As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestions on selling a comic book collection?

MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a relatively modest personal comic book collection (gathered over the mid-late 80s and through the majority of the 90s) that I haven't read in years (many since purchase), and every time I've moved, I've had to lug these heavy, awkward boxes with me, which is frustrating. I don't really have a sentimental attachment to the books any longer, and would like to get rid of them. The problem is, I'm not altogether sure what the best way of doing this is. I'm not looking for a huge profit, but rather the best way to get rid of them without having to spend an excess of time and effort doing it, while possibly making a few bucks in the process.

Craigslist seems a bit limited, but it might be a pretty frustration free option. I had also thought about listing them individually on eBay, but that seems as though it would take forever, and would involve a nightmare of packing and shipping. There is a local company here that would do it all for me (listing, shipping, etc.) but they take a considerable fee off the top (it's really just for people who don't know how to use eBay), but I have to admit that I'm tempted.

Are there any other avenues that I haven't considered, that might be worthwhile? I don't have any illusions that my collection is worth big bucks, but regardless of the amount I'd make, they'd be doing a heck of a lot more for me than they are now.

tl;dr - I need some suggestions as to minimize effort and maximize profit when unloading my comic books.

Murphy on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pick one:

a) Max profit - Don't sell now. Keep and give to your kids or something.

b) Mini effort - let that company do it.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    PirateJon wrote: »
    Pick one:

a) Max profit - Don't sell now. Keep and give to your kids or something.

b) Mini effort - let that company do it.
    I sincerely doubt I'll be having any kids, so option two does seem to make the most sense.

Murphy on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Craigslist can't hurt if you're in a sizable city and aren't in a hurry to get rid of it all. If you're really lucky, though, you might be able to find a comic shop in your area that buys books as well, but don't expect to make as much from them.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    Craigslist can't hurt if you're in a sizable city and aren't in a hurry to get rid of it all. If you're really lucky, though, you might be able to find a comic shop in your area that buys books as well, but don't expect to make as much from them.
    Yeah, a comic book store would be looking to pay as little as humanly possible in order to maximize their profit. It's why I didn't think it was a real option, unfortunately.

Murphy on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I imagine you could sell those on a forum. A forum like this one? Whats your collection mostly? Marvel or DC?

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Making threads to peddle your wares is against the rules here so far as I know, unless you just leave a link in your sig.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I figured, I could've sworn I've seen people in G&T talking of selling things, but probably not whole threads on it. Regardless if you have a lot of DC backlog, hell if you have any Uncle Scrooge back issues. PM me.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah G+T is typically where I see the signature method of selling stuff, but it only works if you post in large volumes.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I had no intention of trying to hock them here on the forums. Besides, that would be a logistical nightmare.

Murphy on
  • Options
    bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I ditched a couple thousand comics on ebay about a year ago, mostly because I didn't have much experience with craigslist at the time and wanted at least some kind of money for the books. So what I did was break them up into lots, post those and then pack them up. Wasn't too bad, but I've been doing ebay for nearly 10 years as a seller so I'm kind of used to the effort.

I think I managed to get about $500 back out of it, but considering I probably spent $5000 it was quite a loss.

When I shipped them, I'd stack 'em up, wrap them in newspaper (like you were wrapping a christmas gift) and then use packing tape to make sure they'd stay in that brick like stack. I'd pack that inside another box with enough packing to protect it and then ship that. I only received positive feedback from the buyers using that method as well.

Good luck man!

bigpanda on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    I had also thought about listing them individually on eBay, but that seems as though it would take forever, and would involve a nightmare of packing and shipping.

In a situation like this, and unless you don't have the time to do it yourself at all, eBay is the best way to go.

Except don't sell individual comics unless you know you have one that will sell for a lot on its own. Instead, sell runs of books together - entire series usually do the best, or however issues of any particular series you have. Or split them up by runs of a particular writer/artist. People won't usually buy single issues over eBay unless it's a landmark issue or they're looking for that issue in particular to fill a gap in a collection - and if the latter is the case, most people hit back-issue bins at comic shops or conventions.

But people WILL buy a run of comics for cheap if it has an issue or two to fill a gap in a collection, remove that issue, and sell the rest themselves on eBay.

multimoog on