As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Applying for a Job in a Different State

Dwight SchruteDwight Schrute Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
This isn't much of a help or advice thread, but I would like to know if companies are willing to "fly out" a possible candidate for a job interview? Or do companies typically do the interviews over the phone if the candidate is nowhere near the company? An example would be if I live in the East coast (U.S) and there was a job opening in the west coast, would a company even consider me? If I have to fly out there with my own money for a possibility of not even getting the job that seems unfair. Then again I'm not sure how this works. Would job experience also hinder consideration? (I'm a recent college grad and looking for entry level work in the IT field)

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Dwight Schrute on

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They'll fly you out and probably put you up in a hotel for a night.

Good luck!

zilo on
  • Options
    KingSpikeKingSpike Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would say it may depend on the company, but major companies would fly you out. If there is an office in your town they would probably have you interview there first to see if you're worth it and then fly you out for a further interview.

For example, I am going to have an interview with Dell coming up for a position. If I were to get the job it would mean I would have successfully gone through seven interviews. At least three of them will be down in Texas, assuming I get that far. I would be flown down to Texas and put up in a hotel and given money for food.

KingSpike on
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It kind of depends. They're probably not going to fly someone in from the other side of the country if they can get equally qualified candidates from their area. With that said, however, if you ARE a "unique snowflake" that they'd like to meet face-to-face, they'll fly you out and put you up on their dime.

supertall on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They will indeed fly you out (depending on the company). One of my friends recently got a job out in California even though he's based in Illinois. They did a phone interview first, flew him out to the Rosa Alta area, put him and his wife in a 5 star hotel, payed for their food and a rental car. He did 3 interviews and eventually got offered a job.

They're even going to pay to move him out there.

If you're good at what you do it's perfectly normal for this kind of thing to happen.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Usually you will do a first round interview over the phone, so that they can get to know you a little better. Then if the want you they will fly you out to do a face-to-face interview. But there will probably be a screening phone interview first to see if it's worth it to have you come out.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png