As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer upgrade

postenlpostenl Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Thanks to Bioshock I am upgrading my computer soon. So I did some research and I think im going to go with
a core 2 duo 2.66ghz, Geforce 8800GTS (320 mb), and 2 gigs of ddr2 800 memory.

But I am not sure what kind of PSU to get. The info on the graphics card says a minimum of 400W, but that sounds a little low. would I be okay with a 450 or 500? (I will only have one HDD, and 1 optical drive)

Also, I have a pretty pitiful 2.1 speaker system. Since theres no way im going to get a surround sound system setup for my computer I was thinking about getting some of those 5.1 headphones like these, the reviews suggest they have good sound quality and the surround sound actually works, but they aren't built very sturdy. Can anyone suggest anything like this thats under $100? or should I stay away from these and just go with a better 2.1 system?

Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748
postenl on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1) You'd want about 600W power supply. That's always a good standard in a gaming rig.

2) Those headphones are sweet. I don't need headphones to be sturdy (They just lay on my tower when not in use), I need them to be of good quality sound. And those are it.

NOTE: The Video card recommends a 400W power supply, but with that processor and memory (including all IDE/SATA devices) the lowest I would be comfortable recommending is 600W.

urahonky on
  • Options
    postenlpostenl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    2) Those headphones are sweet. I don't need headphones to be sturdy (They just lay on my tower when not in use), I need them to be of good quality sound. And those are it.

Great, what I meant by "not very sturdy" is that they might fall apart from normal use after a while. But since you say otherwise I guess I will go ahead and get them.

postenl on
    Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    postenl wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Great, what I meant by "not very sturdy" is that they might fall apart from normal use after a while. But since you say otherwise I guess I will go ahead and get them.

Ahh okay, as long as you don't step on them, I'm sure you'll be alright.

urahonky on