Options

Rune Factory: Harvest Moon with magic and monsters

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well I played the SNES, GB, and 64 versions, but the play it anywhere any time at a time when I wasn't used to having that option meant I was farming in the car and at the doctor and at school, and I didn't want to play other versions because that wasn't the farm I was working so hard on.

piL on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    It's really not like Animal Crossing at all.
    Then cool. Should I check out previous Harvest Moon offerings?

This one will be my first Harvest Moon too. I think I'm gonna wait and see if I like this one before I consider investigating the back catalog.

Except basing your trying of past HM games off of RF doesn't make any sense. All the other HM games are all about farming, raising animals, bettering your farmland, and interacting with townspeople (and wives).

This one has an adventure story where you battle bosses and delve into caves/dungeons while farming on the side.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've played most of the HM games, and here would be my advice for any rookies.

Harvest Moon: Very fun for its time, but very primitive. No item storage, crops only grow in two seasons, massive slowdown in the barns. Best Feature:Music

Harvest Moon (GB) : Added a few things to the series such as playing as a girl, fall crops, caves with fishing spots. What it took away was the social aspect. This game has a GBC version as well. The third one which is GBC only adds the whole social aspect but in a limited way. Best Feature:Portability

Harvest Moon 64: An excellent version of Harvest Moon and a personal favorite. Isometric 3D was a great way to go for this title. Added a lot of extra festivals, the green house, and tons and tons of hidden content after you beat the game. Best Feature:The motherfucking Greenhouse.

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature: An upgraded pseudo sequel to HM 64. Same cast for the most part, reworked some of their roles. A good deal of meat was added to this game, including a useful kitchen for the first time. In HM64 you collected recipes as a way to keep score, in this game you can actually make the item. Load times and save times are annoying. Best Feature:Cooking.

Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland: PS2 game. Story Driven, with multiple endings. No romance though. I dislike the game muchly. Best Feature:The Endings.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town: Sequel to Back to Nature. All the stuff in that game plus much more. This game is deep. Connectivity with A Wonderful Life, adding in remixed songs from the previous titles. Best Feature:Being the best HM game and portable.

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life: Another different take on Harvest Moon. A five chapter game where you live the life of a farmer, have a kid, and help steer him towards the future. More realistic crops, longer days, shorter seasons, less stuff to do, fewer partner choices. Looks very good for a HM game, which really nice sunsets and sunrises. Best Feature:The ending is absolutely heart warming.

Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town and HM:Another Wonderful Life: The above two titles, except starring as a girl. MFoMT in particular has even more added content. Best Feature: General improvements over the boy versions.

Harvest Moon:Magical Melody: The FF9 of the HM series, this game tries to bring the series back to its roots while at the same time adding new ideas. Choose to be a boy or a girl in order to revive the Harvest Goddess. Plant crops anywhere, buy more land, fend off a farming rival, and choose from an absolutely ridiculous amount of partners. Most of the women are from Save the Homeland or the original Harvest Moon. Has some pretty decent multiplayer games. Has some faults (people repeat themselves even more than usual, not enough festivals) but is otherwise a worthy version. Neat graphics too. Best Feature: Lots of different options.

Harvest Moon DS: A fary lazy "touch" sequel to FoMT. Touching is good, of course, but most of the implementation is pretty weak. I like it, but the US version has some truly game breaking bugs in a series known for its bugginess. Hell Natsume is misspelled on the HM64 title screen! Import the Euro version if you must play this. Best Feature: Harvest Witch.

Harvest Moon:Innocent Life: A future Harvest Moon. Play as a robot, learn to be more humane, blah blah. I really, really, really don't like this version, but then again, I've played it the least. Maybe it'll grow on me. Best Feature: Robots?

Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl: PSP port of BtN and BtN's girl version. I hear it has worse loadtimes than the original. It may look better than FoMT, but FoMT is a more complete game. Best Feature: First time the girls version of BtN in the US

Rune Factory: The other spinoff title, a fantasy HM game, and the topic of this thread. Gauntlet plus Harvest Moon, with an absolutely brilliant way of handling stamina. Imported it months ago, and had fun with it even though I have poor Japanese skills. Looks nice, plays nice. Online trading and pictochat like feature. Best Feature: To be determined.

On the horizon we have Rune Factory 2, HM DS 2, and the Wii version, and at least one other title I can't seem to remember. Can't wait.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    KungFu wrote: »

This one will be my first Harvest Moon too. I think I'm gonna wait and see if I like this one before I consider investigating the back catalog.

Except basing your trying of past HM games off of RF doesn't make any sense. All the other HM games are all about farming, raising animals, bettering your farmland, and interacting with townspeople (and wives).

This one has an adventure story where you battle bosses and delve into caves/dungeons while farming on the side.

Farming is extremely important in this title. You won't get anywhere without the money you make nor the rune points you need from the Rune Factories. RP can only be restored two ways, Sleeping and taking them from fully grown crops.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Farming is extremely important in this title. You won't get anywhere without the money you make nor the rune points you need from the Rune Factories. RP can only be restored two ways, Sleeping and taking them from fully grown crops.

