Options

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not really a good impact but an impact.

It set the precedent that documentaries have to be infotainment much like the news.

in the long run I think he's hurt the documentary style more than helped it. Moore's shown that documentaries can be money making but only people willing to put entertainment value above truthfulness and objectivity are ever going to see that money.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've seen it, but I understand why they put 9/11 on there over Roger and Me.

Comparing it to Titanic is a bit disingenuous, though. It's a major feat to depose ET, sure, but it had to happen eventually. Moore broke a sort of stigma against documentaries that the general public may have had. I mean, yeah, it's basically a training film on how to lie to people to make them sympathetic for your cause, but it was a part of a major dissent against the president that made an impact from an entertainment venue.
    So you attach "cultural significance" to it to justify its selection, but I'm saying if you do that, a whole gang of shit movies (like say Goonies or maybe even the Harry Potters) suddenly warrant inclusion into this list because lots of people saw them or they captured some kind of iconic moment. I mean this is perhaps how shit like Meet the Parents got on there and such, and if I'm looking for a guide to movies worth checking out, "big box office" seems weak.

I dunno, if I was looking for a list to work off of, I'd want quality films over just cultural or even pop cultural significance, but I mean that's how you have to read and work with these things anyway.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not really a good impact but an impact.

It set the precedent that documentaries have to be infotainment much like the news.

in the long run I think he's hurt the documentary style more than helped it. Moore's shown that documentaries can be money making but only people willing to put entertainment value above truthfulness and objectivity are ever going to see that money.
    To be fair it was probably Pumping Iron that did that, it just took an awfully long time fore people to catch up with what they were doing. And in truth it was Errol Morris' films that really started intelligently and very willfully pointing out the inherent inaccuracies of "cinema verite." Not to mention that Fahrenheit 9/11 appeared to be an extremely conscious rip-off, sometimes scene-for-scene, of the Oscar-winning Hearts and Minds from 1971.

That movie is what it is -- Michael Moore's most nakedly political and rhetorical piece (till SiCKO) and really isn't much of a "film" as much as it is an extended political ad. I dunno -- kudos to it for plugging into whatever it plugged into in order to get all that cash, but I don't think it really belongs on the list of "significant" films.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still can't believe it won the fucking Palme d'Or.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I still can't believe it won the fucking Palme d'Or.
    Yeah that's a slap in the face to actually talented filmmakers.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still don't get how Dark City didn't make the list, its like an art picture in motion with some solid performances and memorable characters!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's hard to attach meaning to films. I mean my generation still attaches significance to movies like Ferris Bueller's Day Off just because everyone's seen it a million times. It's not a particularly great movie and anyone outside that age group would probably enjoy it but wouldn't call it a landmark film or anything.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    I still don't get how Dark City didn't make the list, its like an art picture in motion with some solid performances and memorable characters!
    While I like Dark City quite a bit, let's be honest that it's really not much more than a solid genre piece (sci-fi). If you stretch it to say it's a comic book film like Roger Ebert did, it gets a little bit more interesting, but it's not exactly a revolutionary piece of film or stunning social critique or anything. In the pantheon of snobby films, it really doesn't rate.

• Options
    edited August 2007
    It had hints of some real depth but the ending was lousy and avoided any real conclusion

