• Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Skeets: teh awesome

that was the only part of Booster Gold I didn't like

keep internet culture out of my comics, please

It earned a minor chuckle from me, but I tend to agree with Keith (the apocalypse is nigh) on this one.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    the wrong side

Dude, I was gonna say Booster Gold!
    I'm lying. It's Black Panther, always. Remember, folks, choose Black Panther, the comic book for discerning readers and classy people. :^: :^: :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd read Black Panther if I wasn't such a racist.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay so Justice League had, again, too many of Brad Meltzer's little "dialogue cutaways"

but fuck
    J'onn and Arthur

fucking right

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay so Justice League had, again, too many of Brad Meltzer's little "dialogue cutaways"

but fuck
    J'onn and Arthur

fucking right

Question about that:
    Do we know which Arthur this is? Or is it just supposed to be a mystery still at this point?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The dialogue cutaways were getting on my last nerve

I'm glad that was his last issue

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Srsly, Challengers Of The Unknown.

Fuck yeah.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    JoeUser wrote: »

but fuck
    J'onn and Arthur

fucking right

Question about that:
    Do we know which Arthur this is? Or is it just supposed to be a mystery still at this point?

It's the former Aquaman. He had the metal thing on his arm. How he came back from being the Dweller, I don't know.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'd read BP if Hudlin wasn't such a racist

Algertman on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Booster Gold was immensely awesome

This made me laugh too much:
    picture2vm3.png
    picture3dg8.png
    O_o Wonderwoman has a rape-face?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lol @ Black Bacer in Outsiders. Totally makes up for #2.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

I'd read BP if Hudlin wasn't such a racist

:roll:

I will not take the bait....I will not take the bait....

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    But you're his publicist!

You have to issue a statement!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's your fucking job!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fine.

Ahem.

If you don't think Reggie Hudlin is a genius comic writer, you're dumb and a racist. Also, if you accuse him of being a racist, you're a racist, because black people can't be racist. And Black Panther is clearly the best comic book being published now. The only reason it's not selling a million copies per issue is because of racists and fanboys who are still crying because Storm picked a real winner and not [insert white hero name here]. Any problems you have with the book are clearly because you can't stand the idea of a strong black man being so important and strong and in control. Or you refuse to believe the idea that a strong black man and woman can be together in a functional and loving relationship, contrary to the images of dysfunction that the white media try to pawn off as the norm in the black community.

In conclusion, if you don't like Reggie or his run on Black Panther, you clearly are racist or hate good comics.

Man, Reggie's gotta give me a raise after that statement.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'd read Black panther if there was an issue of him drinking a 40 oz of Olde English

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I also don't read his BP cause he's a shitty writer

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    House Party was an awesome movie and you're just being a dick.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'd read Black panther if there was an issue of him drinking a 40 oz of Olde English

Well, there was an issue where he had Luke Cage say, in response to Blade giving him a Glock and asking if he knew how to handle it: "Man, back in the day that used to be my piece!" That's fairly close, I think, since Luke doesn't use guns.

Algertman: no. His issues since the wedding have ranged from good to great, with most on the great side. His portrayal of Ben and Johnny have been pretty funny to me.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Not good enough.

Basically, I want it to be a Blaxploitation book.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not good enough.

Basically, I want it to be a Blaxploitation book.

lukecagethorjs5.jpg ?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Read the Cage miniseries coming up by Tartakovsky if you wanna read blaxploitation.

Although I really lost a lot of respect for Tartakovsky when listening to the Clone Wars cartoon commentary. The man cannot pronounce words correctly, and if he cannot pronounce them correctly, then he has to use them every five minutes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For those that enjoyed Booster Gold this week and are curious over the last page...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=125633
    NRAMA: Given the “Week” notation in the series, what's the "zero week" in this series? Is this still continuing from 52?

GJ: Booster Gold #0 kicks off our second storyline after #6. It's an official Zero Hour crossover, which Dan Jurgens also did, and it's designed as another real look into the history and origins of Booster Gold with a few revelations along the way. It's going to be a "very special issue."

Owenashi on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Fine.

See if you can get your soul back, instead.

Sadly, the longer I go without reading BP, the less I feel I can comment on it. Which saddens me, because I had some really strong opinions at one time. Maybe I'll buy an issue, just to get my hate on.

That being said, I think Black Panther is black in the same way Michael Jackson is black. He's a king from a country that has never been conquered or subjugated, has the GDP of most western nations, and has a very high standard of living... exactly what part of that speaks to the "black" experience?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Believe it or not, not all black people live the same lifestyle, and the stereotypical "black lifestyle" is by no means the measuring stick for one's blackness. If nothing else, T'Challa represents a strong and rich black person calling his own shots and not answerable to "the man", which in my mind is a pretty common dream amongst us black Americans (or Africans, for that matter).

wwtMask on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    uh....i like black panther right now.

it has zombies.

delphinus on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    uh....i like black panther right now.

it has zombies.

AND the black zombie is currently kicking everyone's ass.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zombie Luke Cage, especially his interactions with Zombie Iron Man, is probably the best thing about the MZ crossover. I clearly should go buy the MZ trade just to see more Tiara wearing Zombie Cage.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    For those that enjoyed Booster Gold this week and are curious over the last page...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=125633
    NRAMA: Given the “Week” notation in the series, what's the "zero week" in this series? Is this still continuing from 52?

