a pirate OS, etc.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Go to Dell's small office section or however they call it and order a Vostro with Core 2 duo, 2gb of ram and a GeForce 8600 for under $1000.

edit: that is a laptop by the way.

Logicow on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would have to go with none.

Microsoft just made every video card on the market obsolete so they are all pretty useless right now. If you want the best you are going to need to wait until a DX 10.1 card hits the market, if you buy anything before that you are getting outdated hardware that is guaranteed not to be able to run things to their fullest due to all current hardware being unable to run Microsoft's new standard. Things out there might be fast and might be able to do everything that is there now, but the new standard has already been published and nothing can run it yet, so you are buying yourself straight into a dead market.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Not really.

Game companies have no reason not to support older versions. Most new games coming out still support Pixel Shader 2, let alone DX10.1 that requires vista and a card that is not out on the market yet.

Plus, a good portion of games are multiplatform and have simultaneous releases on consoles. With Core 2 duo, 2gb of ram and a middle-range card with Shader 3, you should be set to play any of those.

Logicow on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    I would have to go with none.

Microsoft just made every video card on the market obsolete so they are all pretty useless right now. If you want the best you are going to need to wait until a DX 10.1 card hits the market, if you buy anything before that you are getting outdated hardware that is guaranteed not to be able to run things to their fullest due to all current hardware being unable to run Microsoft's new standard. Things out there might be fast and might be able to do everything that is there now, but the new standard has already been published and nothing can run it yet, so you are buying yourself straight into a dead market.

You really need to read this thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=32131

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

An 8800GTX will handily outperform that card at anything but 3DStudio Max.

Now, a Quadro 5600, on the other hand, that's just an 8800Ultra with 1.5 GB of RAM.

(but they don't sell those at newegg)

Yeah, I was at SIGGRAPH last week and I talked to some guy at the nVIDIA booth about the Quadros vs. the 8series (there was a show special at a vendor booth where I could get some low-end Quadro card for the same price as a mid-range 8series, so I was toying with the idea of zomgQUADROZ!). The guy said that the FX 5600 will perform the same as the top-range of the 8series on games, and the difference between the cards is in serious graphics rendering for people who do that stuff for a living, like line anti-aliasing and stuff, which are capabilities that a game doesn't access. For a user like me, the only difference I would experience between the two lines of cards would be the customer support and warrantee :P

As for laptop vs. desktop, I would have to agree that, unless you have a neurotic need to be able to take your gaming anywhere (like me), it's not worth the extra investment. A gaming laptop will cost easily twice as much as a comparably equipped desktop. Having said that, I personally love being able to play games almost anywhere (with a power outlet, that is -- most gaming laptops don't go for more than 2 hours on a single battery). The model I got (E1705) is fairly light for a desktop-replacement type laptop (about 7lbs, I think); certainly nowhere near the behemoth that is my boyfriend's XPS (a little over 10lbs).

As for building your own, I think the price difference from buying one from Dell/HP/whatever is nearly negligible, unless you're really good at bargain-hunting. I bought a bunch of parts from Fry's a couple years ago and put a system together for a little over $1000 (I think it would have been around $800 if I had the patience to order from newegg), and my boyfriend configured a Dell for about the same price, maybe a little cheaper. There are plenty of good reasons to build your own desktop rather than buying one pre-built, but price isn't one of them. In fact, it might end up costing you more when stuff breaks, because you might have to shell out your own money to buy replacement parts.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Logicow wrote: »
    Not really.

Game companies have no reason not to support older versions. Most new games coming out still support Pixel Shader 2, let alone DX10.1 that requires vista and a card that is not out on the market yet.

Plus, a good portion of games are multiplatform and have simultaneous releases on consoles. With Core 2 duo, 2gb of ram and a middle-range card with Shader 3, you should be set to play any of those.

Yeah, they will support older hardware but that doesnt mean current hardware will be able to run things to it's fullest. I could get a top of the line DX 9 card and run stuff really well but I will be missing out in a lot of things. All cards that are currently only DX 10 will be able to run things but as soon as the first DX 10.1 game hits the market you will need to cut back on features when you play.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The best?

An 8800GTX will handily outperforblahblahblahblahlablhalhalbalhlah
    Thanks you fucking douchebag.

JAEF on