As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The act of Scooting, like scatting but with 49cc's

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
To cut to the chase, I am looking at getting one of these in the next few days:

2008 Yamaha Zuma
nv54246_3_400.jpg
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/151/0/home.aspx

Total cost after all fees/tax/lic/inspection: $2675.63 (msrp: $2099)
Min payment $39 to be paid off in 24 months.

I do not own a car, nor can I afford one. Hence the appeal of a scooter. To me it will be the perfect work/school vehicle. This will be the first thing aside from a car that I will own when it comes to motorized transportation. So I was looking for thoughts on the Zuma as well as other Scooters to look at.

Anything I should look into before going through with this?

(Also, I have no idea if this should be in G&T or here. I thought about it for a few minutes, and here we are)

projectmayhem on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

(Also, I have no idea if this should be in G&T or here. I thought about it for a few minutes, and here we are)

H/A would be better for you

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Be aware that they are more dangerous than motorcycles. Cars can't see you as well, you aren't as loud, and you lack the power to get out of trouble if you need to.

Doc on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only thing that I know about these things is that most states don't qualify them as motorized vehicles, so you can't be charged with OWI/DUI while driving one.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    The only thing that I know about these things is that most states don't qualify them as motorized vehicles, so you can't be charged with OWI/DUI while driving one.

Until very recently, you could get charged with a DUI for riding a bicycle while drunk in WA. Go figure.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Be aware that they are more dangerous than motorcycles. Cars can't see you as well, you aren't as loud, and you lack the power to get out of trouble if you need to.

That was one thing I was worried about, thankfully the places I will be taking it are all within 2 miles or less of my house.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

That was one thing I was worried about, thankfully the places I will be taking it are all within 2 miles or less of my house.

Yeah, just ride with the expectation that all other cars are going to do their best to kill you and you'll be fine.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, anyone know of a website I can look over for the License test?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, anyone know of a website I can look over for the License test?

The DMV sites usually have some good stuff. I know for the New York DMV site, it has a whole section of the site for teaching about what's going to be on the test for motorcycles. They have one for cars, too.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/mcmanual/mcmanual.htm

Do you have to get a motorcycle license for scooters, though? I don't really know, although some of this stuff should help, anyway.

Lemming on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My baby.

Just got it two weeks ago, and it got vandalized (kicked over) by some asshat a week ago. I had a lot of trouble getting new parts, but now it's up and running again. Got it from this site for $1000 even, free shipping.

Here is a very active board on all kinds of scooters.

Of course, to the contrary of Doc's post, this board has a good argument that scooters are safer than motorcycles.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Of course, to the contrary of Doc's post, this board has a good argument that scooters are safer than motorcycles.

Well, it's safer in that you can't do as many asshat things on a scooter.

Doc on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Take an MSF class when you get a chance, the skillset is the same whether you're on a motorcycle or a scooter.

Also I know scooteristas tend to shun gear, but consider wearing at least a full-face helmet. Your face is soft and squishy, the pavement (or someone's bumper) isn't.

Fats on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fats wrote: »
    Also I know scooteristas tend to shun gear, but consider wearing at least a full-face helmet. Your face is soft and squishy, the pavement (or someone's bumper) isn't.

Yeah, going 50 mph on a scooter when you splat is the same as 50 mph on a bike. I wear one of these. So cheap and yet so effective.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Statistically speaking, that's where most accidents occur. A full-face helmet is a really, really good idea, and dropping some cash on a decent textile motorcycle jacket & gloves wouldn't hurt either. Just remember that your destination being "right around the corner" is never, ever an excuse to forsake the gear that could save you from spreading yourself over 30 yards of pavement.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Indeed, safety gear is important. On another note, around here, I don't believe you need a motorcycle license for a scooter, just a driver's license. However, another interesting note, it's illegal to have a passenger on one of those here.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    embrik wrote: »
    Indeed, safety gear is important. On another note, around here, I don't believe you need a motorcycle license for a scooter, just a driver's license. However, another interesting note, it's illegal to have a passenger on one of those here.

Both of those depend entirely on the state.

Doc on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    embrik wrote: »

Both of those depend entirely on the state.

Indeed, check this site for laws by state.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You can't find a decent car for 2 grand? :?:

But the whole DUI thing is awesome. Now most people tell you to make sure you have safety equipment but also make sure you've got a little rain coat for emergency situations.

At school I ride a bike to work and its a damn lift saver when I get out of work 9 hours later and find its pouring.

Mmmm... Cocks... on