GJ: Booster Gold #0 kicks off our second storyline after #6. It's an official Zero Hour crossover, which Dan Jurgens also did, and it's designed as another real look into the history and origins of Booster Gold with a few revelations along the way. It's going to be a "very special issue."

Awesome

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Believe it or not, not all black people live the same lifestyle, and the stereotypical "black lifestyle" is by no means the measuring stick for one's blackness. If nothing else, T'Challa represents a strong and rich black person calling his own shots and not answerable to "the man", which in my mind is a pretty common dream amongst us black Americans (or Africans, for that matter).

I think the strength of a character is found in his or her relatability... people like Spider-Man because they know what it's like to feel like the whole world is against you... the fantasy comes in when he is a total dork yet gets to nail MJ.

I don't find T'Challa relateable on any level... frankly, I think Luke Cage is a far better super hero. But then, I really just like Luke Cage.

Oh, and thanks for welcoming me back, jerk.

:lol:

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Fine.

Sadly, the longer I go without reading BP, the less I feel I can comment on it. Which saddens me, because I had some really strong opinions at one time. Maybe I'll buy an issue, just to get my hate on.

I'd agree up to this point.
    That being said, I think Black Panther is black in the same way Michael Jackson is black. He's a king from a country that has never been conquered or subjugated, has the GDP of most western nations, and has a very high standard of living... exactly what part of that speaks to the "black" experience?

Now, I'm just going to disagree with you about the 'black' comment, because I think you're speaking about "African American" experience, not "Black" experience. For example, many (I don't have statistics, so I don't know how many) blacks in the UK are not descended from slaves whatsoever, nor do they have any cultural connection to an oppressed people. Similarly, many Blacks in the USA have no such slave-ancestry (though they share, through no fault of their own, the bigotry of those people around them who are anti-black). This is the very issue that - for better or for worse - some critics have thrown against Obama.

My point with this is that there's no particular reason Black Panther should feel more connected to blacks in America, than he feels connected to...say...whites in Australia. If Black Panther - who was born into hyper-privilege, and has more status and wealth than most people in Marvel's Earth - feels more connected to blacks in America simply because of skin color, that's plain racism.

Luke Cage, on the other hand, grew up as a poor black man in a racist era, struggling for essentially everything. He's worked to keep his neighborhood safe, and is directly connected to African American culture. It makes sense for him to be interested in that culture's priorities. It's not racist.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Fine.

I'd agree up to this point.

Now, I'm just going to disagree with you about the 'black' comment, because I think you're speaking about "African American" experience, not "Black" experience. For example, many (I don't have statistics, so I don't know how many) blacks in the UK are not descended from slaves whatsoever, nor do they have any cultural connection to an oppressed people. Similarly, many Blacks in the USA have no such slave-ancestry (though they share, through no fault of their own, the bigotry of those people around them who are anti-black). This is the very issue that - for better or for worse - some critics have thrown against Obama.

My point with this is that there's no particular reason Black Panther should feel more connected to blacks in America, than he feels connected to...say...whites in Australia. If Black Panther - who was born into hyper-privilege, and has more status and wealth than most people in Marvel's Earth - feels more connected to blacks in America simply because of skin color, that's plain racism.

Luke Cage, on the other hand, grew up as a poor black man in a racist era, struggling for essentially everything. He's worked to keep his neighborhood safe, and is directly connected to African American culture. It makes sense for him to be interested in that culture's priorities. It's not racist.

Right, I agree with both you and Mask. I'm commenting more on the continual reference to Black Panther as a black super hero. I just don't think that's an accurate statement. I mean, I'm probably butchering this horribly, but I view the Black Panther the same way I would view Captain America or any other super hero... like, his ethnicity is not relatable on a level most readers would comprehend.

That being said, his nationality may be. I guess the end result for me is that between Luke Cage and T'Challa, one is a black super hero and the other is a super hero. Not that it makes either better per se... but if you are talking role models or something, I just think Luke Cage is better.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    One point that should be noted is that T'Challa definitely ought to feel some connection to black people around the world simply because, by nature of his skin color, he will be subject to racism just like they will. The fact that he's a rich and influential king doesn't preclude this, and he's smart enough to know what's up in the first place.

I don't find that T'Challa necessarily aligns his agenda with what's good for black Americans so much as what's good for his people and then what's good for people in general.

Oh, and welcome back Sentry.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    African super hero is probably more applicable if you're referring to his culture, but black works if you're referring to his ethnicity.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure we've derailed this enough, and it's all Keith's fault. THANKS A LOT KEITH.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really really want to see a scan of the Booster Gold page where there is mocking of Superboy punched time.

really really.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just go buy the comic. It's fantastic.

Furu on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    I really really want to see a scan of the Booster Gold page where there is mocking of Superboy punched time.

really really.

Here you go. Theres a couple other pages as well, but this is probably the best one.
    bg14ks5.jpg

KVW on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Booster Gold wins this week. That 'coming attractions' page is awesome.

Edit: The page in question, compliments of Newsarama.
    Booster_TEase.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ahhhhhhhhh.....

I'm going to start buying Booster Gold, aren't I? Even without knowing anything about him, I'm going to do it. I can feel it right now, the need to call my LCS and add it to my pull list. D:

wwtMask on