Options

Moments of the Week 08/15/07

13»

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    More on Booster Gold, but potential spoilers -
    I hope the Blue Beetle strikeforce means that we get Ted back. Even if he's just time hopping with Booster, and he's still dead in the main DCU, just bring the character back!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My introduction to Booster Gold was from the justice league cartoon, but yeah, looks like I might actually have something to pick up this week after all now, what with it being all WWH and Thor-less.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't NOT support Booster Gold. 52 really brought me around on the character. *buy buy buy*

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Was there a subtle implication that Rip is possibly related to Booster?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't see it.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    My introduction to Booster Gold was from the justice league cartoon, but yeah, looks like I might actually have something to pick up this week after all now, what with it being all WWH and Thor-less.

That's good, actually, since they seem to be making his new superhero career very much like that episode.

Also, we have a new Rip Hunter Chalboard to analyze:
    29.jpg
    Clearly that's Darkseid R.I.P. under his arm there.
    Don't worry about Countdown, focus elsewhere?
    Red Lanterns?

Also, by the way, someone sort of mentioned this before, but Brave and the Bold CONTINUES to be good.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Even DC thinks countdown is crap.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Doctor Thirteen fuck yeah.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Even DC thinks countdown is crap.

Hahaha

When I saw that on the chalkboard I was like, "Wow, way to disregard your most important series right now"

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think it was a joke..

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Red Lanterns huh?

yeah......

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm sure 1870 is a reference to the Jonah Hex issue.

Though a google search showed that that was the date Frankenstein fought Melmoth.

(We should probably take the analysis to the Countdown thread)

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Back around the end of Infinite Crisis, there was a scene where the new Blue Beetle's armor warned him to stay away from the Green Lanterns. Was that ever explained? Could it have anything to do with that chalkboard warning?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Booster Gold was so awesome, and after a few fakeouts, I really hope that Blue Beetle tease will actually happen, though I imagine it won't. It'd be cool if Booster's quest to bring Ted back to life would become the underlying plotline driving the whole plot, in a sort of, "Sam Beckett just wants to get back home," kind of thing, except with a dead best friend. The entire issue's basically one big moment of the week, but I loved Booster brushing Batman off so casually.

Edit: Golden Yak, the scarab was built by a cosmic people known as the Reach, and they used the scarabs to conduct a war against the Lanterns until eventually calling a cease fire. It's basically just built-in resentment.

Munch on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, Power Girl - Missing seems to line up with what Starman was saying in JSA 1 about her going on a trip.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1 ) Wormholes 1870 1939
    I dont know enough about DC's timeline, but does Jonah Hex take place in this time frame?

2 ) (New Earth, Earth-2) 1985 + 2006 = 2008???
    Thats the dates of both Crisis and upcoming Final Crisis if Im not mistaken

3 ) New Krypton?
    Not sure what this is going to be. Probably Legion related with the New Krypton created in the 853rd century. Maybe somethign with Johns run on Action and the Legion stories.

4 ) Superman & The Legion of Superheroes?
    Not sure if they are alluding to the return of Superman being Superboy in the future or Johns run where he deals with the Legion.

5 ) Thom Kallor = Traveler?
    Starman is travelling through time after blasted with Speed Force? Maybe the bad guy in Booster Gold series for some reason or at least one of the anomolies.

6 ) Power girl: missing
    New Krypton related?

7 ) The return of Ray Palmer
    Guess we'll be seeing more of the Palmer in the future.

8 ) Beware the Red Lanterns???
    I assume this is either the conclusion to Sinestro Corps where anger / rage or something manifests in red ring form. Maybe a GL "corrupts" his ring in an act to kill Sinestro or possibly some unknown faction intervenes.

9 ) Ronnie Raymond + X = Firestorm!
    10) Long live the real king
    Aquaman is the only king I know of that could fit the "real" part of this. I guess Orin is coming back. Monarch was king as well wasnt he in the Armageddon series?

11) Darkseid R.I.P.
    Maybe Jimmy Olsen kills him in his own Doomsday style battle >_>

12) Titans Hunt II
    Probably the Titan's of tomorrow arc coming up in Teen Titans or at least somethign pertaining to that book.

13) Don't worry about Countdown--focus elsewhere
    Either marketing doesnt check books or Johns wants people to read his GL stuff. Not sure if this is a joke or just stating the obvious that the real stuff happens in all the books and mini's that Countdown references.

14) ??Who is Dr. Thirteen???
    No clue.

