As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragonball Z DVD box set releases

blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
You all know of the new Season releases for the Dragonball Z series? The uncut ones with the Japanese music (which I adore, although the theme still isn't "cha la, head cha la", anyone know why?)? They're fantastic, each season has like 6 discs and the whole set only costs around $35 on amazon.

I was interested to know whether FUNimation or whoever organized this will be doing the same for the dragonball and dragonball GT series aswell, that would be great as I haven't seen any of these bar two or three episodes. It's just so convinient and amazingly economical in comparison to the ridiculous price of like $24 for three episodes found on the individual discs.

Thanks for any help.

blue powder on

• Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think there are plans at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did after they were done with DBZ.

Also, those season sets might not be as appealing as you think. Daizenshuu EX routinely shits their pants about them. Episode 65 of the podcast goes into extensive detail as to why.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What arguments do they make about it?

I haven't been into dragon ball in years, but I still idle in the daizex irc room and talk to VegEx occassionally. I'm trying to listen to this podcast, but it just goes on forever and so far the gripes have been minor packaging issues, which I wouldn't care about for a $35 set of 36 or so episodes.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Funimation basically lied about "new footage" and putting it into widescreen. For "widescreen," they just cropped footage off of the top and bottom. I'm sure there were a host of other issues, but that one seems to stand out the most.

Also, they canceled releasing the "Ultimate Uncut" DVDs in favor of the new boxes, which left existing customers in the cold, but that clearly isn't an issue here.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You all know of the new Season releases for the Dragonball Z series? The uncut ones with the Japanese music (which I adore, although the theme still isn't "cha la, head cha la", anyone know why?)? They're fantastic, each season has like 6 discs and the whole set only costs around $35 on amazon.

I was interested to know whether FUNimation or whoever organized this will be doing the same for the dragonball and dragonball GT series aswell, that would be great as I haven't seen any of these bar two or three episodes. It's just so convinient and amazingly economical in comparison to the ridiculous price of like $24 for three episodes found on the individual discs.

Thanks for any help.
    I'm not sure about Dragonball GT, but Dragonball was originally released in 13 - 20 episode volumes and included the original music. They were only about $30 or so.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait, an entire season, 6 discs is only 35 bucks new?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well as far as it being wide screen and all, thats not that big of an issue. Is the original japanese audio track on here, too?

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What the fuck, ultimate uncut? Can they not just release this as it was meant to be released? Fucking FUNimation, this really frustrates me. They have like three differant "uncut" releases now.

Fuck those guys.

What were the other problems with the box sets?

Season three is actually out now, for $34 or something on amazon.

blue powder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    On another note, where in hell do I get these cd's from?

http://www.daizex.com/multimedia/music/hit_cds.shtml

blue powder on
  • Options
    Scott_CameronScott_Cameron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What the fuck, ultimate uncut? Can they not just release this as it was meant to be released? Fucking FUNimation, this really frustrates me. They have like three differant "uncut" releases now.

Fuck those guys.

Yeah, you think it wouldn't be hard. All we freaking want is the Japanese "DragonBox" releases, but with English subtitles. That's it. Simple, clean packaging, original Japanese 2.0 audio, untouched 4:3 video masters.

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Fuck those guys.

Yeah, you think it wouldn't be hard. All we freaking want is the Japanese "DragonBox" releases, but with English subtitles. That's it. Simple, clean packaging, original Japanese 2.0 audio, untouched 4:3 video masters.

That would be fantastic. I guess funimation are after a profit, which they far exceeded already, anyway.

blue powder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    Well as far as it being wide screen and all, thats not that big of an issue. Is the original japanese audio track on here, too?
    Yes, including original opening theme.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So when did cha la head cha la come in?

blue powder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Uh, with the first episode of DBZ? O_o

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    skeldare wrote: »

Well, that other chap just said that the original theme song is on the DVD, but it's not cha la head cha la, it's a guitar solo. This is why I ask.

blue powder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Fuck those guys.

What were the other problems with the box sets?

Season three is actually out now, for $34 or something on amazon.

Another issue was FUNimation claiming that the video was "high definition," which would of course be impossible on DVDs.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't believe anime buffs are that pissy about it. All we hear anyway is about how bad DBZ is and all of that ( I liked it for the most part) and then, OMG NO WIDESCREEN OR HD.

Would HD really matter that much for an anime? What're you going to see you didn't before? Old shows like that are, to me, best left as they are.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well, that other chap just said that the original theme song is on the DVD, but it's not cha la head cha la, it's a guitar solo. This is why I ask.
    That's only when you listen to English audio. It's cha la head cha la on the Japanese audio.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Did they restore all the non-op/ed music in the dub?

Because I'd hop on a movie box if they replace all the generic shitmetal with the original music.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Because I'd hop on a movie box if they replace all the generic shitmetal with the original music.
    The funny thing is, the only music changed for the dub is the opening. The ending is competely intact and so is all the rest of the music.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't believe anime buffs are that pissy about it. All we hear anyway is about how bad DBZ is and all of that ( I liked it for the most part) and then, OMG NO WIDESCREEN OR HD.

Would HD really matter that much for an anime? What're you going to see you didn't before? Old shows like that are, to me, best left as they are.
    DBZpoop4.png

No, the anime buffs are pissy about Funimation fucking the whole show up with their "remastering".

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Holy hell, that's awful.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Scott_CameronScott_Cameron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

We don't care about HD, but we do care about huge chunks of the screen going missing and artificial "remastering". Supposedly the story goes that they just ran the original film masters through an automated process that "over-cleans" a lot of shots and screws everything up.

If they had remastered it by going back to the film masters and taking out noise without losing detail, then we'd be happy.

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

The funny thing is, the only music changed for the dub is the opening. The ending is competely intact and so is all the rest of the music.

This is wha tI'm talking about, the guitar solo I'm refering to isn't the "call out to the fragon" or whatever, It's the one you hear in the movies and stuff. So why in hell would they remove cha la head cha la? I adore that intro.

Is the one you hear on these dvd's done by an american? It makes no sense.

blue powder on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just a guess here, but there could be licensing issues with the original title music. I remember reading that the reason they changed the music the first time around when it was brought over was because a lot of the music had been done by outside studios and there were issues with licensing to bring it over undisturbed. It could be a similar issue.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    oh right, that's a real shame, I love cha la head cha la.

blue powder on