Well, color me corrected.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I kinda figure that if I enjoy the farming stuff in RF then I'll probably enjoy it in the other games. I tried to buy FoMT once but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So was this just shipped today, or is it in stores today? Maybe when I get off work I will go grab it and swing by my friend's house and get my DS back.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    ZizZiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When I had people I wanted to get hooked on Harvest Moon but they didn't want to buy a game they might not like I had them try out the SNES version. When they liked it, I told them about various improvements and advancements the series had made so they'd go out and buy a copy. :P

By the way, it's really fun to be talking about Harvest Moon in a chat room where friends who are unfamiliar with the game can come in mid-conversation.

"I just found out my husband's useless in this game. I mean my wife was useless before, but I figured spouses would be more useful now."
    "Yeah I know. How do I get my wife pregnant by the way? Does she have to like me or something?"
    "I don't know, I'm female here and still not pregnant yet. Did you notice how your spouse never follows you to bed."
    "Yup, doesn't help things."
    "Wait guys, I'm still way behind here. How do I make my cow pregnant?"
    "You've got to buy that thing at the animal place first."
    "Can my dog die?"
    "I gave the plant guy Weeds and he didn't like it!"
    "Just to make sure, you do not have to feed the baby, yes?"

Ziz on
    218.jpg219.jpg217.jpg220.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just shipped. Might be in your local store but 90% of the country will get it tomorrow.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So was this just shipped today, or is it in stores today? Maybe when I get off work I will go grab it and swing by my friend's house and get my DS back.

Shipped today. You could probably find it at the Nintendo store today. It might not be in your local Gamestop until tomorrow or Thursday.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't played previous HM games, but this kinda sounds like the old PSX game Azure Dreams (Sky?), except you have to farm too. I'm interested.

anable on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The mere though of whipping the shit out of some goblin and then pressing him into service to manage the watering of my pumpkin patch is too much to pass up.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the best new feature of Rune Factory is that the romance options don't make me feel like a huge pedo. Finally Natsume stopped the 9 year old girls as romance options. Totally buying this though, I love me some Harvest Moon.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I think the best new feature of Rune Factory is that the romance options don't make me feel like a huge pedo. Finally Natsume stopped the 9 year old girls as romance options. Totally buying this though, I love me some Harvest Moon.

Oh indeed. They have to be at least 11 or so. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Natsume.com has moved Rune Factory from the "coming soon" section to the "current games" section. The first one to buy the game and post here wins my friend code.

Taya on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Worstest prize ever.
    I MUST HAVE IT.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Looks like it's actually coming out, then. I wonder if I should bother go to some stores tomorrow.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    Natsume.com has moved Rune Factory from the "coming soon" section to the "current games" section. The first one to buy the game and post here wins my friend code.

Oh god, I misread that at first and thought it meant that Natsume was pulling us again.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    BushmaoriBushmaori Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sharon is so mine.

Your taste in woman is questionable at best, look at her eyes. She has no SOUL.

Bushmaori on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Felicity 4 life!

Rami on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone got a list of all the glitches the JP version had? I'd like to know them just so I can try and avoid them. Even if they got fixed in the US version, I'd rather not take my chances. So far all I've really discovered were things like finding a winter stone in the fall and having it screw you up and staying overnight on the last day of winter in the winter cave. For some reason I can't find a total list, just random ones. It might be on that fogu site but it's going so slow for me I can't stand looking up information.

Also, one of you fine folks better help me level up that fish to level 80 when the time comes. I am counting on you to help me marry that totally not underage in the slightest ninja girl.

Gilder on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    Anyone got a list of all the glitches the JP version had? I'd like to know them just so I can try and avoid them. Even if they got fixed in the US version, I'd rather not take my chances. So far all I've really discovered were things like finding a winter stone in the fall and having it screw you up and staying overnight on the last day of winter in the winter cave. For some reason I can't find a total list, just random ones. It might be on that fogu site but it's going so slow for me I can't stand looking up information.

Also, one of you fine folks better help me level up that fish to level 80 when the time comes. I am counting on you to help me marry that totally not underage in the slightest ninja girl.

I haven't really looked up much on the game. I assume you need Wi-fi to be able to marry Mei, then? I'll definitely help. It's the least I could do in return for that Celebi.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bushmaori wrote: »
    Sharon is so mine.

Your taste in woman is questionable at best, look at her eyes. She has no SOUL.

Who better to lead my army of the undead while I'm busy weeding the rutabagas?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I haven't really looked up much on the game. I assume you need Wi-fi to be able to marry Mei, then? I'll definitely help. It's the least I could do in return for that Celebi.

Thanks a bunch. It's not that I need Wi-fi per say but my friends probably won't get this game and to marry her, you need to catch a specific fish on pretty much the last floor of the last dungeon. Then you need to trade it back and forth 80 times so it raises to level 80 and then you give it to her. So even though I could do it without online and just use local wireless, I'm fairly sure my only real friend that would buy this game will probably sell it off in a month. I swear, he'll buy a game and then sell it the next week. He's crazy. In any case, I'm certain he won't have the game by the time I reach the final dungeon so I have to rely on online trading with people here.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Literally 80 times?

