As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Upgrade my PC or 360?

SairusSairus Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
PC specs:
AMD Sempron 1,6 GHz
512MB RAM
GeForce 6200 128MB VRAM

Now should I upgrade my PC or get a 360? Is there something that 360 has which I am missing out with a PC? I don't give a damn about the graphics. Also what about RTS on 360?

Sairus on

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    RTS's will always be better on a PC.

Personally, I switched all my gaming to console a while ago - never looked back. Its just hassle free (comparatively).

Think about what games you want to play. Do you love mods, RTS's - i.e. things that the PC does better? Go for that option. Thats the only criteria games-wise.

If you're talking Bang VS Buck... 360 is the way to go too...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Online play. Do I just connect the internet cable to the 360? Do I only have to pay to my internet provider or Microsoft also? And is there a connection speed minimum?

Sairus on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PCs are great for modding/tweaking, but given the frustration I've had tweaking some games, even with a high end system(sup oblivion and stalker) I'd go for the 360. I have a pretty decent system (2 7800s sli, ~4600 athlon) and I'm getting bioshock on the 360. As Fallingman said, it's hassle free.

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sairus wrote: »
    Online play. Do I just connect the internet cable to the 360? Do I only have to pay to my internet provider or Microsoft also? And is there a connection speed minimum?

Hmm, well - you might want to pay for the "gold" subscription to live, for added functionality, but basic online gaming is free (from microsoft). I dont know what speeds are reccommended - but if you have broadband - I'd assume you'll me fine.

I connect my 360 diectly into my router - but I 'm pretty sure its always fairly simple. I'd pop to their website for a few FAQ's.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I vote 360, because it'll still be good for every 360 game that comes out. With PCs it's an endless battle. Plus, you'd need to upgrade your current system a lot.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    And the most expensive part of 360. HDTV. Goddamn! Is there a way to use your LCD monitor?

Sairus on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OP seems to suggest money isn't really as much of an issue if you can afford to get a 360 or upgrade the PC. That being said, my question would be: do you enjoy tweaking your rig and buying upgrades? Do you have enough free time to split between messing with your PC and actually gaming?

Consoles are less of a hassle these days, and have some impressive muscle. You're not going to get the massive online MP battles like you do with PC games nor will you have the mod community, but consoles offer a one-shot setup followed by several years of (usually) no-hassle gaming (a red ring of death will spoil though, though). The 360 is a very good machine, but it is a different experience from PC gaming. It all depends on what you enjoy, what type of gaming appeals to you most, and how much free time you have.

My reasons for going console about 10 years ago: spend less money on upgrades, spend less time optimizing/tweaking software and hardware settings, spend more time gaming on a comfy sofa with some cold brews. I do miss some aspects of PC gaming, but I'm really happy with switching over to consoles. I got tired of having to spend precious time fidgeting with my gaming rig on the weekends and having that cut into time for gaming.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    And the most expensive part of 360. HDTV. Goddamn! Is there a way to use your LCD monitor?

you can use an lcd monitor, just need to get the cable

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Easy - just buy the dvi cord. Jobs done.

xbox_360_vga_cable_full.jpg

You'll need speakers though.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »

Hmm, well - you might want to pay for the "gold" subscription to live, for added functionality, but basic online gaming is free (from microsoft). I dont know what speeds are reccommended - but if you have broadband - I'd assume you'll me fine.

I connect my 360 diectly into my router - but I 'm pretty sure its always fairly simple. I'd pop to their website for a few FAQ's.

I must be confused by something. You can't play Online unless you have a Gold sub. I know this because when GoW came out, Gold subs increased by like 1 million users.

anable on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    anable wrote: »

I must be confused by something. You can't play Online unless you have a Gold sub. I know this because when GoW came out, Gold subs increased by like 1 million users.

I'm a little vague on this myself, but I'm sure that a mate of mine looked into it and said that if you want to play those "live Ranked" games - you need gold... But you can play the general online games.

I might be wrong.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I think thats a false connection. Gold subscriptions went up probably because Gears of War was a system seller and MS really pushes the Gold subscription. A buddy of mine has a Silver subscription and he plays online with his R6 clan all the time.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, I'm waiting for my Xbox 360 to arrive; I eschewed my old PC in favor of a decidedly less powerful notebook because my work shifted to web development and I needed a mobile PC and at the time I was very disenchanted with PC games.

But I've started making serious efforts in game programming and I want to get into that industry now more than ever, so I need a gaming PC to do development.

There are those who love games or game so much they have to have EVERYTHING. I'm on that borderline. Thankfully I have the time to spare, and some of the money.

I'm basically echoing the previous comments about mods/upgrades. What I can add is that if you've had your current rig for a while and haven't had a problem with it, you'll probably be more satisfied in the short-term with an Xbox 360. But you never know when the next Half-Life 2 is out, and there's also Crysis, UT3 (which is what I'm looking forward to, just to start modding with.)