Also, is Booster related to Rip Hunter or mabye Rip a future version of Booster? They look very similar. Just remove the beard and it looks like a slightly older version of him.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dr. Thriteen is a professional skeptic. Which is pretty silly in the DC universe, especially when his daughter starts using magic.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    13) Don't worry about Countdown--focus elsewhere

This really makes me feel like the big things aren't going to happen in Countdown. No allusions, no hidden meanings- big things are setting up to happen elsewhere.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd love to think that's just Johns' sly admission that he thinks Countdown's just a shitty series that should be avoided.

Munch on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But do they mean 'Countdown' the actual series itself? Or is there something else happening within the DC universe, some event refered to as 'Countdown,' that might be misleading in some way?

But yeah... to the Countdown thread!

@ Munch - Neat!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1870 would fall in Jonah Hex's timeline (I'm not sure if the 'Jonah fights in the far future with rayguns' stuff is still in continuity).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like what's been going on in Captain America.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    New Krypton related?

I'm pretty sure this is alluding to how Power Girl and Superman are missing on Earth-2. The teaser page in the first issue of Justice Society also alluded to the Earth-2 Superman coming back to life.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    New Krypton related?

I'm pretty sure this is alluding to how Power Girl and Superman are missing on Earth-2. The teaser page in the first issue of Justice Society also alluded to the Earth-2 Superman coming back to life.

And if you look in 52 Week 52, the panel with Earth 2 has a newspaper headline that reads "kryptonians still missing"..or something to that effect.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I'd love to think that's just Johns' sly admission that he thinks Countdown's just a shitty series that should be avoided.

Don't think Johns is that much of an asshole

Algertman on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, all this talk of DC sounds interesting. Should I track down the Infinite Crisis trades, or will 52 suffice to get me up to speed on what's going on now?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    WWH pussying out? What are you talking about?
    The whole "Brood"=main baddie, and Hulk becoming evil so that he will learn that revenge doesnt pay.

Im betting it will end with the status quo restored and all heores singing Kumbaya around a fire

JCM on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, all this talk of DC sounds interesting. Should I track down the Infinite Crisis trades, or will 52 suffice to get me up to speed on what's going on now?

52 is all you need

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Neither. My guess is he's just telling people that they won't need to read Countdown to understand what's going on in Booster Gold. Newsarama probably should've asked him about that so he could clarify.

wwtMask: I dunno. Personally, I'd recommend getting the five Countdown to Infinite Crisis trades (Villians United, Superman: Sacrifice, OMAC Project, Day of Vengeance and Rann-Thanagar War), then the two Infinite Crisis trades (Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis: Companion) and THEN the four 52 trades (don't bother with the World War III one). But I can totally understand why it'd be too much for some people.

Alternatively, you could try jumping in at 52 and then go back and read all the Infinite Crisis stuff if you like it.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yes, I caught that also.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Neither. My guess is he's just telling people that they won't need to read Countdown to understand what's going on in Booster Gold. Newsarama probably should've asked him about that so he could clarify.

wwtMask: I dunno. Personally, I'd recommend getting the five Countdown to Infinite Crisis trades (Villians United, Superman: Sacrifice, OMAC Project, Day of Vengeance and Rann-Thanagar War), then the two Infinite Crisis trades (Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis: Companion) and THEN the four 52 trades (don't bother with the World War III one). But I can totally understand why it'd be too much for some people.

Alternatively, you could try jumping in at 52 and then go back and read all the Infinite Crisis stuff if you like it.

I don't think Villains United, Day of Vengeance & Rann-Thanagar War are really necessary. They're helpful, and in the case of VU, really entertaining, but they aren't crucial to understanding Infinite Crisis. I mean, you could read through all of IC and not really follow whatever the hell is going on in outer space.

Lux on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

Yes, I caught that also.

I bet that kid he saved on the bridge will turn out to be someone important.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Lux wrote: »

I don't think Villains United, Day of Vengeance & Rann-Thanagar War are really necessary. They're helpful, and in the case of VU, really entertaining, but they aren't crucial to understanding Infinite Crisis. I mean, you could read through all of IC and not really follow whatever the hell is going on in outer space.

I dunno, I think they (plus Teen Titans: Life and Death) are pretty necessary to understand everything that's going on in Infinite Crisis. But I guess you could still understand the main plot points if you only read OMAC Project and Sacrifice. You just wouldn't have a clue what's going on at some points.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It just occured to me now, but thanks to Booster Gold #1...
    ...we get to speculate who Supernova is again! Yay!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

It's the relative he pulled through... the same guy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

It's the relative he pulled through... the same guy.
    It's pretty obvious
    that he knocked out Daniel and took the suit.

Daniel's not smart enough to be a part of a conspiracy stretching across space and time again.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif