As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Port Forwarding Hell

Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've had no problem all year using bittorrent, with the appropriate ports forwarded on my router and the torrent program OK'd in the windows firewall.
I am now trying to set up the router to allow me to host War3 games, something I have done in the past on different routers.
I am using a Linksys WRT54G v 6.0 with up-to-date firmware.
1) Static IP. Check.
2) Ports 6112-6112 [Both protocols] forwarded via "Applications and Gaming" tab to my static IP.
Now... this is all I expected to do. But this doesn't work. Check on canyouseeme.com and lo and behold, can't connect on port 6112, or any other forwarded port for that matter.
3)I go into the windows firewall, add a service labled "Blizzard" with external/internal TCP port 6112 as an exception. This works, according to canyouseeme.com, but only for like two tries, then it goes back to telling me "connection refused" on that port.
I'm really at a loss. Shouldn't windows firewall be telling me if it's blocking traffic? I know I have it set to, and in the past I haven't really had to fuck with the firewall too much to get ports forwarded.
If this has nothing to do with windows firewall, then what the hell is going on with the router? I tried connecting directly to the modem, but couldn't establish a connection (and yeah, I reset everything to work with DCHP) which is a huge red flag to me, but I don't really know how to proceed.

Dance Commander on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, so, despite the weird results from canyouseeme.com I was just able to host a game fine... so god only knows what's going on.
    Is it really necessary to set up services in windows firewall to get that port 6112 through? Because I swear I have done this exact thing before by just forwarding the ports on the router.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    have you tried disabling the windows firewall temporarily?

Most harm (if you're not an idiot opening/downloading weird shit) comes from incoming connections (unpatched exploits etc..) so having 2 firewalls is not necessary or recommended.

Edit: I honestly would recommend disabling the windows firewall altogether, then you are dealing with one piece of hardware which could cause an issue.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, but oddly, turning off the firewall accomplished nothing, whereas adding exceptions within it worked fine. It's late, it's possible I'm hurrying and not giving the settings enough time to kick in before testing.. I think I'll return to this in the morning.

Dance Commander on