As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Medbay - Firefly Phalla thread for those dead or not actually playing

PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Critical Failures
This thread is only for those out of the action. Active players, do not scroll down under punishment of two-by-fours launched into your chest.

I'm serious. I'm looking at you Balefuego.

Plutonium on

• PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok, Here I'll try and answer questions about mechanics and roles and stuff.

Jdarksun, do you think that maybe, instead of physical Jenga, Gabe and Tycho will be pulling a switcharoo with some sort of beta version of http://www.strategyinformer.com/wii/jenga/

Plutonium on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hay guyz so how bout that revolution? mudletuw4.gif

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wish I coulda played. Damn my stupid noob ass.
    And how could jdarkson not have even watched the show? It hurts me. Deep inside.

I meaant cj Iwakura. Sorry avbout besmirching your good name, jdarksun.

PsychoCucumber on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I missed the signups. :cry:

But it's for the best. I would've taken on Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star and would've ranted and raved. :lol:

I would've kept calling River "Melfina". :winky:

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    River looks a bit boyish to me.

precisionk on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought it was cj iwakura who hadn't watched Firefly, hideous, misshapen beast that he is?

Also, Jesus H. to DA when he dies, how many bloody times is he going to be evil?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited August 2007
    Wow living people, what the hell kind of shenanigans are you guys pulling? O_o

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    Makes for exciting lurking

PsychoCucumber on
    edited August 2007
    I'd say!

These are some mighty fine hijinks being ensued up there

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    I'd have to agree. Both sides went with a last minute vote switch. It was fantastic.

PsychoCucumber on
    edited August 2007
    avmalwk1.jpg

Ahahahahahaha

Oh lord why did I have to die so soon'

Oh lordy lord lord

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    Yes, Squashua's photoshop skills are breathtaking. Just breathtaking.

PsychoCucumber on
    edited August 2007
    I hope he dies so we can give him a hearty slap on the back

Like real men does, and all

hahahahahaha oh my god

Hakkekage on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well I'm back

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    Hullo, newly Dead :D

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    That was... interesting

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If there were a frowning 8-) emoticon I would post it.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Who wants to know what happened behind the scenes the last two nights?

Plutonium on
    edited August 2007
    Oh prease Missa Prutonium, prease

Terr us

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    I'll do some role reveals tomorrow.

Plutonium on
    edited August 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    it's OK, my grudges don't last long

Oh really?

Also Jdark, how did you like that psycho Role Pm of yours?

For those not in the know:
    You are...

River Tam!

Serenity_2005.jpg

River Tam Tam River River Tam. You were born-raised-grewup on Osiris with Simon Simon Trust Simon Helpme Simon.

You don’t know what experimentstraining they conductedinstilled on you when you were attrappedin The Academy, but you knew that Simon would helphe always helps always helpsSimon.

Simon gave up everything for YouMeRiver and he should be happy he could be happy without River god Simon I’m sorry STOP THINKINGthinking about me.

Thank you Simon thank you I’m sorry so sorry please forgive me THEY’RE COMING.

Two by two
    Hands of blue
    Two by two
    Hands of blue

YouRiverJdarksun can trust SimonHylianbunny you can trust HylianbunnySimon trust. Simon don’t leave me Simon don’t leave me if you try to leave they make you leave I’ll stop them I’ll kill them don’t leave Simon no.

Plutonium on
    edited August 2007
    My grudges are naught but tepid fairy piddle

They usually peter out before the next Phalla's sign up even starts

Case in point: TehSpectre, Zerinan.

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    I don't even have any grudges yet. Except maybe against Sabs, for requesting my extra violent death.

PsychoCucumber on
    edited August 2007
    Squashua and Ardor seem to think that vh grudge killed him last night.

He was actually shot by Mal - we were onto him for trying to bullshit his way into the network.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    1) VH *did* target me. Wasn't a grudge thing though; it was a reaction to me (as a "good guy") "outing" him in the thread as a bad guy, and him not paying enough attention to be a better judge of character.

2) If you had Mal shooting at me, why'd you change your votes? That was a really dumb move.

3) Dammit.

Honestly, I had no recourse but to either tell you I was Shepherd with a seer ability or someone (Jayne or Mal) with an alternate-night vigilante ability and "whoops.gif" on the Hakkekage killing.

I think the Jayne/Vigilante thing would have been easier for you to swallow.

Squashua on
    edited August 2007
    Well as you noticed not everyone changed thier votes.

There was a miscommunication as to what we were doing cause we were arguing about it right down to the wire.

Mal would have switched his target to Ardor if he had gotten the vote switching info on time.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I never told you guys my power to make you feel guilty, right?

I was your goddamn seer. How do you them, now incapacitated, apples? :P

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    A few thing's I'll throw out there:

Yes, Kaylee was the seer. Sorry about night one there Hakkekage. Squashua was a meanie and Karate-chopped you.

