As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dewy's Adventure - The Wettening...

GuekGuek Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
61ew8mxfIJL._AA280_.jpg

Well, the only other thread for this game is about 6 months old and as good as dead. I decided to resurrect it with a brand new post filled with a bunch of deliciously cute and cuddly screens of this fantastic looking game. I, like most people, was pretty hesitant to give this game the time of day but after watching a few videos and perusing through a couple pages of screens, I have to admit I've become quite charmed by the konami's latest wii endeavor. The art design is fantastic and the game elements look to be really quite fun. This game comes out September 4th (though a recent rumors say it may be delayed until the 24th) and was made by the same team that did Elebits. I urge you all to at least give it a rental. Third party support must be applauded! Especially when it looks this good.

post shamelessly stolen from Bruin's old thread:
February 1, 2007 - Konami on Thursday revealed to IGN Wii its original new Wii title, Dewy's Adventure. Don't let the name fool you, though, because the game is built by the same team responsible for the critically-acclaimed action effort, Elebits -- a title that IGN selected as best Wii action project of last year.

In Dewy's Adventure, gamers take control of a recently incarnated water droplet, Dewy, whose Elder Tree master has fallen ill at the hands of the evil Don Hedron. It's up to Dewy to find a way to save the Elder Tree and restore order to the once-flourishing forests.

Players use the Wii remote to navigate the character through an assortment of environments and harness his special abilities. In terms of control, gamers tilt the Wii remote to angle and rotate the landscapes in order to position Dewy in the correct spots for puzzle-solving. Dewy can also modify the temperature of his immediate surroundings, changing ice to mist, for example. Using his elemental powers, Dewy can freeze or heat different parts of the worlds in order to trigger a variety of puzzles and advance. In addition, players can induce earthquakes, lightning bolts or even damaging gusts of wind, among other things, by shaking and waving the Wii remote respectively during certain situations.

The title features six massive stages, each with its own unique visual style. On top the single-player experience, Dewy's Adventure boasts an Elebits-like edit mode that enables players to build complete stages with fully customizable puzzles, different landscape types and enemies. According to Konami, the stages can be played alone or cooperatively with a friend.

"Dewy's Adventure emphasizes Konami's commitment to creating innovative software for the Wii with one of a kind gameplay, unique motion sensitive controls, and a colorful game world packed with memorable characters," said Wilson Cheng, product manager with Konami. "Building upon the success of Elebits, Dewy's Adventure is poised to deliver another exciting and accessible gaming experience that is only possible through the immersive Wii hardware."

We've posted first screenshots and videos in our media sections. But Dewy hopefuls will really want to check out our exclusive interview with the development team for a deeper look at the adventure to come.

dewys-adventure-20070710000516325.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070710000517340.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070710000519293.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070710000521793.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070710000522512.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070711001306572.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070711001307431.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070711001309103.jpg

dewys-adventure-20070711001309994.jpg

e3-2007-dewys-adventure-screens-20070711024119614.jpg

e3-2007-dewys-adventure-screens-20070711024120380.jpg

e3-2007-dewys-adventure-screens-20070711024124302.jpg

e3-2007-dewys-adventure-screens-20070711024125036.jpg

e3-2007-dewys-adventure-screens-20070711024125755.jpg

e3-2007-dewys-adventure-screens-20070711024127630.jpg

E3 2007 game intro (beware ye travelers, thar be horrendous voice acting ahead)

E3 2007 trailer

japanese trailer

developer walk through 1

developer walk through 2

vase boss battle

climate changing gameplay

this is a pretty good video highlighting the game's strengths. the narrator is a bit annoying at times but its still a good vid that shows off some cool stuff.

anyhow, i'm really interested in this game. i might need to see some reviews first but it looks to be pretty good so far.

Guek on

• Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love the artwork, especially the first 2 pics. Too bad the in game graphics don't even try to emulate them.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, that artwork is nice and all but every time I see it I think those guys are on some heavy fucking drugs. The only things that are even remotely normal are the boy and the girl.