The downside clearly is that consoles are more future-proof than PCs, sadly. And your older PC games will most likely show very obvious glitches on newer hardware. I know GTAIII/Vice City never worked properly on my GF6600, nor on my current Pavilion.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would vote for PC all the way. Depending on how much you're spending, you could either get that computer to play games pretty well for a while or future proof it for a good, long time. Either way real time strategy and first person shooter games are far better on the PC, and turn based strategy, mods, and free stuff like shmups are only available on the PC, except for Unreal Tournament 3 which is apparently going to have mods for the 360.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Um, why does everyone mention the amount of time spent tweaking your system and the frustration of PC's? Theres none. I've been gaming with a PC for nearly a decade(Rofl, makes me sound old) and I've never had a problem, game-wise, that wasn't fixed by patching. I have tweaked many games, and I've tweaked my system a lot but that was only out of personal preference and not necessity.

Also, with PC's you can play FPS's with with a keyboard and mouse(They way they were meant to be played), you can patch games, you can tweak and mod to your hearts content and you're not paying extra just to play online. As far as I can tell, theres nothing that the 360 has that the PC doesn't, other then the three rings of death.

Tav on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tav wrote: »
    I've been gaming with a PC for nearly a decade(Rofl, makes me sound old)

Haha. I've been pc gaming for 15 you young whipper snapper!
    Tav wrote: »
    ... and I've never had a problem, game-wise, that wasn't fixed by patching. I have tweaked many games, and I've tweaked my system a lot but that was only out of personal preference and not necessity.

Also, with PC's you can play FPS's with with a keyboard and mouse(They way they were meant to be played), you can patch games, you can tweak and mod to your hearts content and you're not paying extra just to play online. As far as I can tell, theres nothing that the 360 has that the PC doesn't, other then the three rings of death.

I do both, but I've always preferred PC gaming to console gaming. Tomorrow I'm getting a new gaming rig (Woo!) and I'm eagerly anticipating playing a lot of games that consoles just won't get (Putting WoW to max graphics with AA and AF will rock, World in Conflict, Quake Wars, Starcraft II) and playing games that consoles will get, but will be better on PC (Bioshock).

Besides, the cost difference is getting smaller as consoles push the envelope. Now with the X360 and PS3, you're buying an HDTV ($700+) and surround sound system (Anywhere from $200+ for cheap, crappy system to a few K). So, like computers, it's a matter of what you want.

Of course, you can still play your console on a cheap TV with no sound extras (Whereas you have to spend the money on a gaming rig to play current games) but really, who wants to do that?

EDIT: Spore will be PC only as well and that's gonna be something special.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    robotbebop wrote: »

I think thats a false connection. Gold subscriptions went up probably because Gears of War was a system seller and MS really pushes the Gold subscription. A buddy of mine has a Silver subscription and he plays online with his R6 clan all the time.

Just clearing this up: You do need a Gold subscription to play games online. Downloading free content (demos, movie clips, getting game patches) is available to both Gold and Silver, but playing a game online requires a Gold account.

The only exception to this is when free weekends roll around - And also, some MMOs don't need Gold, but you have to pay the MMO fee.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you have the money and time, upgrade your pc.

If not, get the 360. The pc platform will always be at the cutting edge of graphics and tech, but many people can't afford to keep up. I should know, i'm one of them and decided to get a 360. Never regreted it.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What if I order the console from USA and buy games from Europe? Will the games work? Cause the prices over here... Core - 480$, Premium - 600$. You can use Live though you have to enter the adress from any country that supports Live.

Sairus on
  • Options
    Manic205Manic205 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    a) You need a gold account($50/yr) to play online. Silver is for (some) demos and marketplace content.

b) Do you know what's coming out in the next few months? Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3.

c) Yes, you can buy a VGA cord that will allow you to hook your 360 up to your monitor and speaker system.

Manic205 on
    1365887IzMnK.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In regards to RTS games - PC will always be the platform of choice there, but is Microsoft clearly recognizes the popularity of the genre and is trying to make it succeed. Halo Wars is proof enough of that. (crossing my fingers that it will be good)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know, I'm in the same position as the OP, except that my PC's a bit more modern:

Athlon64 3500+
    2GB RAM
    Radeon X800XL

At this point, any meaningful video card upgrade would cost about as much as a 360 would (that is to say, I've actually purchased a 8600 GTS, and the performance was so trivially superior that I returned it), and there's nothing else I can upgrade that would involve a new mainboard, which means new RAM and new CPU as well, and at that point, might as well throw in a case and PSU and call it a new computer.