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hrmrmrmrmmm

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
    Nanook of the North (1922)
    Metropolis (1927)
    All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
    Frankenstein (1931)
    Duck Soup (1933)
    King Kong (1933)
    Triumph of the Will (1934)
    Modern Times (1936)
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)
    The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    Gone With the Wind (1939)
    Fantasia (1940)
    Pinocchio (1940)
    The Bank Dick (1940)
    Dumbo (1941)
    It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
    Singin' in the Rain (1952)
    Night and Fog (1955) oh my God
    The Ten Commandments (1956)
    12 Angry Men (1957)
    The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
    The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
    Some Like It Hot (1959)
    Spartacus (1960)
    West Side Story (1961)
    To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
    The Nutty Professor (1963)
    The Great Escape (1963)
    Goldfinger (1964)
    Dr. Strangelove (1964)
    A Hard Day's Night (1964)
    The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    Doctor Zhivago (1965)
    The Sound of Music (1965)
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    Cool Hand Luke (1967)
    Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
    The Jungle Book (1967)
    Planet of the Apes (1968)
    The Producers (1968)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
    Woodstock (1970)
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    Deliverance (1972)
    The Godfather (1972)
    American Graffiti (1973)
    Enter the Dragon (1973)
    Sleeper (1973)
    Young Frankenstein (1974)
    Blazing Saddles (1974)
    The Godfather Part II (1974)
    One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
    Jaws (1975)
    Carrie (1976)
    All the President's Men (1976)
    Rocky (1976)
    Star Wars (1977)
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    The Deer Hunter (1978)
    Grease (1978)
    Alien (1979)
    The Jerk (1979)
    The Muppet Movie (1979)
    Manhattan (1979)
    Mad Max (1979)
    The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    Airplane! (1980)
    Raging Bull (1980)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    Das Boot (1981)
    Gallipoli (1981)
    Chariots of Fire (1981)
    An American Werewolf in London (1981)
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1981)
    E.T. The Extra-Terestrial (1982)
    Blade Runner (1982)
    Tootsie (1982)
    A Christmas Story (1983)
    Return of the Jedi (1983)
    Scarface (1983)
    The Terminator (1984)
    This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
    Ghostbusters (1984)
    The Natural (1984)
    The Breakfast Club (1985)
    Back to the Future (1985)
    The Fly (1986)
    Aliens (1986)
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
    Top Gun (1986)
    Raising Arizona (1987)
    Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    The Princess Bride (1987)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Bull Durham (1988)
    A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
    The Naked Gun (1988)
    Big (1988)
    Die Hard (1988)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
    Rain Man (1988)
    Batman (1989)
    The Killer (1989)
    Roger & Me (1989)
    Glory (1989)
    Goodfellas (1990)
    Dances with Wolves (1990)
    Pretty Woman (1990)
    Total Recall (1990)
    Thelma & Louise (1991)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
    The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    Reservoir Dogs (1992)
    Unforgiven (1992)
    Groundhog Day (1993)
    Philadelphia (1993)
    Jurassic Park (1993)
    Schindler's List (1993)
    Forrest Gump (1994)
    The Lion King (1994)
    Clerks (1994)
    Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
    Pulp Fiction (1994)
    The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    Babe (1995)
    Braveheart (1995)
    Toy Story (1995)
    Clueless (1995)
    Se7en (1995)
    Fargo (1996)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Princess Mononoke (1997)
    L.A. Confidential (1997)
    Boogie Nights (1997)
    Titanic (1997)
    The Big Lebowski (1998)
    Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    Rushmore (1998)
    Happiness (1998)
    There's Something About Mary (1998)
    The Blair Witch Project (1999)
    Three Kings (1999)
    Fight Club (1999)
    Being John Malkovich (1999)
    American Beauty (1999)
    The Matrix (1999)
    The Sixth Sense (1999)
    Gladiator (2000)
    Meet the Parents (2000)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
    Spirited Away (2001)
    The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    Good Bye Lenin! (2003)
    Lost in Translation (2003)
    Der Untergang (2004)
    Sideways (2004)

uh, that's 166, if i counted right. i think i did. anyways, that's a neat list because it's interesting to see which classic movies came out in the same year

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    While I like Dark City quite a bit, let's be honest that it's really not much more than a solid genre piece (sci-fi). If you stretch it to say it's a comic book film like Roger Ebert did, it gets a little bit more interesting, but it's not exactly a revolutionary piece of film or stunning social critique or anything. In the pantheon of snobby films, it really doesn't rate.

