Options

Masters of Science Fiction

13»

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Are you the type of person who whenever someone is talking about a movie version of a book, you have to jump in saying, "The books was better..."?

Please say you aren't.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Uh

generally the books are.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zonugal wrote: »
    hey now, that's no fair; I asked you first

I was just asking to clarrify.

Well, they could get together a terrific script writer, director, actors, cinematographer, and crew.

But you probably wouldn't be satisfied with that would you?

But, um, Lovecraft often directs his attentions towards things that aren't adequately conveyed through the terrestrial senses. That's kind of the point of writing about it.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only example I can think of where the adaptation is better than the source material is Dexter.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    also, bourne

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't read the Bourne novels but that is generally agreed upon, yeah.

I look forward to the A Song Of Ice And Fire HBO series, though. That should be rad, provided they get some good actors. But they're HBO, so they should.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Uh

generally the books are.

You know, I have generally found that the only reason someone says the book was better than the film is they actually want to tell you they read a book.

Because everyone fucking knows the book is better than the film, it's like saying the sun is hot.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    the word you are looking for is truism

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Sometimes the Film adaptation is so different from the source material that I treat them as separate entities so I can enjoy both of them.

Examples: I, Robot and V for Vendetta.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    the word you are looking for is irrelevant.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Sometimes the Film adaptation is so different from the source material that I treat them as separate entities so I can enjoy both of them.

Examples: Heart of Darkness

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    precision in language is irrelevant.

also, I am a class-hole

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yo, Staleghoti, we all abide by the sig size rule, so put something in a spoiler tag, because I don't feel like page downing twice to get past your sig.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    precision in language is irrelevant.

also, I am a class-hole

Precision in language is fine, but Zonugal was totally failing to argue his point by trying to claim some global Jewish liberal media pro-book bias or whatever.
    Dislexic wrote: »
    Yo, Staleghoti, we all abide by the sig size rule, so put something in a spoiler tag, because I don't feel like page downing twice to get past your sig.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    dudes i only read Bourne Identity but i thought the book was better than the film. Mainly because the book already seemed like a really awesome action movie story, and i don't understand why they took out such a cool element.

for those that don't know,
    the book revolves around the Jackal

anyway, i just watched both of the Masters episodes, and they are pretty darn good.

Faricazy on