I guess you should just look forward to what's coming out in the next year or so, and make your decision based on that. Personally, I'm leaning towards the 360; Chromehounds looks awesome, as does Army of Two and Mass Effect. And late next year (tentatively), Marvel Universe Online (that'd be the MMO based on Marvel Comics).

What's coming out on the PC that you're interested in? Personally, I can't think of much. Tabula Rasa could be cool, but without knowing much of the game itself, I can say I know a number of people who are in the closed beta and don't even play, so I'm skeptical.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A 360 costs more than an 8800GTS 320 MB, and that should run just about anything at super duper high res with settings maxed.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A 360 costs more than an 8800GTS 320 MB, and that should run just about anything at super duper high res with settings maxed.
    Exactly.

An entire modern game console costs about as much - a little less, with the recent price cut - than a freaking video card.

EDIT: Okay, about as much. The 8800 GTS on NewEgg goes for $310 to $560.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Exactly.

An entire modern game console costs about as much - a little less, with the recent price cut - than a freaking video card.

EDIT: Okay, about as much. The 8800 GTS on NewEgg goes for $310 to $560.

Yeah.. this is why I've fallen out of PC gaming more and more... I do other things on my PC that require higher specs, and as such I look for upgrading it... and it's gonna cost me at least $600 for core components, not even counting Hard drives, Video/sound cards, case, PSU, or optical drives... and this isn't even going top of the line anything or maxed out specs... As opposed to my 360, that cost me far far less, and will last me as long, or longer than a maxed out gaming PC in terms of playing games at their full settings.

To me it's a no brainer... PC gaming just isn't in line with where it needs to be in anything but the "I can show off current gen games better than you" dept.

With the ability to use a mouse and KB on consoles they would solidify the dominance of consoles as superior to gaming in every other way than absolute top end graphics... and even that is unavailable to most gamers even WITH a decent rig for any number of issues.

I've been gaming on consoles/pc's since the early 80's and have seen it change a LOT in that time...

So I'll agree that a 360 (or even a PS3... or hell, even both) would be a cheaper solution and will provide the ability to play games in their intended glory for a lot longer than any (or almost any depending on what the market does) PC can do without investing further money in another 1-2 years.

Just my two bits!

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If people count the cost of buying a PC as "everything including monitor and video card and keyboard and hard drive and case" then that's like counting an HDTV as part of the 360's price. 99% of people here are just going to be upgrading a part or two to get their PC up to spec to play all the latest games for many many months, until they have to upgrade another part (not the whole PC!). You can spend ~$500 to upgrade your PC to last you until the next upgrade cycle, or spend ~$500 on a console to last you until the next console cycle.

If a PC is costing significantly more than a console, you're either

A. Buying a whole new PC, which will definitely cost more because it's like buying a console plus an HDTV

B. Buying parts that are far faster than you need; the bleeding edge bleeds, for sure. It bleeds your wallet dry. You only need to buy the latest and greatest hardware if you buy in to the hardware manufacturers' hype.

C. Buying the wrong parts

The real crux of the matter is what a console will get you that a PC doesn't and vice versa. PCs give you mods/user created content, which is huge, and the best in every genre except fighting games, sports games (which aren't as fun without friends on the couch), and the occasional console exclusive which generally graduates to PC anyways.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PC.

Thread over.

A decent PC will do anythign and everythign a console does and a whole lotta shit your console doesn't. With the right PC set up you don't need a stereo, you don't need a TV, you don't need a DVD player, you do'nt need anything other than the PC itself.

A lot of people talk about consoles taking over gaming, but the reality is that consoles aren't taking over PC gaming, PCs are taking over consoles and we see it with every generation of consoles that are released. They now have actual video chipsets, HDDs, online capability, peripheral components like keyboards and headsets. Even the ports are taking less and less time to transfer from console to PC.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Werrick wrote: »
    PC.

Thread over.

A decent PC will do anythign and everythign a console does and a whole lotta shit your console doesn't. With the right PC set up you don't need a stereo, you don't need a TV, you don't need a DVD player, you do'nt need anything other than the PC itself.

A lot of people talk about consoles taking over gaming, but the reality is that consoles aren't taking over PC gaming, PCs are taking over consoles and we see it with every generation of consoles that are released. They now have actual video chipsets, HDDs, online capability, peripheral components like keyboards and headsets. Even the ports are taking less and less time to transfer from console to PC.

Actually Consoles are taking over PC gaming by becoming PC gaming... only in cheaper and more compact packaging with standardized specifications.

Pc's can do a lot of stuff.. a WHOLE lot, but you can buy a very decent mid end PC that will do all those other functions you named, plus play games pretty well AND a 360/ PS3 for cheaper than buying all/most parts for a high end gaming rig.