I really wish people wouldn't refer to movies as "comic book movies" when they're not actually based on comic books.

For that matter, I think calling Dark City "science fiction" is something of a stretch, but let's not get into that.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I really wish people wouldn't refer to movies as "comic book movies" when they're not actually based on comic books.

For that matter, I think calling Dark City "science fiction" is something of a stretch, but let's not get into that.
    Man Roger Ebert, the man who named it the best film of the year it came out, said that shit not me. He said it had the visual style of a comic book and you know what? He has a point.

Also how is it not science fiction? I don't see a single other genre it could realistically fall into.

• Options
    edited August 2007
    It falls under awesome films with Kiefer Sutherland in them. Like Phonebooth and The Lost Boys.

Though if you get a chance to watch Desert Saints, avoid it, not a good film for the most part.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It was more of a film noir style turned up 50 times than a comic book.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I've seen it, but I understand why they put 9/11 on there over Roger and Me.

Comparing it to Titanic is a bit disingenuous, though. It's a major feat to depose ET, sure, but it had to happen eventually. Moore broke a sort of stigma against documentaries that the general public may have had. I mean, yeah, it's basically a training film on how to lie to people to make them sympathetic for your cause, but it was a part of a major dissent against the president that made an impact from an entertainment venue.
    So you attach "cultural significance" to it to justify its selection, but I'm saying if you do that, a whole gang of shit movies (like say Goonies or maybe even the Harry Potters) suddenly warrant inclusion into this list because lots of people saw them or they captured some kind of iconic moment. I mean this is perhaps how shit like Meet the Parents got on there and such, and if I'm looking for a guide to movies worth checking out, "big box office" seems weak.

I dunno, if I was looking for a list to work off of, I'd want quality films over just cultural or even pop cultural significance, but I mean that's how you have to read and work with these things anyway.

I think it's trying to toe that line. There's quite a bit of stuff on there that's there because it is 100% quality cinema. There's also a lot of stuff on there that's socially significant. I think Meet the Parents is on there because, without that movie, it's somewhat difficult to understand why Ben Stiller keeps getting work (Meet the Fockers was wonderful, though).

Actually, no, that's not really true, because Keeping the Faith was pretty good, and we all know that his father is one of the funniest men alive. Maybe it's there because it's one of the most popular, and possibly best, examples of that Murphy's Law subgenre of comedy.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It falls under awesome films with Kiefer Sutherland in them. Like Phonebooth and The Lost Boys.

Though if you get a chance to watch Desert Saints, avoid it, not a good film for the most part.

What?!

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

What?!
    I just assumed we were all thinking it.

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Why are so many people jailed?

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I liked phonebooth fuck you guys! I also liked Bubba Hotep which was missing from the list!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2007

What?!
    I just assumed we were all thinking it.

Seriously.q

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I liked phonebooth fuck you guys! I also liked Bubba Hotep which was missing from the list!

Man, you know what movie should be on there? Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde. That movie was awesome, dude. Like the part where his/her breasts deflate. Classic.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Assuming the average movie is 2 hours it would take you 84 days straight (with no eating or potty breaks) to watch all these movies.

Thats really my only comment I guess.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Why are so many people jailed?

I don't know about cel, but for me and a few others, it starts with an "R" and ends with a "monkey boy."

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Um how come I saw Evil Dead on the list, but no Evil Dead 2.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Man, you know what movie should be on there? Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde. That movie was awesome, dude. Like the part where his/her breasts deflate. Classic.

That had the guy from wings right? The in the closet one?

I think if we are talking about great documentaries we need Idiocracy added. Brought to you by Carls Jr.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Uh, aliens and telekinesis and reality-warping powers and shit, in space

That's pretty sci fi

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Uh, aliens and telekinesis and reality-warping powers and shit, in space

That's pretty sci fi
    If I give Charles Bronson a raygun, is Death Wish a science fiction movie?

