As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beautiful Katamari (360) -- It's Out

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
October 16th Update:

Game is out and initial impressions from those that have picked it up are encouraging ... encouraging enough I'm considering grabbing it. Keep the feedback coming guys, for those of us on the fence!

It's up on the marketplace now (North America only sorry Europes) Hey has anyone tried this yet?

I was very tempted to buy the OXM magazine last month but I decided my 13.99 Canadian could be spent on better things.

Figures the demo comes out and I'm stuck at work.

Bamelin on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Noooooo, I am at work. D:

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Noooooo, I have no 360 D:

LewieP on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Noooooo, I am European. D:

Echo on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Neogaf is reporting its framerate is all over the place D:

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This torrent of demos is as impressive as it is unyielding

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Neogaf is reporting its framerate is all over the place D:

Who cares, is it fun?

jothki on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Neogaf olol

I just played it, and had no problem with the framerate.

GOOD NEWS: It looks and plays just like the other two

BAD NEWS: It looks and plays just like the other two

YardGnome on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Noooooo, I am European. D:

GAHHH
    that's it, how do i make a US account? I need Eternal Sonata and this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It looks like the other two but with NO, NULL, ZERO jaggies.

Also the framerate is about 200% smoother than on the PS2. Like, SUPER smooth.

neogaf can go choke on a katamari.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    It looks like the other two but with NO, NULL, ZERO jaggies.

Also the framerate is about 200% smoother than on the PS2. Like, SUPER smooth.

neogaf can go choke on a katamari.

Yeah, where the hell did they see a bad framerate?
    When there's a lot of stuff on screen, yes, the framerate takes a very teeny tiny drop (we're talking REAL tiny here), but it never goes anywhere as low as the PS2 version was (even at its best).

Blue Dragon and Project Sylpheed were lag-plagued demos. This isn't.

Djiem on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    Neogaf olol

I'm torn. I love the fresh, innovative feeling of the other Katamaris and don't want to encourage over-franchising. On the other hand, they always leave me wanting more--mostly just more environs to explore.

It's downloaded, I'll be playing it this evening after I finish the Bioshock demo. Let's see how the combination of these two fucks with my head.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey don't shoot the messenger.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    Neogaf olol

I'm torn. I love the fresh, innovative feeling of the other Katamaris and don't want to encourage over-franchising. On the other hand, they always leave me wanting more--mostly just more environs to explore.

It's downloaded, I'll be playing it this evening after I finish the Bioshock demo. Let's see how the combination of these two fucks with my head.

You know what would complete this game? Besides a good multiplayer mode, that is. Random level generator. It could be designed to throw up stuff that is within reason (make a lot of buildings in a town level, not just a flat plaing with random stuff on it), but differs from game to game. It would make it last a hell of a lot longer.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    Neogaf olol

You know what would complete this game? Besides a good multiplayer mode, that is. Random level generator. It could be designed to throw up stuff that is within reason (make a lot of buildings in a town level, not just a flat plaing with random stuff on it), but differs from game to game. It would make it last a hell of a lot longer.

As would a level editor.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I got to play it, very nice very clean. if it's reasonably priced I may just pick it up.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll have to jump on this when I get off of work. It's been a while since I rolled a kitten into my ball of junk.

Ah... O_o

anable on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What exactly are the limitations in the demo?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, at least this is a consolation prize for the Skate demo being delayed. :( I'm jealous of all you slackers that don't have day jobs! I need to try this.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    What exactly are the limitations in the demo?
    Three minute timer.

One level.

Woo.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does it scale smoothly or does it still have loading screens when it reaches the next size level? Because that's really the one thing I want from a next gen katamari.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Does it scale smoothly or does it still have loading screens when it reaches the next size level? Because that's really the one thing I want from a next gen katamari.

Can't tell from that demo.

Djiem on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Scales smoothly, which is nice.

I had the OXM demo disk for this, I dunno if it was worth it. I probably could have waited, oh well.

Edit: Wait, what are we talking about? It's quite smooth as your Katamari increases in size, but I may be thinking of something else.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited August 2007

There is no next size level in the demo.

Do you mean the katamari grows? If so, thats smooth, but I'm pretty sure it always has beem.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

Can't tell from that demo.
    That's a shame, thought it might be a long enough level.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How's the music??

Sol on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When he talks about the size level, he means those little loading screens that hit you mid-level. A lot of times they're pretty cleverly hidden behind the King of All Cosmos saying "Hey, you should go over here to reach a new part of the level!" The game's loading a new version of the level everytime the screen sort of goes through that motion blur affect with the bell-like sounds.

It's pretty easy to tell when it happens. For example, on the levels where you start off at the size of a thumbtack, there'll be all kinds of tiny bric-a-brac to pick up. But when you're big enough to pick up, say, a dog, you might notice that all those thumbtacks and strawberries and whatever have all conveniantly disappeared.