Also, Spectral Swallow is right in that the in-game graphics don't even come close to the artwork, yet I think the graphics are still nice and this looks interesting. If only I had a Wii. :)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really do want to own this game. Hard.

I loved Elebits. It was my 2nd Wii game that I beat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's pretty, but it looks just a mite shallow from those videos.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    It's pretty, but it looks just a mite shallow from those videos.

i don't see how. the platforming elements seem solid to me. the only potential problem i think is the controls turning out to be impractical and hard to use.

Guek on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's made by the Elebits folks, right?

Because there's a purchase right there.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love the artwork, especially the first 2 pics. Too bad the in game graphics don't even try to emulate them.
    I guess it's the same artist because I thought the same thing about elebits, too.

Pooch on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You couldn't make a game that looked that good, even if you tried.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That is an incredibly stupid response. Clearly he isn't a game developer with numerous, well educated companions working in unison to craft a complex videogame. He's remarking upon a pretty obvious disparity between art and graphics, fuckass.

Also, I really like the way this game looks. I haven't played a fun platformer in years - if more stuff like this comes out, I'll be probably be convinced to buy a Wii.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fandyien wrote: »

That is an incredibly stupid response. Clearly he isn't a game developer with numerous, well educated companions working in unison to craft a complex videogame. He's remarking upon a pretty obvious disparity between art and graphics, fuckass.

Also, I really like the way this game looks. I haven't played a fun platformer in years - if more stuff like this comes out, I'll be probably be convinced to buy a Wii.

You misunderstood me. When I said you, I meant anyone. No one could make a game that looked that good unless it was just a pile of screenshots ala Myst. It was more a credit to the artist than an insult.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You misunderstood me. When I said you, I meant anyone. No one could make a game that looked that good unless it was just a pile of screenshots ala Myst. It was more a credit to the artist than an insult.

Okay, that makes more sense. Sorry about my vitriolic response.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Okay, that makes more sense. Sorry about my vitriolic response.

No worries, what I said also can be read as that. I should have used the phrase No one instead of a universal You. English is a funny language.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    while the concept art is far prettier than the resulting game, i still think the visuals look fantastic and incredibly fresh. my only gripe art wise is the horrendous box art. it just makes the game look so...cheesy

Guek on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This poor game bombed in Japan. I hope it does better in the USA. Or at least, I hope that the team that made it is still allowed to do Wii games. :|

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Eteric wrote: »
    This poor game bombed in Japan. I hope it does better in the USA. Or at least, I hope that the team that made it is still allowed to do Wii games. :|

I think Elebits did poorly in Japan but well enough in the USA and Europe.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Didn't Elebits sell like 32k in Japan? Dewy only sold 1k. >_<

It was more like a megabomb. :(

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Elebits had the advantage of being a launch title.

Couscous on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well the elebits team has done it again. Made a game with fantastic concept artwork that I love while the game itself looks pretty "eh". I never really "got" Elebits, and was always confused by how people seemed so hyped for it, guess this will be the same thing.

A shame they don't make a game where the beautiful artwork doesn't have a flow on effect into the actual game itself. Oh well... guess it's just not for me.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Elebits had the advantage of being a launch title.

True, but it did eventually sell like 200k + world wide, so I think it made it's money back.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, this game looks so gorgeous. I am eagerly anticipating it.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

really? oh man...now maybe i'll buy this game out of sheer guilt (provided it warrants a purchase).

yeah, i'm kind of weird like that. Scratch that, I'm not weird, just dumb...I'll randomly buy my friends stuff because they're having a shitty day. And I work off a college student's income too.

Guek on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game looks pretty good, I wonder why it bombed so hard in Japan? Famitsu gave it pretty good reviews.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Guek wrote: »

really? oh man...now maybe i'll buy this game out of sheer guilt (provided it warrants a purchase).

yeah, i'm kind of weird like that. Scratch that, I'm not weird, just dumb...I'll randomly buy my friends stuff because they're having a shitty day. And I work off a college student's income too.

Will you be my friend?

:lol:

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's made by the Elebits folks, right?