Night one not going as Balefuego planned it was entirely... *Drumroll* Drez's fault. He fell asleep and didn't send in an action - He was Inara and his ability was to defend against Saffron's nullify. It was a series of "I'll nullify your nullify of Balefuego's nullify," except Drez screwed up. I was considering replacing him if he didn't show up by a certain time yesterday. Strangely enough though, no bad guys decided to take a shot at you.

Plutonium on
    edited August 2007
    I didnt even find out Drez was Inarra until 5 minutes before the vote closed.. we were going to kill him before that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    I'm also running and tweaking a lot of this on the fly - in order to preserve some semblance of balance. For example, my draft of the rules had originally called for Simon or River to get two kills after the other had been incapacitated, and then become incapacitated, because it was a "partners" mechanic that I had planned for a seperate phalla that I wedged into here instead.

I had realized that it was too powerful once you guys were networked up though, so I made it kill one person, and grant a bonus to the other.

Simon's targets were a Blue Sun Agent (visiblehowl) and another player. If visiblehowl would have won the coin flip, I would have given him an extra kill, though he wanted to kill Squashua, so it wouldn't have mattered. Niska won instead.

Plutonium on
    edited August 2007
    It's perfectly River-y, darling.

Honestly though, wouldn't River, in terms of canon, be a better seer? She's got that intuition shit going on, and stuff. And the mind-reading.

Although I did try to seer throgot Day 1, so maybe I have some intuition too :D

And yeah, I couldn't figure out the purpose of the vote switch, myself. Them people...:roll:

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    We figured Ardor was protected from the vote, if FWD and CJ had switched thier votes too, then we could have conceivably voted off Squashua, saved me, and killed Ardor.

That was my plan anyway :p

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    Pluto-

I know the living aren't supposed to read this thread, but I think you're giving away way too much "secret" role information in the dead thread.

Squashua on
    edited August 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Pluto-

I know the living aren't supposed to read this thread, but I think you're giving away way too much "secret" role information in the dead thread.

Does there have to be a reaver attack now? I swear, somebody might end up with a 2x4 in their chest.

Plutonium on
    edited August 2007
    I'm just cruising around the Firefly wiki page...is Serenity: Those Left Behind any good?

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure what that refers to.

There is a 4-issue (?) comic book series that was collected in Trade Paperback format.

It (kind of) bridges the "gap" between the TV series and the "Serenity" movie.

It does not do a great job, but it at least wraps up the "Hands of Blue" storyline, albeit not as much as I would have liked.

Meaning that we don't get any additional background on them. Which sucks.

Squashua on
    edited August 2007
    Anything but four more seasons of Firefly sucks.

Plutonium on
    edited August 2007
    The "Hands of Blue" story is actually the most intriguing for me and that fact that it never has a chance to resolve is really disappointing.

It's for this reason that "Ariel" is one of my favorite episodes despite not being overly funny or up on character development (well, Jayne a little, I guess)

Hakkekage on
    edited August 2007
    Just checked. It's a 3-issue series, and "Those Left Behind" was the name of it.

From the wiki:

Bridging the gap between the end of the television series and the beginning of the movie is a three-issue comic book series entitled Serenity: Those Left Behind. The comic is written by Joss Whedon and Brett Matthews, illustrated by Will Conrad and Laura Martin, and published by Dark Horse Comics. The story focuses on the crew of Serenity taking a salvage job from Badger following a botched theft on a backwater planet, and the pursuit of River by the ominous blue-gloved men seen in the television series. The story is considered part of the Firefly/Serenity canon. Each issue of the series features three different covers, with each cover featuring one of the nine main characters, each by a different illustrator, including Joe Quesada, Bryan Hitch, Tim Bradstreet and John Cassaday. The first issue was published in July 2005, and the final one appeared in September. The comics quickly sold out on release, with both the #1 and #2 issues going into second printings. Many comic book retailers reported that it was their highest selling comic those months, in part because of the multiple covers, but also because it attracted a group of customers who are not traditionally comic book buyers. The comics were later reissued as a trade paperback compilation.

It has been recently confirmed that Joss Whedon will reteam with Brett Matthews to write Serenity: Better Days for Dark Horse comics to be released in the fall of 2007 as we see what happens when a heist goes right and the crew finds themselves in a rare place: on easy street. "This new story will take place in the 'Firefly' years i.e., everyone's alive," teases Whedon. "Basically, they pull off a heist and everything doesn't go completely wrong. This, needless to say, has never happened, and it's about how they deal with success."

Shit. I actually just read the above and it says zilch about the story.
    Basically, in my "expert comic reviewer who got quoted by Marvel Comics in a press release" opinion, it does the Hands of Blue a complete disservice.

Squashua on
    edited August 2007
    There's a Serenity RPG by one of the people who created Dragonlance that may or may not fill in the blanks; essentially it contains much background information not explored in the series that is considered canon.

I do not own, nor have I read, a copy.

Squashua on