Dark City has pseudoscientific trappings; that doesn't make it a science fiction movie. It could just as easily have taken place in another plane of existence run by demons and all the telekinesis and whatnot operated by magic. Frankly, I think I would have liked it more if it were, because then I wouldn't have been irritated by nonsense science like the psychiatrist injecting people/aliens with memories and "reality-warping powers". (Honestly, the fact that you think "reality-warping" is "science fiction" truly baffles me -- the idea that one can shape the material universe simply by thinking is thoroughly anti-scientific.) It's a lot easier to justify that sort of thing with magic.

Mind you, I still think it was a good movie, I just don't think it was a good science fiction movie.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Since when has science fiction had anything to do with science? It's mostly magic dressed up with LEDs and sci-babble pseudojargon. The second job for scientists worldwide is patiently explaining over and over to scifi dorks that no transporters aren't real.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    It also has a notorious lack of non-American flicks. Okay, Straw Dogs is on it, but that's a UK flick. What about Lilja 4-Ever? I'd consider that a must-see. The Inheritance is pretty damn good, too.

It has just about every Australian movie that turned a profit during the 90's.

RocketScience on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Since when has science fiction had anything to do with science? It's mostly magic dressed up with LEDs and sci-babble pseudojargon. The second job for scientists worldwide is patiently explaining over and over to scifi dorks that no transporters aren't real.

Recognize that there's a difference between hard science fiction and soft science fiction (or, less widely accepted, "wet" science fiction, where the 'wet' sciences are biology and genetics). Hard SF writers like Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke, and, in film, 2001, are based very firmly in real science, even if it's not apparent on the surface.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    It also has a notorious lack of non-American flicks. Okay, Straw Dogs is on it, but that's a UK flick. What about Lilja 4-Ever? I'd consider that a must-see. The Inheritance is pretty damn good, too.

It has just about every Australian movie that turned a profit during the 90's.

yeah, i don't know what you're talking about. i'm no foreign film expert, but i count at least 150-200 foreign films on that list

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »

Recognize that there's a difference between hard science fiction and soft science fiction (or, less widely accepted, "wet" science fiction, where the 'wet' sciences are biology and genetics). Hard SF writers like Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke, and, in film, 2001, are based very firmly in real science, even if it's not apparent on the surface.

Asimov was more about keeping the trappings of science more than really aiming towards science. Foundation was a neat idea, but psychohistory the way it's implemented isn't exactly the kind of thing that makes any sense scientifically.

