As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

coins

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I can't find my other coin thread: but

I've sorted though all my Nickels, quarters and dimes.
I kept everything that had a unique 'tail' on it (drummer boy bi coins, Canadian money - just cause they looks cool and some other 'special' coins).

No silver, but did find some dollar coins.

I haven't looked though the pennies yet (cause there is pounds of them).

What I was wondering:

All these new fangled State quarters - keep them or change them in?
There is a 2-3 hundred dollars worth. If I cash these out (and put it in a 5.0% 30 year savings bond) would that be better then just saving them? In 30 years, what would be worth more - the money (and interest) from cashing them out and putting it in a bond OR the value of having a bunch of 30 year old "collector" coins and eBaying them?

Also in all these "normal" nickels, dimes and quarters - is there anything else I should look for before banking them in?

For the pennies, I'm going to sort though them and pull out any wheat pennies - but besides that is there anything else I should be looking for?

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In thirty years? The savings account unless the US economy collapses (for various definitions of collapse, including inflation staying above 5% for an extended period) in the meanwhile. In a hundred years, you're probably breaking even. In three hundred years, the coins for sure.

Of course, someone could pull the Maundy money trick and make the same coins worth their face value again in a hundred years or so, in which case you might even get more by spending them normally then. Though it's utterly unlikely...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    savings account.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Highly unlikely anything you have is worth more than face value.
    State coins are worth face value.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!