And I don't count the monitor and most incidentals with a PC price just like I don't include HDTV's with a 360.. since those are incidental peripherals that may or may not be needed (and can actually be used by both PC's and consoles).

A good high end pc can easilly reach upwards of $2k USD with no monitor/OS/Sound system... wheras a console will only cost you maybe 1-1.5k at most for the system, cables, extra controllers, memory cards, etc.

edit--
    I should say that I do agree the PC upgrade is the way to go if there' is either a MUCH larger draw to the PC gaming side for you or you have a lot more you do on the PC that would benefit from a major $$ upgrade.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Actually Consoles are taking over PC gaming by becoming PC gaming

That's kinda what I'm saying
    ... only in cheaper and more compact packaging with standardized specifications.

Maybe... if you count the dollars, but if you factor value I think the PC sitll comes out on top.
    Pc's can do a lot of stuff.. a WHOLE lot, but you can buy a very decent mid end PC that will do all those other functions you named, plus play games pretty well AND a 360/ PS3 for cheaper than buying all/most parts for a high end gaming rig.

And I don't count the monitor and most incidentals with a PC price just like I don't include HDTV's with a 360.. since those are incidental peripherals that may or may not be needed (and can actually be used by both PC's and consoles).

A good high end pc can easilly reach upwards of $2k USD with no monitor/OS/Sound system... wheras a console will only cost you maybe 1-1.5k at most for the system, cables, extra controllers, memory cards, etc.

Assumign money is no object then obviously I would choose both, but if I, like the poster, have limited resources I'll always pick the PC simply because it's every bit as capable as a console, and any additional cost involved is justified in terms of the additional ability of the machine.

For instance, my PC is pretty old now and needs an upgrade, but it's my everything. I own a TV, but it sits collecting dust, I don't even have cable, but if I did I still wouldn't need it because I can buy an 80 dollar TV in card.

The only thing I'm missing on the PC is some of the console exclusive releases, and they'll port eventually anyway.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I'd agree that if it came down to a 360 or a PC if he had neither.. PC all the way.. But he's got a pc that, with only a little bit of money can be turned into a decent middle of the road machine that can play DVD's fine, play music fine, and play a good number of games at least passingly.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I'd agree that if it came down to a 360 or a PC if he had neither.. PC all the way.. But he's got a pc that, with only a little bit of money can be turned into a decent middle of the road machine that can play DVD's fine, play music fine, and play a good number of games at least passingly.

I guess what I'm sayign, at least for me, is that "passingly" just isn't good enough. I want to play them all, and I want them to run well.

I suppose he could probably invest the money wisely and manage both... it's certainly worth looking into, but I think my advice would be to upgrade the PC substantially and wait on the console.

Is the 360 Elite released yet? I've kinda been waiting on that.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    360 elite has been out for awhile, and the newer 360 pro's come with the HDMI ports as well (but the standard size drive) and all 360's including the Elite have dropped in price.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nice... maybe it's time... maybe I won't give up that TV after all...

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Eh.. PC monitors and HDTV's are converging just like other aaspects of the PC/Home Theater market.. so better off getting one that works for both.. lol.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Eh.. PC monitors and HDTV's are converging just like other aaspects of the PC/Home Theater market.. so better off getting one that works for both.. lol.
    Which, these days, is anything with HDMI or DVI.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »

Which, these days, is anything with HDMI or DVI.

Except if it's version of HDMI or DVI is slightly off spec and doesn't work with the HDCP or doesn't mesh with your receiver (if you have one) correctly, or the pass through.. switch box.. whatever causes HDCP issues... ahh, the joys of HDCP... but that's a separate issue... T_T

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    HDMI is perfectly compatible with HDCP, component is the connection that won't alllow upscaling and the like.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    HDMI is perfectly compatible with HDCP, component is the connection that won't alllow upscaling and the like.

Until you get into the world of slightly off spec equipment and the myriad of HDCP errors you get with equipment that should by all rights work... it's a brave new world of pain in the ass.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Two words: Mass Effect.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mark Rein made what I think will be an apt prediction in regards to PC gaming.

Graphics wise we wont see it improve over the next couple of years and Crysis will be the pinacle for a while.

Why? Most games are deveoped specifically for consoles, and are ported to PC after a while. Additionally most games are dodgy ports, please see anything Ubisoft have recently released.

I haven't really played PC games in years. Mainly because it's not a comftable experience. with a console I can lie on a couch and pretty much play it upside down if I want to. PC you need to be on a chair with a flat surface near by for the mouse. It seems more like a job to me than fun.

Really it comes down to what games you will play the most and whether or not you are going to be happy with the cost/performance that the console vs PC argument comes up.

Personally I'd save up enough for a top of the line computer then spend the money on an Xbox and a mid range computer to speed up my internet surfing and media watching.

Blake T on