As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy VII PC

Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently tried to install this for some classic RPG action. However since I'm running XP now and the game couldn't actually be installed.

If I remember right the error was that XP couldn't run programs on less bits. (Something like that, I'll quote the error if it would help anyone.) I believe I need to find/buy a Windows '98 emulator... So does anyone know if this will work, or if there are any other fixes for the issue?

Unearthly Stew on

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited August 2007
    I know there's a patch, albeit a buggy one. I think.

I haven't played it on an XP machine, but I know my roommate has; I'll link him to this thread when he gets home if things haven't been solved.

Whippy on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This might sound stupid, but if you have a PSOne (Or Two, or 3) you might be able to pick up a copy for about $10.

Keep your eyes peeled.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This might sound stupid, but if you have a PSOne (Or Two, or 3) you might be able to pick up a copy for about $10.

Keep your eyes peeled.
    And certainly won't be very buggy. My neighbors gave me theirs, I have four now. 8-)

Though if you stick around I'm sure somebody will come by knowing a good patch.
    Like that guy who was practically rebuilding or building their own engine or some jazz.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A quick Google search led me to this patch, but I don't know how well it works or if it even works.

Tav on
  • whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've reinstalled FFVII on PC at least 3 times, and each time I have to go through this process. It only takes a couple minutes of Google searching before I inevitably arrive at this site, which has everything you should need to get FFVII up and running.

There are actually several patches that you'll probably want to install to fix some common problems with running FFVII on a modern computer. Apply the above patches liberally (they're all legit; I've been using them for years) to fix the following common problems:

- Game won't run on XP

- Game crashes when you try to race Chocobos for the first time (to get out of prison)

- Newer video cards are not supported

- Snowboarding, motorcycle, etc. minigames go way too fast with newer processors

- FMVs play upside down or not at all

- FMVs crash partway through (specifically some of the later ones with Weapons, and Sephiroth being awakened inside the northern crater) - I don't believe there's a patch for this. There is a simple workaround, however: Just extract the FMV files to your hard drive and point the game to that directory. When you come to an FMV that hangs or crashes, replace its FMV file with a copy of one that works and that'll be played instead of the broken one. Not really immersive, but at least you'll be able to finish your game. And if you really want to see the FMV, you can play it in the media player of your choice. You'll hit a spot where it hangs the media player, too, but you can just skip past it to see the rest of the movie.

There are other issues that can crop up but really, anything you run into should have a solution on that page.

One last thing: Don't forget to run your .exe in compatibility mode for Win 95 or 98! People hate on compatibility mode but it's always worked for me.

whuppins on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I second for Compatability mode + Patches. It worked for me on my last system (p4 2.8 Windows XP Home).

Personally, I'm hoping Squeanix ports 7 it to the DS.

Ruckus on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    its been a while since I played FF VII on PC, but I remember the music being really bad...sounding like a MIDI. I could be wrong, but I would go with playing on a console just to be sure

brandotheninjamaster on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thats becasue on PC it is MIDI. Which sounds crap for most pcs, but I always thought that maybe if you had some awesome midi samples on your PC for music making or something you could point it there and it would sound amazing.

Jeedan on
    edited August 2007
    'well then its not FF 7 w/o the music; or excuse me MIDI versions of the music! damn! I won't be playing that for PC anytime soon.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The PC version always seemed like an after thought, compared to the PSOne version.

Ruckus on
    edited August 2007
    funny memory. my bro bought the ff 7 sound track. When he played the PC version he would set the song on his radio accordingly.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    www.qhimm.com

Everything you need.

Don't like MIDIs? Swap them out for the OST tracks. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5387.0

High Res? Want to replace the basic field models with the high quality battle models? Piece of cake.
    http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6005.0

Literally this site has EVERYTHING you need to make this game as good as (or then better) than the PS1 version.

The best way to play FF7 is either this (with a control pad), or by ripping the PS1 disks to HDD and playing them on a PS1 emulator with all the enhancements activated.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Apparently a lot of folks didn't know this, but the PC version comes with a set of MIDI voices that are basically identical to the wavetable from the PSX version. Just install the Yamaha synth when you're installing the game and set that as your MIDI output. As long as your sound card can do wavetable synthesis (I can't imagine any card from the past 10 years that can't), you'll get music that's pretty much identical to the PSX version.

I pity the fool who played the game in FM synthesis or their card's crappy default wavetable and thought that was as good as it gets...

whuppins on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok cool that has it running and more than I was expecting. Thanks everyone.

Feel free to lock.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited August 2007
    www.qhimm.com

Everything you need.

Don't like MIDIs? Swap them out for the OST tracks. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5387.0

High Res? Want to replace the basic field models with the high quality battle models? Piece of cake.
    http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6005.0

Literally this site has EVERYTHING you need to make this game as good as (or then better) than the PS1 version.

The best way to play FF7 is either this (with a control pad), or by ripping the PS1 disks to HDD and playing them on a PS1 emulator with all the enhancements activated.

Awesome! I had no idea! I think I might just have to play through on PC now!

brandotheninjamaster on