Options

Rune Factory: Harvest Moon with magic and monsters

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I can sort of tell you that character events have weird triggers once you've started them. I'm in one right now because it started in the same place I ended another one and I just dont know how to progress it I have yet to see it actually pop up on my map again and it's been like an in-game week of checking at different times of day.

Story beats happen pretty much automatically and the game flat out tells you where to go when they trigger, so that is at least pretty intuitive.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Hmm...I was wary about buying it cause of the issues but If turning off that setting fixes a good chunk of them then I'll get it.

...Or just wait for the price drop that will more than likely happen soon because of these issues.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Even after turning off that setting, there's still definitely performance issues. Pretty much every time I load into the town, it's pretty brutal for a few seconds. But after those few seconds, it's fine.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I kind of want to hold out for PC just for frame rate and loading issues.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Maaan, I could put up with the poor performance and load times, but the game just crashed out of nowhere and sent me back to the start of the day. Might just play 4 again, to be honest.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I bought RF4 a few days ago and I've completed the main story as far as I know (credits rolled) about 8 days into the second season.

I'm absolutely hooked.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I suspect there might be a memory leak or something like that because it crashed on me Once, and it was after leaving the game in sleep mode for awhile. and it has not crashed on me since I started just actually turning the game off when I'm done playing for the day.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I've experienced two crashes so far, but both were pretty much immediately after an autosave. Still, I've been making an extra effort to go beat up some boss monsters after finishing my morning routine just to be safe, since that triggers an autosave without me having to go out of my way. For reference, I'm up to around Summer 10, so I've played a good bit already. Plot is feeling endgame-y, but there's definitely at least three areas I haven't been to yet.

Technical issues aside, I still really like the game itself. It's every bit as good as RF4 was. I kinda hope that it gets a PC release at some point, and that mods can fix any issues that aren't resolved just by better hardware.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I bought RF4 a few days ago and I've completed the main story as far as I know (credits rolled) about 8 days into the second season.

There’s 3 ‘chapters’ in RF4, the story’s not over until you’ve seen the credits 3 times.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

There’s 3 ‘chapters’ in RF4, the story’s not over until you’ve seen the credits 3 times.

Sweet!

• Options
    So RF5 in March broke 500K combined physical and digital sales, according to Marvelous. This figure includes only 9 days of US sales and 6 days of European sales (a year for Japan) and to compare RF4 in all it's released forms was over 800k. "Marvelous states that the game performed well and that sales for the Rune Factory 5 were strong. Due to this, Marvelous has seen an increase in sales and profit for its game-related business."

Hopefully this means we won't have to wait 10 years again for the next installment and they could put together a better performing product. Also, release it on PC please.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did they greatly improve RF5's performance in a patch? It feels like it runs a lot better now.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Did they greatly improve RF5's performance in a patch? It feels like it runs a lot better now.

I have my doubts, given how much time they had since the JP release. I'm finished with the game though so I haven't played in awhile. If it did or ever does get improved, though, I'd certainly love to know.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Give it a whirl, I might just be crazy.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I'm glad 5 is selling well! It's weird that it seems to be a graphical downgrade from the Wii rune factory, but I like the studio a lot and my nostalgia for Harvest Moon/RF definitely wants them to succeed. Hooopefully they don't get the wrong message and the next one is a bit more technically sound.

It seems like they have a habit of having one or two weird flaws in most of their releases. They release so many of them, and hey I'm good with trying to switch up the formula from time to time, but we've had so many that are close to amazing except for one or two near fatal flaws. It seems like RF4 is the current gameplay sweetspot, but man I would love to have that with graphics more similar to the Wii Rune Factory. Maybe some daaaaay.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So RF5 coming to Steam according to SteamDB : https://steamdb.info/app/1702330/

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It's officially (unlisted) on the Steam store now: http://web.archive.org/web/20220606214741/https://store.steampowered.com/app/2028700/Rune_Factory_5__Rune_Factory_Series_Outfits_Set/
    July 13 release date

edit: looks like they delisted it for now
    edit 2: swapped in a webarchived link

25qvjkhir546.png

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Looks like SquareEnix decided to get in on the fantasy farming and fighting sim action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yd3tzhN99E

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i don't trust square enix any farther then i could throw their corporate hq but i'll still buy it

• Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

Suddenly I feel more inclined to give this one a shot when it releases

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Suddenly I feel less inclined to give this one a shot when it releases.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I would estimate a zero percent chance of Square Enix including explicit gay romance in a game, so I personally come out way ahead on this one.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I would estimate a zero percent chance of Square Enix including explicit gay romance in a game, so I personally come out way ahead on this one.