Also, Im going for Melody.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Literally 80 times?

Yep, 80 times. I think it goes up a level each time it goes to someone else though so if I traded it to Taya, I think she would receive it at level 2 and then when she trades it back to me, it's level 3. If it works like that it's not as bad but it's still pretty annoying. Not to mention that to even catch the fish you need the strongest rod in the game. At least I think it's the strongest.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your Order Number is:

4XXXXXXXXXXXXXX8

If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail our Customer Service Department. Thank you for shopping with us!

Order Number: 4XXXXXXXXXXXXXX8 Order Date: 8/14/2007 Handling Type: USA Overnight

Unshipped Items:

Title Platform Qty. Status Price
    Rune Factory: Fantasy Harvest Moon 1 Usually ships
    in 24 hours $29.99
    Rune Factory: Fantasy Harvest Moon Official Strategy Guide 1 Usually ships
    in 24 hours $16.99
    Luminous Arc 1 Usually ships
    in 24 hours $34.99

Sub-Total: $81.97
    Handling (No additional shipping fee): $11.49
    Tax: $4.92
    TOTAL: $98.38

:?:

KiTA on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, I thought this game was released today so I made the trip to Gamestop (30 minutes) and found out it won't be in till tomorrow or the day after. *sigh*

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    shrikebtrshrikebtr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I pre-ordered this as it smacks of "EB / GS gets 2 copies and never another" or even better, the "Nobody preordered it, thus clearly nobody would ever buy it".

Thus I got an automated call tonight informing me it should be in tomorrow. Looking forward to playing it on the train to work thursday morning :P

shrikebtr on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Literally 80 times?

Yep, 80 times. I think it goes up a level each time it goes to someone else though so if I traded it to Taya, I think she would receive it at level 2 and then when she trades it back to me, it's level 3. If it works like that it's not as bad but it's still pretty annoying. Not to mention that to even catch the fish you need the strongest rod in the game. At least I think it's the strongest.

You can catch them at higher then level 1. I heard of someone getting a level 44 so it's possible you could actually just catch a level 80 (maybe).

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Literally 80 times?

You can catch them at higher then level 1. I heard of someone getting a level 44 so it's possible you could actually just catch a level 80 (maybe).

Well isn't that nice of them. Perhaps they do have a heart. I highly doubt you can just catch an 80 however because that would just be TOO nice. Knowing my luck though I'll never catch anything higher than a 10.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It seems like pretty poor game design to have the entire success/failure of a relationship hinge on catching and leveling up a fish. I hope the rest of the characters aren't "wooed" in a similar manner.

anable on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I should be snagging this on my way home today.

The real question is, who to woo...

Either Lynette (eye patch!), Melody (cute witch!), or Tori (glasses!).

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd have to say... Rosetta, Tori, Lynette, or Felicity.
    Bianca also seems interesting.

That isn't an easy choice at all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    anable wrote: »
    It seems like pretty poor game design to have the entire success/failure of a relationship hinge on catching and leveling up a fish.

How exactly is that poor?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It seems like pretty poor game design to have the entire success/failure of a relationship hinge on catching and leveling up a fish.

Poor in the sense that it's unrealistic and unimaginative, even for a video game. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably still going to pick this game up, but I was hoping for something along the lines of a "woo" meter that you can tip towards marriage in a non-linear fashion.

anable on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The store I called today said they will "probably" get the game in tomorrow. My hopes are high, but this could easily pull a Magical Melody and not show up anywhere for a week.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Poor in the sense that it's unrealistic and unimaginative, even for a video game. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably still going to pick this game up, but I was hoping for something along the lines of a "woo" meter that you can tip towards marriage in a non-linear fashion.

Unrealistic and unimaginative I call bullshittery on. As for the "woo" meter you do have love points you have to get enough of before the girl will marry you. There's also quite few other basic things they all require as well as one or two special things you need to get or do before they'll marry you.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Unrealistic and unimaginative I call bullshittery on. As for the "woo" meter you do have love points you have to get enough of before the girl will marry you. There's also quite few other basic things they all require as well as one or two special things you need to get or do before they'll marry you.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think giving a girl an awesome fish to get her to like you absolutely shouldn't be in the game. I just don't think it should be the final determining factor in whether or not she marries you. That seems a bit...silly. But I guess this is a pretty light hearted game.

anable on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Don't get me wrong, I don't think giving a girl an awesome fish to get her to like you absolutely shouldn't be in the game. I just don't think it should be the final determining factor in whether or not she marries you. That seems a bit...silly. But I guess this is a pretty light hearted game.

Really, it's just one of the final factors. You need all of it to get them to marry you and I'd be pretty surprised if there's not some story reason behind it as well. All of them have some special item or conversation choice you HAVE to make or give them to get them to love you.

Magic Pink on