As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel November Solicits Preview

13»

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Psst, Muffin: Baxter Stockman is black in the new TMNT cartoon.

And Hudlin on TMNT would probably too awesome for words.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I'm trying to make a racist TMNT joke here but I'm falling short.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

The Baxter I grew up with was a pasty white guy.

Who turned into a fly.
    GOD MASK.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Baxter was black in the original comics.

And I hate you.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    April was black too, memory serves. Was April in that new TMNT cartoon?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    April was black too, memory serves. Was April in that new TMNT cartoon?

April was maybe hispanic. At least thats how it looked from her hair.

Mirage_April.jpg

Bloods End on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nah, it was just the 80's.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Baxter was black in the original comics.

And I hate you.

Surely you know that Hudlin turns any comic into gold.

Also, I love you too. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    are the full solicits up somewhere?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    wwtMask on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tell me Mask, do you basically sit and F5 that page all day? :P
    Also, holy shit Mafioso Skrulls?

Also also: what exactly is going to be 'record-breaking' about Ms Marvel #25?

Ooo, is Claremont bringing part of the Marvel UK 'Jaspers Warp' storyline to the main MU?

Lastly: Penance versus Wolverine. Well, it had to happen sometime I guess.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Tell me Mask, do you basically sit and F5 that page all day? :P
    Also, holy shit Mafioso Skrulls?

Also also: what exactly is going to be 'record-breaking' about Ms Marvel #25?

Lastly: Penance versus Wolverine. Well, it had to happen sometime I guess.

Um...the Newsarama site auto refreshes. If it didn't, I would refresh it every ten minutes or so in anticipation of the Marvel solicitations.

I think the "record breaking" refers to the fact that the original Ms. Marvel series didn't last that long.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Um...the Newsarama site auto refreshes. If it didn't, I would refresh it every ten minutes or so in anticipation of the Marvel solicitations.
    I can't say I knew that, actually. It was just a little joke seeing as you seem to be the one to post about the full solicitations all the time. A service for which I am grateful, by the way.
    I think the "record breaking" refers to the fact that the original Ms. Marvel series didn't last that long.
    Ah, I see. Thanks!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh, God. Cho's heroes are actually calling themselves the Renegades.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN: VENOM PREMIERE HC
    Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    Penciled by MARK BAGLEY
    Cover by MARK BAGLEY
    Spider-Man’s ultimate villain gets the Ultimate treatment! After reuniting with his childhood friend Eddie Brock, Peter Parker discovers a secret about their fathers' pasts…a black liquid that can transform into a protoplasmic bodysuit, curing any illness and enhancing the wearer’s strength and abilities. But when Peter tries to continue his father’s work, he accidentally becomes encased in the murky liquid and becomes nearly unstoppable…but at a terrible price. Collecting ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #33-39.
    168 PGS./Rated A …$19.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-2873-1
    Trim size: standard

Why does this book exist? They started out with the Premieres pretty good with the excellent update to Kraven's Last Hunt, but this book makes absolutely no sense. If Im not mistaken they did the Ultimate Clone Saga in Premiere format as well. The oversized, high print run, excellent quality and matching sets of Ultimate Spider-man HCs werent good enough? There are dozens of awesome out of print or non-existant hardcovers they could have did in a Premiere format, yet they choose something like this that already has oversized awesome treatment?

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I can't imagine any economic reason for giving people multiple choices of format and price for a very a popular book.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't imagine any economic reason for giving people multiple choices of format and price for a very a popular book.

I dont know if that is supposed to be as insulting as it sounds, but a hardcover is a hardcover. Its the same price point for each. One is like $19.99 and the other, which has been out for a while, is like $24.99 and thats before you get into any eBay or Amazon pricings which are much cheaper. Then they have floppies and TPB formats for each and the fact it is only a year or two old. Then you take into account the supposed purpose of the Premiere line of HCs and it doesnt make much sense for it to be using Ultimate Spider-man for Premiere HCs.

KVW on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "Not only is Spider-Man's greatest foe using Peter Parker's house as a base of operations for his latest criminal enterprise and putting the moves on his favorite aunt, but now he's also hogging the bathroom all the time!"

dclee on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    KVW wrote: »

I dont know if that is supposed to be as insulting as it sounds, but a hardcover is a hardcover. Its the same price point for each. One is like $19.99 and the other, which has been out for a while, is like $24.99 and thats before you get into any eBay or Amazon pricings which are much cheaper. Then they have floppies and TPB formats for each and the fact it is only a year or two old. Then you take into account the supposed purpose of the Premiere line of HCs and it doesnt make much sense for it to be using Ultimate Spider-man for Premiere HCs.

The point is that Marvel is going to put out product as long as they think there will be enough people buying it. The fact that they're revisiting Ultimate Spidey for premiere hardcover treatment means they think it's still got some legs under it and that it might be more attractive in that style and in that price range. I don't see how having more choices for how you can get Ultimate Spidey is a bad thing, as you seem to be making it out to be.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    marvels-november-2007-preview-20070819000354815.jpg
    [lame joke about sitting on my face goes here]

Kreutz on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2007
    frank.jpg

this is my favorite cover

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That gave me such a Calvin and Hobbes vibe the first time I saw it. I have to say, Marvel's all-ages books kick some crazy amounts of ass.

Munch on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Their All-Ages titles seem to be better because they're not trying so hard to be serious and deep all the time, so they can have fun.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN PREMIERE HC
    Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
    Penciled by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
    Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.” With those words, millions of readers were introduced to Stephen King’s Roland — an implacable gunslinger in search of the enigmatic Dark Tower, powering his way through a dangerous land filled with ancient technology and deadly magic. Now, in a comic book personally overseen by King himself, Roland’s past is revealed! Sumptuously drawn by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove, adapted by long-time Stephen King expert, Robin Furth (author of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower: A Concordance), and scripted by New York Times Bestseller Peter David, this series delves in depth into Roland’s origins — the perfect introduction to this incredibly realized world; while long-time fans will thrill to adventures merely hinted at in the novels. Be there for the very beginning of a modern classic of fantasy literature! Collecting DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #1-7.
    232 PGS./Parental Advisory …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-2144-2
    Trim size: standard
    © 2007 Stephen King. All rights reserved. All characters featured in this issue and the distinctive names and likenesses thereof, and all related indicia are trademarks of Stephen King.
    Oh yes. I missed out on it early, so I decided to wait for some sort of trade. This is so going to get bought.

Slagmire on