They've done it multiple times in the SaGa series, all the way back to at least the PS1.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    How dare they deny me my oxytocin fix.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    We'll more likely learn more closer to release. Currently there's only a single screenshot of a "closeness" meter on the SE product page but overall the Nintendo, Steam and SE pages all conspicuously avoid mentioning any romance mechanics.

• Options
    yo rf nerds! <3

if you get a chance go check out Deadcraft. it's a VERY rf-like game set after the zombie apocalypse where you farm and fight and do quests but, because you play a half-zombie, you also get to grow your own zombies and use them as materials for various things you build.

The storyline is goofy as hell but fair warning it's also pretty insanely sexist. Even with that it's turning out to be one of my favourite games ever.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    yo rf nerds! <3

if you get a chance go check out Deadcraft. it's a VERY rf-like game set after the zombie apocalypse where you farm and fight and do quests but, because you play a half-zombie, you also get to grow your own zombies and use them as materials for various things you build.

The storyline is goofy as hell but fair warning it's also pretty insanely sexist. Even with that it's turning out to be one of my favourite games ever.

What platform is it on, you pinko commie? I need details because googling is difficult, much like your post.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

Suddenly I feel less inclined to give this one a shot when it releases.

...and I feel more inclined! Yay diversity!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    yo rf nerds! <3

What platform is it on, you pinko commie? I need details because googling is difficult, much like your post.

i'll google YOUR difficult, mister!

no i won't i'm sorry i said that it's on steam and switch again i apologize i would never google

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    yo rf nerds! <3

i'll google YOUR difficult, mister!

no i won't i'm sorry i said that it's on steam and switch again i apologize i would never google

Nuh uh.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Here's the trailer! IT'S SUPER FUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqxILr3bpLU

this focuses a LOT on just combat but honestly it's very simple fights (or complex if you want to make it that) or you can almost ignore combat completely and just use your zombies like a weird, nasty pikmin-clone.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    i don't trust square enix any farther then i could throw their corporate hq but i'll still buy it

I do not know which team, specifically, within Square Enix is making this game. But for all the stupid things they have done with their big budget studios lately, they have allowed their smaller studios the opportunity to experiment and thrive. The entire Bravely series is basically a giant experiment to find ways to tweak and modernize the traditional JRPG formula.

I guess my point is, I think Harvestella looks neat and I'm more than willing to give it a try. Having the SE name attached to it is pretty neutral for me. Honestly, my only initial complaint is that it isn't going to Playstation. Switch/PC is fine. I own both of them. So I'm not going to miss out. But I'd rather have it on PS5, because that's my platform of choice for most (not all) things.

• Options
    Here's the trailer! IT'S SUPER FUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqxILr3bpLU

this focuses a LOT on just combat but honestly it's very simple fights (or complex if you want to make it that) or you can almost ignore combat completely and just use your zombies like a weird, nasty pikmin-clone.

just as a follow up, this game tanks hard about 3/4 of the way through and really ratchets up it's repetitive slog ratio

i still finished it tho!

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Just about on autopilot now with endgame. Cleared the storyline, got married, and have a fully expanded field with 4x yield level 10 pineapples my monsters harvest for me.

Now I'm just waiting on the rest of the yearly events, popping out some kids, and waiting for building material and lumber to be sold so I can buy up enough for the higher tier upgrades. Maybe I'll poke into the maze every once in a while too but I don't feel too pressed to complete it.

edit: Sitting on 71M gold so I've just completely stopped farming. I got frustrated with checking daily so I saved at 3 for when Heinz actually does his job and kept reloading for an hour but never saw any lumber or building material so I've given up on the last tier of upgrades. Spent a season and a half just sleeping away until my first child arrived and I think I'm done with the game at this point. If I remember correctly I would have to sleep through another year for more and I'm too burnt out to deal with that.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Here is some gameplay from yesterday's Nintendo Treehouse stream of Harvestella, Square's take on the farming, fighting, and fraternizing genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yk9MIdWQLk

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/N4NGndJUuMY?t=1218

They announced two Rune Factory games. Simply announcing 6 while showing a trailer for the spin-off "Project Dragon", which is Rune Factory but taking place in the Eastern Wuxia-like region instead of the Western areas the series normally takes place.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah, baby.

Rune Factory will never die.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile