As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Will the laptop work overseas? (240V) - also power converters

tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, my GF has a dell laptop and is planning on using it in a country where they use 240V electricity (we live in the USA.) The power brick for the laptop says the following things:

INPUT: 100-240V ~1.5A 70W CONT.

Elsewhere it says: 50-60Hz

The model is ADP-70EB

Looks like it will work, but I just wanted a second/third/fourth opinion.
Thanks!

---EDIT---
Also, anyone know of a B&M store where she might be able to get a power converter to convert 240V to 120V? Does this have a name other than "power converter?"

steam_sig.png
tsmvengy on

• TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Being currently on vacation in China (where they use 240v) and from the States, I can tell you with certainty that it will work. My MacBook powerbrick, Motorola phone charger, Braun electric razor, and HP Digital Camera dock all of which say 110v-240v work fine.

In terms of buying a voltage converter, try RadioShack or if you have one nearby Fry's. They tends to have more utilitarian electronics beyond the "consumer" variety you'd find at Best Buy and the likes.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    It will work. Just get an adaptor for the plug.

KMFurDM on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TechBoy wrote: »
    Being currently on vacation in China (where they use 240v) and from the States, I can tell you with certainty that it will work. My MacBook powerbrick, Motorola phone charger, Braun electric razor, and HP Digital Camera dock all of which say 110v-240v work fine.

In terms of buying a voltage converter, try RadioShack or if you have one nearby Fry's. They tends to have more utilitarian electronics beyond the "consumer" variety you'd find at Best Buy and the likes.

Also note that (unsurprisingly) this will almost definitely be more expensive in a B&M store than you would find looking around one. Possibly significantly more expensive (if you get it from someplace like Radio Shack).

mcdermott on