As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warren Ellisish Thread

• Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited November 2005
    In case anyone missed it - Ellis' Demo came out yesterday. I have yet to pick it up, as I was in Boston, but...yeah. Image is putting it out, and the only mention I've seen of it has been on his site, so there you go.

The Cow on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2005
    I just got FELL 1 and 3, and read through them, and didn't even notice that 3 wasn't number 2.

What a great format.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    404404 Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    I just got FELL 1 and 3, and read through them, and didn't even notice that 3 wasn't number 2.

What a great format.
    Damn you, my shop was all sold out of Fell 3. I did, however, get Down.

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    What is this "down"? What is this "Demo"?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DudditsDuddits Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    Every time I read Fell I get a massive erection. The combination of the art and the writing and the story is just fucking great.
    And the Nun. I fucking love the Nun.

Duddits on
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    Duddits wrote:
    Every time I read Fell I get a massive erection. The combination of the art and the writing and the story is just fucking great.
    And the Nun. I fucking love the Nun.
    What, the one in the gunshop?

"I don't even know you, and I hate you already."?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    I just finished watching the Global Frequency pilot. I liked it, but it did have some problems. It would have been very difficult from a production aspect of having different actors for every episode.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2005
    I miss having the money to buy Desolation Jones and Fell.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    I miss having the money to buy Desolation Jones and Fell.

$6?

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Rise from your grave, shiteyes.

So Ellis' upcoming Marvel book "NextWave" has it's own Theme song.

And it's alright.

"..Like Titanic, but the boat's still floating... No it's not! the Mother%$% boat's EXPLODING!"

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2006
    Is it my understanding that the same man who wrote transmet also wrote the first two story arcs for The Authority?

Wow, I owe him so much. I have read so much of his while sitting in a bookstore. Wow.

graizur on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2006
    Er, why don't you buy the books then. You'll be paying him back by y'know, paying him for the work he did.

Knob on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Knob wrote:
    Er, why don't you buy the books then. You'll be paying him back by y'know, paying him for the work he did.

Because parting with money is one of the more painful practices in my life. Couldn't I just send him a paper plate with some dry macaroni art. Or tell every one I know with disposable income if they want to increase their intellegence by 200% they should buy and read his books? Wouldn't that be enough.

Although people with disposable income usually are disgusted by po' people like me...

graizur on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    graizur wrote:
    Knob wrote:

Because parting with money is one of the more painful practices in my life. Couldn't I just send him a paper plate with some dry macaroni art. Or tell every one I know with disposable income if they want to increase their intellegence by 200% they should buy and read his books? Wouldn't that be enough.

Although people with disposable income usually are disgusted by po' people like me...

You should be paying the guy.
    Or at least checking them out at the library, so they're encouraged to buy more of his work.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2006
    May I respectfully disagree, in that The Authority just further led to the Dark! Grim! We're Hardasses!-ness which is sweeping pretty much everything that is Pop Culture.

Although, there are some swell Quitely issues in there, so I guess I'll let it slide.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    May I respectfully disagree, in that The Authority just further led to the Dark! Grim! We're Hardasses!-ness which is sweeping pretty much everything that is Pop Culture.

Although, there are some swell Quitely issues in there, so I guess I'll let it slide.
    No, that's Image Comics, you see.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    hughtron wrote:

Uh, travel backwards about ten years and blame it on Wolverine, The Punisher, and Spawn.

Knob on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2006
    Knob wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Uh, travel backwards about ten years and blame it on Wolverine, The Punisher, and Spawn.

I'm not saying they started it, just that they helped a lot. They're not so bad, though, I guess. Not for me is all.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Knob wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Travel back twenty years and blame it on Frank Miller for DKR and Alan Moore for Watchmen.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    It was the quiet moments in Ellis' run on The Authority that I loved so much. Not so much the violence but the pre-violence dialog.

The closest I can say I came to enjoying straight Authority violence was when Jack and The Midnighter were like "hello, we're here to hit you"

But it was Ellis who made my two favotire characters a gay superman and batman. Quietly and Miller didn't capture the awesome quiet moments, though not for lack of trying. Actually the Q/M run on Authority kind of ruined it for me. I mean it was cool, and action packed but not the same quality unfortunately. Not nearly close. Miller is showing is just starting to show his limitations in The Ultimates and it's starting to get me sad :-(

graizur on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Travel back twenty years and blame it on Frank Miller for DKR and Alan Moore for Watchmen.

Travel back forty years and blame it on EC Comics

Knob on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Knob wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Travel back forty years and blame it on EC Comics

While EC certainly pioneered the darker horror comics of the fifties, it wasn't until DKR and Watchmen were written that the "anti-hero" began to take off. It's pretty evident if you look at what kind of books were being published 2 years before, and two years after this era.

All of a sudden the Punisher has 5 books.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Achilles Last StandAchilles Last Stand Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I have a random Transmetropolitan-based question about the ending.

[spoiler:1731757a4f]Is Yelena pregnant at the end of Book 10, last issue?[/spoiler:1731757a4f]

Achilles Last Stand on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I have a random Transmetropolitan-based question about the ending.

[spoiler:7239799135]Is Yelena pregnant at the end of Book 10, last issue?[/spoiler:7239799135]

[spoiler:7239799135]Yes. With Nazi Cyborg Lizards[/spoiler:7239799135]

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I just started reading Fell #2.

It's nice to know (or at least think) that

[spoiler:e92952672f]Mayko isn't actually insane.

Although I still would kinda wonder about her, seeing as how she must've already had that branding iron ready-made.[/spoiler:e92952672f]

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RockyRaccoonRockyRaccoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    i haven't been reading ellis' email list, what is going on with that project thats supposed to a "Heart of Darkness" but with undercover cops?

RockyRaccoon on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    So... that animated Castlevania project. Was it ever confirmed?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    So... that animated Castlevania project. Was it ever confirmed?
    I think he denied it.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited January 2006

I had nothing to do with the linking of my name with CASTLEVANIA, have never played the game and have never clapped eyes on James Jean, whom I believe is a popular illustrator with the young people of today. I have no further comment to make at this time.

Obviously, I am to be trusted in all things.

– W

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    i haven't been reading ellis' email list, what is going on with that project thats supposed to a "Heart of Darkness" but with undercover cops?
    What, Down? That's already 2 issues in.

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    404 wrote:

3 in.

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Buchwald wrote:
    404 wrote:

3 in.
    3? Crap. First I miss Fell 3, and now this. Well, at least we have Nextwave at the end of the month

It's like Shakespere, with a lot more punching...

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Bumpity bumpity

So I just bought this short trade called "Stranger Kisses". I know absolutely nothing about it, but it's by Ellis and it was only five bucks, so I figured what the hell.

Anybody read it?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    nextwave rules my face

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Servo wrote:
    nextwave rules my face
    Yes, yes it does.

"I FIRE YOU WITH BULLETS NOW"
    "Bad doggie go sizzle pop."

404 on
    Getter404.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    heh, Dirk Anger.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    "blowing things up and stealing all your stuff" is the best mutant power ever

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Oh my god.

It's wearing underpants.

404 on
    Getter404.png