Clarke is a little better, and he seemed to have tried to keep current in journals and so forth, but "zero point energy," for instance, is basically something he scraped from the pseudo- bin of QM.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    2. The Great Train Robbery (1903)
    3. The Birth of a Nation (1915)
    6. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)
    14. Nanook of the North (1922)
    27. The Battleship Potemkin (1925)
    51. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
    55. Dracula (1931)
    56. Frankenstein (1931)
    67. Shanghai Express (1932)
    78. King Kong (1933)
    95. Modern Times (1936)
    110. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)
    123. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    134. Fantasia (1940)
    138. Pinocchio (1940)
    141. Citizen Kane (1941)
    144. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
    146. Dumbo (1941)
    152. Casablanca (1942)
    166. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
    195. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    201. The Bicycle Thief (1948)
    273. Animal Farm (1954)
    274. Rear Window (1954)
    324. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
    363. Psycho (1960)
    380. The Hustler (1961)
    396. The Birds (1963)
    397. The Nutty Professor (1963)
    415. Goldfinger (1964)
    421. Dr. Strangelove (1964)
    425. The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    433. Doctor Zhivago (1965)
    437. The Sound of Music (1965)
    449. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    459. The Graduate (1967)
    470.Once Upon A Time in the West (1968)
    480. Planet of the Apes (1968)
    482. Rosemary's Baby (1968) C
    488. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    491. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    516. Patton (1970)
    525. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    527. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
    534. The French Connection (1971)
    535. Shaft (1971)
    536. Dirty Harry (1971)
    546. High Plains Drifter (1972)
    548. Deliverance (1972)
    550. The Godfather (1972)
    561. American Graffiti (1973)
    563. Enter the Dragon (1973)
    571. The Exorcist (1973)
    579. The Conversation (1974)
    580. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
    583. Young Frankenstein (1974)
    584. Chinatown (1974)
    586. Blazing Saddles (1974)
    587. The Godfather Part II (1974)
    591. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    593. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    594. The Wall (1975)
    595. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
    605. Jaws (1975)
    607. Carrie (1976)
    610. Rocky (1976)
    611. Taxi Driver (1976)
    612. Network (1976)
    617. Star Wars (1977)
    618. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
    624. Saturday Night Fever (1977)
    631. Suspiria (1977)
    635. The Deer Hunter (1978)
    636. Grease (1978)
    638. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    640. Up in Smoke (1978)
    641. Halloween (1978)
    646. Alien (1979)
    652. Life of Brian (1979)
    653. Apocalypse Now (1979)
    654. The Jerk (1979)
    655. The Muppet Movie (1979)
    657. Mad Max (1979)
    662. The Shining (1980)
    663. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    665. The Big Red One (1980)
    667. Airplane! (1980)
    668. Raging Bull (1980)
    669. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    672. Chariots of Fire (1981)
    673. Body Heat (1981)
    675. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
    679. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1981)
    680. E.T. The Extra-Terestrial (1982)
    681. The Thing (1982)
    682. Poltergeist (1982)
    683. Blade Runner (1982)
    684. The Evil Dead (1982)
    689. Gandhi (1982)
    693. A Christmas Story (1983)
    696. Return of the Jedi (1983)
    705. The Right Stuff (1983)
    707. Once Upon a Time in America (1983)
    708. Scarface (1983)
    711. The Terminator (1984)
    713. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    714. This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    715. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
    716. Ghostbusters (1984)
    717. A Passage to India (1984)
    720. The Natural (1984)
    721. The Breakfast Club (1985)
    725. Out of Africa (1985)
    727. Back to the Future (1985)
    729. Brazil (1985)
    736. The Color Purple (1985)
    738. Stand By Me (1986)
    743. The Fly (1986)
    744. Aliens (1986)
    745. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
    749. Platoon (1986)
    754. Top Gun (1986)
    761. Raising Arizona (1987)
    762. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    764. Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)
    768. The Princess Bride (1987)
    769. Moonstruck (1987)
    770. The Untouchables (1987)
    773. Fatal Attraction (1987)
    783. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
    784. The Naked Gun (1988)
    785. Big (1988)
    790. Die Hard (1988)
    792. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
    793. Rain Man (1988)
    797. Batman (1989)
    798. When Harry Met Sally (1989)
    803. The Killer (1989)
    804. Do the Right Thing (1989)
    805. Roger & Me (1989)
    809. Say Anything (1989)
    814. Goodfellas (1990)
    815. Jacob's Ladder (1990)
    817. Dances with Wolves (1990)
    819. Pretty Woman (1990)
    823. Edward Scissorhands (1990)
    825. Total Recall (1990)
    827. Boyz 'n the Hood (1991)
    835. Thelma & Louise (1991)
    836. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
    837. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    840. Tongues Untied (1991)
    844. The Player (1992)
    845. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
    846. Romper Stomper (1992)
    848. Unforgiven (1992)
    855. Groundhog Day (1993)
    857. Short Cuts (1993)
    858. Philadelphia (1993)
    859. The Puppetmaster (1993)
    860. Jurassic Park (1993)
    865. Schindler's List (1993)
    868. Hoop Dreams (1994)
    869. Forrest Gump (1994)
    870. The Lion King (1994)
    871. Clerks (1994)
    872. Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
    873. Natural Born Killers (1994)
    875. Pulp Fiction (1994)
    876. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    878. Chungking Express (1994)
    882. Heavenly Creatures (1994)
    886. Babe (1995)
    888. Braveheart (1995)
    890. Toy Story (1995)
    891. Casino (1995)
    892. Heat (1995)
    894. Clueless (1995)
    897. Se7en (1995)
    901. The Usual Suspects (1995)
    907. Independence Day (1996)
    911. Trainspotting (1996)
    912. Scream (1996)
    913. The English Patient (1996)
    916. L.A. Confidential (1997)
    919. Boogie Nights (1997)
    926. Titanic (1997)
    927. The Big Lebowski (1998)
    929. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    933. The Idiots (1998)
    936. The Thin Red Line (1998)
    937. There's Something About Mary (1998)
    941. Magnolia (1999)
    943. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
    944. Three Kings (1999)
    948. Fight Club (1999)
    949. Being John Malkovich (1999)
    950. American Beauty (1999)
    952. The Matrix (1999)
    953. The Sixth Sense (1999)
    959. Gladiator (2000)
    962. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
    964. Meet the Parents (2000)
    966. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
    967. Traffic (2000)
    969. Memento (2000)
    972. Y Tu Mamá También (2001)
    978. Moulin Rouge (2001)
    982. Mulholland Dr. (2001)
    983. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
    989. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

