As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How much to charge for tutoring photoshop?

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Posted from [chat], where obviously I wasn't going to get much help:
Hey. If someone in an architecture firm posted something about needing basic Photoshop tutoring, who had previously been tutored by some dude in April for 6 sessions, and still found that those weren't enough to grasp certain fundamentals... and if I told you that I knew enough Photoshop to teach her/I had taught Photoshop at an academic camp for 3 summers, and she said she didn't need a professional's help or anything like that..

How much would you charge (if you were me)?

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    how long are the sessions? How much do you think your time is worth per hour?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Minimum is 10 dollars a half hour imo.

I used to pay 60 dollars an hour for my trumpet lessons.

SkyGheNe on
  • holycrapawalrusholycrapawalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Being educated in Photoshop myself, I can easily say that being instructed in how to do things correctly is worth at least $20/hr as SkyGheNe. I tried to teach myself before I took some courses, screwed everything up and had to forget all the bad practices I learned before starting over.

holycrapawalrus on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It depends. If you’re a professional Photoshop user, charge your regular hourly rate and then tack on some extra money because it’s not your regular job. If you’re just a student trying to bring in extra cash, try to find out what professional trainers in your area are charging and then undercut them.

supabeast on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    I charged $30 an hour for in-home tutoring or tech support. It covered my expenses and was a reasonable amount of money to expect.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If its just simple stuff like the basics for using different tools or simple image adjustments, then Id say $20 an hour. If you are showing major effects and stuff like blending and photo manipulation and other stuff that dozens of sites have pages of tutorials for, then $30-40 depending on your skill level.

KVW on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would probably charge $30 if you really know what you are doing. but really though, learnin photoshop on your own is super easy, so teaching it should be just as easy.

wakkawa on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    I'd say it also depends on who your target market is. If you plan to teach professional-wannabes, charge more than if you plan to teach poor college students. But yeah, $20-30/hr seems reasonable.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I went and told her I'd do it for $20/hr. I'm no pro at this, I mean, I taught Photoshop to 5th graders...

Oh well. Maybe I shoulda gone higher.. but whatever. Not bad I suppose, no?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo