As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 on an LCD Monitor?

Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I know some folks here are running their 360 on a computer monitor, I was looking for some advice.

I don't have an HDTV, and don't have room for anything over 26" or so anyway. Sadly the smallest 1080p set I could find was 32". So I figured a decent 24" 1920x1200 monitor would do. I'm looking at this one at the moment,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824255001

It's got VGA, Composite, Component, and HDMI (should I decide to get an Elite). I hear Wesinghouse is a decent enough brand, and the reviews are fairly good.

My biggest question is sound. Its got speakers, but I'm just gonna assume they're crap. What would be the best (yet still reasonably expensive) way to get decent sound?

Snake Gandhi on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I actually have pretty much the exact same question, seeing as I just got my new monitor.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have been wondering the exact same thing too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had bought a Westinghouse 19 inch widescreen LCD Monitor before, and ended up returning it because it was blurry as all fuck with it ghosting all over the place from a bad refresh rate. Granted this was a $200 model so you might have better luck with something more expensive from them that isn't a piece of trash, but I ended up getting a $300 ViewSonic that works perfectly for gaming, and if I was to buy a new monitor I'd probably be looking at ViewSonics first myself.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As far as I know (and this is strictly second-hand knowledge, as I do not have a 360) VGA is really nice on LCD monitors. Usually built in speakers on LCD's suck, so you will need external sound, which works much the same way as outputting a dvd or tvs audio. You could go the optical audio route, which gives great quality. Not sure how 1080p would be done, but I am almost certain you would need a HDCP compliant device to do so.

ronzo on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It can do 1080p over components.

Just route the sound into your soundcard.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    These days with HDMI 360s, would using HDMI->DVI work even better than VGA?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

1080p is impossible over component cables. You have to use HDMI, or a HDMI-to-DVI cable.

If you can get line in on a soundcard to work that porbably is the bet thing to do

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Really? I hear it could. Huh.

The cables can carry the signal though.

edit: for the record i'm running mine over VGA into my LCD, and the sound into my speaker's AUX.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

What if you don't have a sound card?

(For the record my only PC is a Dell Laptop)

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It has a microphone port, doesn't it? It should work.

edit: you'll be using the laptop speakers to play games? Ehhh...might as well get a decent set of speakers. They don't have to be expensive.

I'm running Altec MX5021's.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I recently got a 360 and it's running on my Dell 2405FPW lcd. It's pretty nice. Everyone says vga is the way to go for a monitor but for some reason on this monitor it's the other way around, component is where it's at and people say VGA colours are washed out.
    My only complaint is my sound, I got a Y-jack so that I could plug into the aux on my speakers but I only get mono out of 1 speaker, though I don't care too much. I'll need to invest in a better setup sometime in the future.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sounds like it's your speakers doing. Have you tried plugging it into your computer's Line In?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I actually have the same problem with my speakers, using the Y-adapter to plug the Red/White audio cables into my soundcards Line in, it puts both channels out of one speaker.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    oh guys

your Y-adapter, does it support stereo?

if it does, you should have two black bars on it. the one that came with the VGA kit does.

i have another one from radioshack that is mono.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    oh guys

if it does, you should have two black bars on it. the one that came with the VGA kit does.

Mine is the one that came with Microsoft's VGA adapter, and yet I still have the problem of it not sending the signal to my left and right speakers.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been using this TV with my 360 for a few months now, and it's been great. It's not the highest quality HDTV out there, but it gets the job done. Oblivion looks gorgeous, as does Overlord and Dead Rising.

When I tried hooking it up with the component cables, it would underscan the 720p really bad, and, of course, 1080 is out of it's resolution. Once I hooked up the VGA cable, though, it has worked great, running at 1360x768, and the picture is perfect.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    oh guys

No idea, it was the only available jack that The Source had and I needed some kind of sound solution because the linein on my onboard sound wont go to my speakers. I think it's a vista issue, I can see that the line in is creating sound but there's no option under my speakers to unmute it.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ronzo wrote: »

Just route the sound into your sound card.

1080p is impossible over component cables. You have to use HDMI, or a HDMI-to-DVI cable.

If you can get line in on a sound card to work that probably is the bet thing to do

Pretty sure this isn't true considering the system had the option to output 1080p WAY before there was a HDMI xbox.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think the 360 supports 16:10 mode, so try to get a 16:9 monitor.

Abels on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I used a VGA cable with my 22" LCD for a while, before I got a new TV. My monitor could run a maximum of 1024x768 (when you use a VGA cable for the 360, it gives you standard PC resolution options).

But anyway, it looked really good; definitely as good as any standard HDTV - though some games did have problems with v-sync, so sometimes you'd get slight tearing in the sides of the screen. It might just have been my monitor, though.

And yeah, if you plan on making this a permanent solution, definitely invest in a 16:9 monitor.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I used a VGA cable with my 22" LCD for a while, before I got a new TV. My monitor could run a maximum of 1024x768 (when you use a VGA cable for the 360, it gives you standard PC resolution options).

But anyway, it looked really good; definitely as good as any standard HDTV - though some games did have problems with v-sync, so sometimes you'd get slight tearing in the sides of the screen. It might just have been my monitor, though.

And yeah, if you plan on making this a permanent solution, definitely invest in a 16:9 monitor.

I don't know if it's the same for all monitors but mine is 16:10 and I just choose to play with some small barely noticeable black bars, like 1cm top and bottom rather than having it stretched.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ronzo wrote: »

Just route the sound into your sound card.