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, since you're so big you wouldn't notice yourself running over them anyway, but it would be pretty great to be still picking up tiny cars and guys and stuff when you're at city-destroying size. It would feel more like you've actually gotten bigger, rather than the level itself getting smaller (which is my biggest complaint with, say, levels like the original Make the Moon).

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I downloaded and played it. Fun, but I can only play the same level at three minute time limits so many times. I was kind of hoping the demo would give a little more, like at least the King telling you how pathetic your Katamari is and throwing it to the heavens.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As a Katamari fan who has played the first three and now the demo of this, I have to say that the gameplay is getting pretty stale. I couldn't help but think through the entire demo that this level is exactly like any other level in the first two games is, only now I'm playing it on a different system.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As a Katamari fan who has played the first three and now the demo of this, I have to say that the gameplay is getting pretty stale. I couldn't help but think through the entire demo that this level is exactly like any other level in the first two games is, only now I'm playing it on a different system.
    Yeah, I kind of agree. I sort of liked the mission based levels in We <3 Katamari, but I kinda wish they'd change it up a bit.

Might be worth it if it's cheap and has good online play, though.

Pooch on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does the King seem a little... off, to you guys? In terms of writing? Or am I just going crazy?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pooch wrote: »
    Yeah, I kind of agree. I sort of liked the mission based levels in We <3 Katamari, but I kinda wish they'd change it up a bit.

Might be worth it if it's cheap and has good online play, though.

The only thing they need to do is have competitive levels. The lack of that is what has bugged me about the previous games so much. 2, 3, 4, 50 players rolling around a given level would be insanely awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find it rather ironic that Katamari was hailed as being something different, something fresh, ushering in a new wave of creative games in an industry where cranking out sequel after sequel after sequel is par for the course...

...and, of course, now Katamari is on its what, fourth outing?

I'll download the demo and try it, but if it's just the exact same thing as the first two, I think I'll pass and check out Nobi Nobi Boy whenever it rolls around.

rufo on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's the great thing about innovation. People make something different and then milk it for all its worth until they need to innovate again and repeat the process.

And by "great", I mean "cruel irony".

Didn't the original developer of KD pretty much vow to stop working on the series after the second installment? I'm betting he foresaw the series being sequeled to here and back and got out.

Having said all that, I still thought the demo was fun. Three minutes just isn't that epic of a demo.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    I find it rather ironic that Katamari was hailed as being something different, something fresh, ushering in a new wave of creative games in an industry where cranking out sequel after sequel after sequel is par for the course...

I'll download the demo and try it, but if it's just the exact same thing as the first two, I think I'll pass and check out Nobi Nobi Boy whenever it rolls around.
    see, i couldnt give less of a crap about 'ushering in a new wave of blah blah blah'. give me a fun game and i will play it. thats all i care about. the first two games were both incredibly fun. if this one is more of that, then this too will be incredibly fun, and it will get my money.

anyone who would not buy a fun game because it's a sequel is a bad person and they should feel bad.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    rufo wrote: »

see, i couldnt give less of a crap about 'ushering in a new wave of blah blah blah'. give me a fun game and i will play it. thats all i care about. the first two games were both incredibly fun. if this one is more of that, then this too will be incredibly fun, and it will get my money.

anyone who would not buy a fun game because it's a sequel is a bad person and they should feel bad.

Hey, if you're ready for more Katamari, more power to you. I'm certainly not horribly opposed to sequels either - I'm going to be there at midnight on September 25th picking up my Halo 3 Cat Helmetâ„¢. But this feels almost too blatant at this point - from what they've said, there's no distinguishing features between this and the PS2 Katamaris beyond HD and Live, and Keita Takahashi's already moved on from the series, so... yeah.

Demo's downloading now, and I'll definitely give it a spin, but if the only thing that's new is that it's HD and I can play with a friend... I'm feeling kind of meh towards it.

rufo on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

2, 3, 4, 50 players rolling around a given level would be nightmarishly hideous.

Combat Katamari is my idea of Hell.

I still want more Katamari tho. And Pikmin 3.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The neat thing about We <3 Katamari was how unpretentious it was. The very existance of the game was fanservice, and the game admitted it by building the plot around that concept. While the in-game humans were asking for favors or to see things done, it was really the player who was being served. Planets weren't being formed because they needed to be like in the original, they were just a byproduct of the real goal of challenging and entertaining the player, which were then flung into the sky simply because the King needed somewhere to put them.

I really don't know where a Katamari game would go from there. We <3 Katamari solidly abandoned the idea that the player's objective is to help the characters achieve some greater goal like filling the sky with stars. I don't think that there's any elegant way for the games to keep up the fanservice theme, or to pretend to return to epicness.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and the theme of the new game could be completely awesome.

How was the PSP game anyway? I've heard bad things about the controls and such, but how well was the game as a whole designed?
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Overlord?

jothki on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »

Overlord?

It came close but... no.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The original Katamari was great because it was such an original concept. But all the sequels are just more of the same, and the gameplay doesn't stay fresh very long. I'm downloading the demo but I doubt I'll buy the game unless it's very cheap.

Zek on