As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sore throat / Stuffy Nose / Sickness

FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, it's the middle of summer and I'm feeling positively ill - I've got a sore throat that makes it painful to swallow, a cough, and a stuffy nose. What I'm concerned about is whats causing it, and I really can't figure out what is perpetuating these feelings-

1. I might have west nile virus. Honestly. My neighborhood is the "hotbed" for west nile virus on the east coast, and I get bitten by a lot of mosquitoes.
2. Smoking. I smoke four or five cigs a day on average, more if I'm with a bunch of friends - almost all of whom smoke. Is all of this burning tabacco death giving me a sore throat? It never has before, but this hurts so much I'm tempted to quit smoking entirely.

reposig.jpg
Fandyien on

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dude.
    If you're ill, go to a doctor. Its what they're for. The only way someone on this forum will ever try to tell you what you have, is because they're not smart enough to tell you to go to a doctor.

The fact that you're symptoms are the most common ailments on the planet wont make things easier either.

Also:
    Stop smoking. That shit will kill you - seriously.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Dude.
    If you're ill, go to a doctor. Its what they're for. The only way someone on this forum will ever try to tell you what you have, is because they're not smart enough to tell you to go to a doctor.

Not necessarily, but I won't go into that here.

To the original poster. That just sounds like a bad cold. If it's really bothering you or continuing for a long time see a doctor. Otherwise I wouldn't worry. It'll likely pass after a couple of days.

Leitner on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My question is - could cigarettes be causing this? I've been smoking for less than a year, and not heavily. I'm trying to decide if it's time to quit for health reasons or not.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fandyien wrote: »
    My question is - could cigarettes be causing this? I've been smoking for less than a year, and not heavily. I'm trying to decide if it's time to quit for health reasons or not.

Uh... whether they're causing this particular problem or not, it's ALWAYS time to quit for health reasons.

Edit: also... West Nile? The symptoms of West Nile are NOTHING like that...
    WebMD wrote:
    Mild or moderate symptoms include fever, tiredness, headache, and body aches, occasionally with skin rash and swollen lymph nodes.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well smoking obviously isn't a good idea anyway, but I'm not going to tell you not to - everyone has vices, and I'm sure you don't want to be preached to. Smoking while having a sore throat causes even more irritation. Now menthol cigs don't irritate as much, but I've never really been a big fan of them.

Gargling warm salt water, having some hot mustard (Chinese - not like the spicy brown mustard for delis) helps sore throats and clogged up sinuses too.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    If you smoke while you are sick, you will take much longer to get better and you will be much more miserable.

Edit: Other things that will make you stay sicker longer: coffee, alcohol, heavily-dairy foods/beverages.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My cold with the same symptoms has been going on for three weeks. I saw a doctor and he said to just wait. He gave me some inhaler to stop me from coughing up a lung every evening, but other than that I'm just supposed to let it run its course...

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you smoke while you are sick, you will take much longer to get better and you will be much more miserable.

Edit: Other things that will make you stay sicker longer: coffee, alcohol, heavily-dairy foods/beverages.

Wait, does the dairy part apply to everyone or just people with lactose problems to start with? Because that seems odd to me.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Nerissa wrote: »

Wait, does the dairy part apply to everyone or just people with lactose problems to start with? Because that seems odd to me.

Apparently it's controversial. I guess medical science doesn't really know whether or not dairy promotes mucous growth? *shrug* All I know is that if I have a sinus-infection and I eat anything cheesy, it gets worse.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    snowkissedsnowkissed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dairy products do promote mucus growth. Singers don't eat/drink dairy for a few days before a big performance. Also, dairy products are especially bad if you're experiencing diarrhea or vomiting. It's best to really just avoid them when you're sick.

You don't have west nile. If you're not experiencing head aches or body pain, the chances of what you're experiencing being west nile are extremely, extremely slim.

Regardless, go to a doctor. What you have could turn into strep throat or bronchitis depending on the kind of cough you have. It is also extremely important to have a doctor listen to your breath to make sure your lungs are clear and doing okay (smoking is horrible especially when sick). They also usually listen to your cough.

Seriously, don't use the internet to self-diagnose. See a doctor.

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dairy products do NOT promote mucus growth. It is an urban myth that was started by singers and performers, who are certainly known for wild beliefs. Milk and dairy products do give you a feeling like your producing more mucus, but really that is just the coating on the back of the throat, which will go away with a drink of water.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    I've smoked for many many years, and I get colds like this once a year or so. It isn't the smoking that causes it, but it sure doesn't help.

My advice: if you want to quit, right now is the perfect time to do so. Get the patch, if you think it will help, but you're already so unmotivated to smoke, since it hurts and is uncomfortable, that it will only aid in the quitting process.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    snowkissedsnowkissed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    misbehavin wrote: »
    just the coating on the back of the throat, which will go away with a drink of water.

Have you tried just making it "go away with a drink of water" when you're constantly coughing up stuff? Regardless of whether or not dairy products actually produce mucus, the coating in your throat doesn't help at all and "a drink of water" isn't going to fix your problem. It's just a good idea to stay away from dairy to avoid further aggravations.

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]