As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Connecting Wii to a University Network

kj01kj01 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently moved into a dormroom for the first time, and while I was easily able to connect my 360 to the internet (due to it being wired), the usually handy wireless capabilities of the Wii has failed me. Due to the university's use of a log-in screen, I am able to find an access point but not use it. Is there any way I can still connect to the network? The use of a proxy network gives me the option of entering a username and password, but I do not know where to find the address of the proxy network.

kj01 on

Posts

  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    kj01 wrote: »
    I recently moved into a dormroom for the first time, and while I was easily able to connect my 360 to the internet (due to it being wired), the usually handy wireless capabilities of the Wii has failed me. Due to the university's use of a log-in screen, I am able to find an access point but not use it. Is there any way I can still connect to the network? The use of a proxy network gives me the option of entering a username and password, but I do not know where to find the address of the proxy network.

    Just get a wireless router and connect it to your wired internet. This is easy as cake if you have a roommate or two- only 15-20 bucks each, and it makes life much more convenient at school.



    edit: I had the same problem. That's why I'm recommending a router rather than a workaround... I spent hours trying to figure it out. :<

    Organichu on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alternately, you could try sharing your internet connection over your computer's wireless (if it already has wireless). Hook computer up to wired, share connection, good to go. There are some setting to worry about, which you can find with some googling. Otherwise go wireless router hooked to wired internet.

    Though you may want to check, as this is against the Acceptable Use Policy at my university. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just means you have to make sure you set it up properly and that you probably shouldn't do it. Then again, the above (sharing connection) is also against my school's AUP...basically our AUP just sucks.

    Lastly, there is a wired adapter for the Wii made by Nintendo. Runs like $25. Hook to wired, good to go.

    mcdermott on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Lastly, there is a wired adapter for the Wii made by Nintendo. Runs like $25. Hook to wired, good to go.

    I'm sure the Wii receives far more support than the DS, but damn, I have horrific views towards Nintendo dongles. The DS wireless thing gave me crap loads of trouble.

    Like I said though, I assume the Wii is better equipped, and this would certainly be cheaper.

    Organichu on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Lastly, there is a wired adapter for the Wii made by Nintendo. Runs like $25. Hook to wired, good to go.

    I'm sure the Wii receives far more support than the DS, but damn, I have horrific views towards Nintendo dongles. The DS wireless thing gave me crap loads of trouble.

    Like I said though, I assume the Wii is better equipped, and this would certainly be cheaper.

    Well, rather than some crazy internet-connection-sharing wireless dongle (which, of course, requires a computer and drivers and all kinds of complications), all this is is an actual USB ethernet adapter for the Wii. I can't see how it could suck that bad.

    mcdermott on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Lastly, there is a wired adapter for the Wii made by Nintendo. Runs like $25. Hook to wired, good to go.

    I'm sure the Wii receives far more support than the DS, but damn, I have horrific views towards Nintendo dongles. The DS wireless thing gave me crap loads of trouble.

    Like I said though, I assume the Wii is better equipped, and this would certainly be cheaper.

    Well, rather than some crazy internet-connection-sharing wireless dongle (which, of course, requires a computer and drivers and all kinds of complications), all this is is an actual USB ethernet adapter for the Wii. I can't see how it could suck that bad.

    Oh, I misinterpreted what you were saying- nvm. That does sound foolproof, yeah.

    Organichu on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Organichu wrote: »
    Oh, I misinterpreted what you were saying- nvm. That does sound foolproof, yeah.

    As a disclaimer: I've not actually used it. Just know it was made, saw it for sale at Wal-Mart. But again, it's made by Nintendo specifically for the Wii, so I can't imagine it not working properly considering what it is (simple USB ethernet adapter).

    If the OP has had no problem getting a 360 working this way, this seems like the easiest (and cheapest) way to go.

    Though if it's not forbidden on your network, an actual wireless router would run only $15 more or so ($40) and offer a lot more functionality.

    mcdermott on
  • kj01kj01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I could then hook the 360 into another port on the router, right (acting as a Ethernet hub, then)?

    kj01 on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Wii's LAN adapter is probably your best bet.

    Zek on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you're a total cheapass and have a laptop/wireless-card-equipped-computer then you could force your PC to act as an access point, then use your wii to connect to that.

    It requires a little bit of knowledge, but there are assloads of tutorials.

    Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    The Wii's LAN adapter is probably your best bet.


    The router thing works too, but..well, that costs more.

    And if you're at Berkeley (just a guess since our move-in was yesterday), there's two EB Games near the campus.

    Arminas on
Sign In or Register to comment.