As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vanishing Hard Drive Space

TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So I was downloading a few things on my new laptop, like steam and such. All together, everything I was downloading was probably under 50mb. I was also running a windows update of unknown size.
After this, I was surprised to see my HDD displaying 3 fewer free gigs. Now, again, I hadn't downloaded anything near that size (believe me, I double and triple checked).
Were the windows updates that big (Vista)?
Also, to check something else, where the fuck does Vista put temporary internet files?

Update: Disc cleanup is displaying something 2 gigs in size called "Hibernation File Cleaner". What the fuck is this?

TubularLuggage on

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm only bumping because I just need a quick answer, and then this thread can drift into the abyss.

Also, I got rid of "Hibernation File Cleaner" or whatever, and it made no difference.

TubularLuggage on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Download this: http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php

It's Space Monger and once you click the link it will all make sense. Gives you a visual representation of the files (and their size) on your hard drive.

Should allow you to see where the space is going.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Have you been having any problems lately? I had a system restore file that took up about 3 gigs, but this is XP.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    meatflower wrote: »
    Download this: http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php

It's Space Monger and once you click the link it will all make sense. Gives you a visual representation of the files (and their size) on your hard drive.

Should allow you to see where the space is going.

Seconded. Space Monger is awesome. I dunno if this link is to the old, free version, but there is one.

captaink on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    windirstat actually does everything spacemonger does, has fewer bugs, gives more detailed information, and is simply nicer to use.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think, hibernation file is save state for your computer so when it wakes from sleep it knows where to start.

you're probably losing space from system restore points. hint being all the new things you've been installing and downloading.

make sure your system is stable, and use disk cleanup to get rid of old system restore points.
    (note: this might get rid of your complete back up of windows. I believe vista keeps a layer of redundancy for emergencies. or not.. I don't really understand how all this works. still learning the ins and outs of vista.)

on that note, I checked my comp.. I have 6 gigs of temp file :D

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • carbon13carbon13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pah I freed up about 8 gigs of space on my Macbook just getting rid of the language packs. Thats lots of gigs.

carbon13 on
    First rule of Teacher Club: You don't touch the kids.
    Second rule of Teacher Club: You DO NOT touch the kids.