If you can get line in on a sound card to work that probably is the bet thing to do

Pretty sure this isn't true considering the system had the option to output 1080p WAY before there was a HDMI xbox.
    IIR 1080p is possible over component, but only if the display supports it, and very few do anymore.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, I knew I was right.

Plenty of displays support 1080p over components.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »

This gets me thinking...

If I decided I didn't care about 1080p, how high of a resolution would i need for 720p to look good? Isn't 720p like 1280x800 or there abouts?

I ask because I see this monitor,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014146

It's a 20' Benq that does 1650x1050, and it's a lot cheaper. Would a 360 support that resolution?

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It doesn't via VGA. I'm running it at 1366x768. It looks good.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You could only find 32in+ with 1080P? Weird. This is something I plan on getting...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254020

People seem to be loving it for their 360's...

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fantastic reading comprehension.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    You could only find 32in+ with 1080P? Weird. This is something I plan on getting...

I think he was talking about a teevee. Not a monitor. Granted, they both do the same thing, but I'd only want that monitor if I was gaming in my cubicle or my dorm room. Otherwise a 32" would be perfect.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

I think he was talking about a teevee. Not a monitor. Granted, they both do the same thing, but I'd only want that monitor if I was gaming in my cubicle or my dorm room. Otherwise a 32" would be perfect.
    Yeah, I was originally looking of an HDTV. And I don't have much room, so I wanted a 26" TV, but since I sit pretty close to the screen a 24" or 20" monitor would be groovy.

edit- I should probably mention that I'm a truck driver, so I'm looking for something I can put back in the sleeper cab. And it's a company truck, so no mounting big HDTV's, which is why I need small.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    SPARTAN086-MikeSPARTAN086-Mike Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is there a reason it has to be 1080p? Your not really going to see much of a difference in a screen that size, but if your using it as a PC monitor aswell there is that advantage. I use a Samsung 32" HDTV (1366x768) as my gaming TV and vastly prefer it over my Dell 2407WFP for gaming (the 2407wfp is 24" and 1080p, and I see no noticeable difference in image quality in games or movies).

In terms of sound, even though my Samsung HDTV has decent speakers, I output the sound through my JBL Creature 2 Speakers. The 360 has plugs for this via the VGA cable, and with the PS3 you can have video output via HDMI and switch sound to Output via the A/V port OR the optical port.

For reference, these are the speakers I use, had them a year already and don't see myself replacing them anytime soon! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836101011

SPARTAN086-Mike on
    SIERRA+086.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, I was originally looking of an HDTV. And I don't have much room, so I wanted a 26" TV, but since I sit pretty close to the screen a 24" or 20" monitor would be groovy.

edit- I should probably mention that I'm a truck driver, so I'm looking for something I can put back in the sleeper cab. And it's a company truck, so no mounting big HDTV's, which is why I need small.

See, this makes perfect sense. In this case you'll save money getting a big monitor instead of a small hdtv.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is there a reason it has to be 1080p? Your not really going to see much of a difference in a screen that size, but if your using it as a PC monitor aswell there is that advantage. I use a Samsung 32" HDTV (1366x768) as my gaming TV and vastly prefer it over my Dell 2407WFP for gaming (the 2407wfp is 24" and 1080p, and I see no noticeable difference in image quality in games or movies).
    Not really. But since I started thinking about a monitor, I figured might as well get 1080p. I could more than live with 720, but finding a good 26" or so 720 HDTV isn't easy, as all anyone seems to review is the big ones.
    In terms of sound, even though my Samsung HDTV has decent speakers, I output the sound through my JBL Creature 2 Speakers. The 360 has plugs for this via the VGA cable, and with the PS3 you can have video output via HDMI and switch sound to Output via the A/V port OR the optical port.

For reference, these are the speakers I use, had them a year already and don't see myself replacing them anytime soon! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836101011
    Those look promising, thanks.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    how does one convert 1080p/i, 780p/i and 480p/i into resolutions anyway?

LewieP on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

See, this makes perfect sense. In this case you'll save money getting a big monitor instead of a small hdtv.

So... wouldn't the monitor I linked be a pretty good choice then?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Those are numbers of vertical lines.
    1920x1080

1280x720

720x480

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

480p/i = 852x480

720p = 1280x720

1080i/p = 1920x1080

^ above me thinks hes so much better than me

but my numbers are more correct so nyah

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    so for different aspect ratio's the number of horizontal pixels changes? or does the shape of each pixel change?

Edit: because I have a 17" monitor that does 1280x1080, so does that count at 4:3 1080p?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm pretty sure 480p is more commonly 720x480

but that may depend on the region

doesn't the PAL 480 res differ from the NTCS?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    so for different aspect ratio's the number of horizontal pixels changes? or does the shape of each pixel change?
    number

it'd be pretty dumb if the shape changed, you won't have any additional information on the screen

edit: that's not to say there aren't screen that do this. there are a bunch of "widescreen" EDTV sets that have a res of 1024x1024, which does result in rectangular pixels.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    PAL SD is 568 (iirc), but at 50hz.
    number

it'd be pretty dumb if the shape changed, you won't have any additional information on the screen

I think alot of the stuff to do with naming HD resolutions is dumb, I am certainly way above average competence for IT/AV stuff, and I still struggle to get my head round it.

LewieP on