As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer broke, what do I do?

icebergiceberg Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a PC tower that I built myself about four years ago. Recently, it stopped booting up properly. I push the on button and everything seems okay except nothing shows up on the screen. PSU, CPU, video card, and case fans all operate. I've read around on what could be going on with it and it seems like its either my processor or my motherboard, though correct me if you think otherwise. The problem I'm having is that I can't really test any parts in a different computer because I don't have any other ones (aside from this macbook). I'm at a loss as to what to do.

iceberg on

• PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't really test any parts

You = hosed.

Suck it up and take it to a shop.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Voodoo fix, is usually a good first step. Take everything apart, and then put back together the absolute minimum of things you need. E.g. 1 stick of ram, no additional cards if possible.

Another thing you can try is clearing the CMOS, should be instructions on how to do that in your motherboard manual.

Rook on
  • IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    iceberg wrote: »
    I have a PC tower that I built myself about four years ago. Recently, it stopped booting up properly. I push the on button and everything seems okay except nothing shows up on the screen. PSU, CPU, video card, and case fans all operate. I've read around on what could be going on with it and it seems like its either my processor or my motherboard, though correct me if you think otherwise. The problem I'm having is that I can't really test any parts in a different computer because I don't have any other ones (aside from this macbook). I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I would check the monitor. Since you do have another computer, it should be easy -- just hook up your laptop to the monitor and enable secondary display (or whatever Mac voodoo you do) and see if it will display input from your laptop. If not, then you should get a new monitor and hook it up to your PC and see if stuff shows up now. It really could be something as stupid as your display kabooming.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]