Hopefully it doesn't have the same problems. Seriously, Elebits was fun for about 3 stages, then they start telling you to do it quietly, or without breaking anything... I stopped playing. The best part of the game was just whipping shit around and seeing what you could break.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's pretty sad, considering that this looks a lot more fun than Elebits.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, who is picking up the game today?

Evander on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm all for cute games but this one looks like it could get pretty damn aggravating. I'm running out of swears as it is.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh shit, it comes out today?!? FUCK, this and MySims, and I had to get the car fixed. Shit balls of hatred!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    My only question is whether I go before class, or after.

Evander on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Before, then you can read the manual if things get boring.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Before, then you can read the manual if things get boring.

I have a laptop in class.

Things are never boring.

Evander on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ah it's out now? Awesome, I'll be picking it up on the way home.

I loved Elebits, I still throw it in every once in a while to try to complete the challenge and time trial type missions, though it's unfortunate that I don't know enough people with the game to start sending levels out.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

I loved Elebits, I still throw it in every once in a while to try to complete the challenge and time trial type missions, though it's unfortunate that I don't know enough people with the game to start sending levels out.

I have the game, but I suck at making levels. If you make one, shoot me a PM and I'll get on Elebits to receive.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I have the game, but I suck at making levels. If you make one, shoot me a PM and I'll get on Elebits to receive.

Me too!

I'll PM you my Wii code later, if you're up for sending me your levels.

Hell, I'll even try myhand at creating some.

Honestly, though, as far as Dewy's Adventure, I think the thing that excites me most is not the game itself, but just the opportunity to find out that Elebits is not a fluke, and that there is a 3rd party Dev team out there who understands how to make a good Wii game.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    *is doing the math*

$49.99... I have $400 in the bank account, 9 days till payday... Rent due on that day, so subtract $450...

I... Think I can do it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Me too!

I'll PM you my Wii code later, if you're up for sending me your levels.

Hell, I'll even try myhand at creating some.

Honestly, though, as far as Dewy's Adventure, I think the thing that excites me most is not the game itself, but just the opportunity to find out that Elebits is not a fluke, and that there is a 3rd party Dev team out there who understands how to make a good Wii game.

Well, for sure I'm down with trading some levels, but in truth I don't really have any to send. I messed around with it for a bit, but my Wii friends at the time didn't have the game, so I just gave up on it.

More Wii friends is always good, and I'll probably tool around a bit with the game in the next few days anyway, since this thread reminded me that it was fun.

And yeah, putting aside the fact that Dewey's adventure looks to be a good game, it's just really nice to see a third-party developer put some time into a Wii game. I'm getting a little sick of the whole 'third-party games don't sell on Nintendo systems, so let's just make a crappy cash-in game. See? It sold like shit, I told you!' cycle that's going on. It's nice to see a developer trying to create fresh new games that revolve around the Wii's unique control scheme, as opposed to just adding some waggle to a PS2 port.

I think a few developers need to get more creative. I don't think the Wii was supposed to be 'a new way to play old games', but rather 'and entirely new way to play games, altogether'. They need to stop looking at what they can do to shove motion into existing games, and realize that entirely different creative avenues are opened up. Such as a platformer where you tilt the world. Then again, I can see how that would be a bit off-putting for a developer that's been making games for decades with regular controllers, but they need to get over it, as 2/3 of this-gen systems are utilizing some kind of motion control.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, I had no idea it was out already. We've barely seen anything on the game.

I should really pick it up, I've been meaning to get something after SPM, but wasn't sure what.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Just went to my Best Buy and they didn't have any in stock. They had 10 incoming on their next shipment, either tomorrow or friday. Sigh...

urahonky on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The fact that I've heard absolutely zero news about this game -- previews, impressions, reviews, sightings, anything -- gives me pause. I love the art style and am in the mood for a good platformer, but I'm going to have to play the waiting game for this one.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i have high hopes. i think i'll buy it sometime in January though. I need to get ALL my gaming done that month seeing as how I'll be leaving the country come February

Guek on