212 for me and I still have a huge chunk of classics to watch. I'm only 21 but I've been taking a few film classes and my parents were BIG movie buffs.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Constant Gardener is on the list. I consider that film science fiction, what with the notion that photographs capture the entirety of the reality they frame rather than just a finite number of pixels.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The Constant Gardener is on the list. I consider that film science fiction, what with the notion that photographs capture the entirety of the reality they frame rather than just a finite number of pixels.

It think the point is not whether or not it contains things that are scientific realities, but if things that specifically aren't scientific realities are the crux of the plot.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It think the point is not whether or not it contains things that are scientific realities, but if things that specifically aren't scientific realities are the crux of the plot.

Yeah I was being an ass due to my incredulity that TCG was on the list.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I suppose that makes sense. Still haven't seen it, myself.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    43 movies at age 23. Obviously most of those I seen are the more recent entries.

La Belle et la Bête (1946)
    It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    The Godfather (1972)
    Enter the Dragon (1973)
    The Godfather Part II (1974)
    Rocky (1976)
    Star Wars (1977)
    The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    E.T. The Extra-Terestrial (1982)
    The Thing (1982)
    Return of the Jedi (1983)
    Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
    Ghostbusters (1984)
    Back to the Future (1985)
    The Decline of the American Empire (1986)
    Top Gun (1986)
    Die Hard (1988)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
    Batman (1989)
    Pretty Woman (1990)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
    The Puppetmaster (1993)
    Jurassic Park (1993)
    Schindler's List (1993)
    Forrest Gump (1994)
    The Lion King (1994)
    Pulp Fiction (1994)
    Braveheart (1995)
    Toy Story (1995)
    Independence Day (1996)
    Scream (1996)
    The English Patient (1996)
    Titanic (1997)
    Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    The Thin Red Line (1998)
    There's Something About Mary (1998)
    The Blair Witch Project (1999)
    Fight Club (1999)
    American Beauty (1999)
    The Matrix (1999)
    Gladiator (2000)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm 24 and I've seen 196 movies from that list mostly thanks to my father. I also recognized about 100 more movies that my father has in his collection but that I haven't watched myself. One of the reasons that he's watched and collected so many movies is that for about a decade he was in very poor health and that watching movies was one of the few things that we could do together as a family on a regular basis.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is kind of scary.

Right now I'm going through the list removing all the films I HAVE seen because I'm pretty sure my post will come out shorter if I do the opposite of everybody else.

I've seriously seen over half of these. I actually have seen every one on the list from 1902-1943. Meshes of the Afternoon is the first thing on the list that I haven't seen... yet.

Taramoor on