Options

Paramount and Dreamworks Go HD DVD Exclusive

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Let's put it this way: the reason neither format will replace DVD is the same reason audio CDs never got replaced by audio DVDs.

The costs are greater (or at least they were for a long time in the case of CD vs. DVD), there's no real benefit that can be easily perceived by Joe Average, and it's just flat a pain in the ass to switch formats.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not so sure about that. SDTV's are getting harder and harder to find at retail outlets, and regular DVDs look considerably worse on HDTV's than SD's.

Plus, about the price...they're new formats. Remember when DVDs came out? Wal-Mart had that shit behind a glass case. Everything's expensive when it first premieres.

And also, once the price comes down, it won't be that big of a pain in the ass to switch formats. It really wasn't a pain in the ass to switch from VCR to DVD.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not so sure about that. SDTV's are getting harder and harder to find at retail outlets, and regular DVDs look considerably worse on HDTV's than SD's.

They only look considerably worse if the person knows enough about it to set the HDTV up properly.

Couscous on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also I always liked to show off my HDtv to my friends this way:

I'd put on House (on FOX) in standard def. It was a little blurry but you could make everything out.

Then I'd put it on the HD FOX channel (same episode of House) and holy shit their reaction is classic. It was basically an array of "WTF"s and "Holy shit!"s

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

They only look considerably worse if the person knows enough about it to set the HDTV up properly.

Which is what a LOT of people do. But then the TV programming will look like crap too, and people might be inclined to blame the TV rather than the DVD.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Plus, about the price...they're new formats. Remember when DVDs came out? Wal-Mart had that shit behind a glass case. Everything's expensive when it first premieres.

And also, once the price comes down, it won't be that big of a pain in the ass to switch formats. It really wasn't a pain in the ass to switch from VCR to DVD.

But WHY are people going to switch?

First off, people keep TVs for a while, so even his stores only had HDTVs, that doesn't mean everyone has one now.

And, let's be honest, these discs are basically DVDs with more storage space. Well, folks have DVD players already, and dvd collections. Why would they want to spend all the cash to replace everything when they're getting very little in in return?

Evander on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "The Look And Sound Of Perfect"? Does it say that on the actual cases you'd buy or is it just a promo thing? Because that would be seriously off-putting.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Well they do look considerably worse unless they are up converted. It also depends on what kind of tv. CRTs and DLPs do a lot better with sd content. No matter how well you setup a lcd running something at the non native resolution looks like shit. More so if it is interlaced. God FFXII looked like shit on my lcd, I have nightmares.

corin7 on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »
    "The Look And Sound Of Perfect"? Does it say that on the actual cases you'd buy or is it just a promo thing? Because that would be seriously off-putting.

That's what it says. I really don't like the branding that both formats have gone through.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Evander wrote: »

First off, people keep TVs for a while, so even his stores only had HDTVs, that doesn't mean everyone has one now.

And, let's be honest, these discs are basically DVDs with more storage space. Well, folks have DVD players already, and dvd collections. Why would they want to spend all the cash to replace everything when they're getting very little in in return?

You're forgetting something vital: TV's shit out.

My TV shit out yesterday. Rather than wasting money getting a shitty TV repaired, I went and got a new HD. I wouldn't expect the average consumer to be too different. Took it home to find out that most of my movies on DVDs look slightly worse (but still watchable), while full-screen TV shows (Scrubs) look atrocious. This in itself is definitely pushing me to get an HD format even more. And why wouldn't people want to take advantage of their new toys?

Of course, you could be like one of those people who are still holding on to their VCRs for dear life, claiming that there's no point in buying anything twice.

EDIT: And I knew what I was getting into with my regular DVDs and programming when I bought my HDTV (LCD, by the way). But I think people are underestimating how much new formats of anything (TVs, stereos, movie formats, etc.) sell just because they're new and high-tech.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rook wrote: »

That's what it says. I really don't like the branding that both formats have gone through.

Ooh goody. Nothing I like better than my own property advertising at me.

Paul_IQ164 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

How often do you look at the front of the case anyway? I have mine on a DVD rack, and all I see is the movie title.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Meh, it's no worse than buying a Zelda game only to have it read ONLY FOR GAMECUBE at the top. No shit it's only for GameCube. It's a Nintendo property and a Nintendo system.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Why would they replace everything? HD players are backwards compatible: keep your old dvds, but buy new stuff in HD.

Also, while I'm here, I wanted to respond to someone on the first page who owns an HD DVD player but won't buy many movies for it in case the format dies. Why are you doing this? You have the player. Even if they don't make HD DVDs anymore, the ones you own will still work.

EDIT: UnbreakableVow: iDennal Plan Revolucion!

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey does that mean Gladiator in HD-DVD? Hmmm.

$179.99 for that addon is still higher than I want to pay with the uncertainty though....$129.99 would be sweet.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's no format war where I live (in Ireland), HD-DVD is non-existant here, Blu-Ray is everywhere.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Meh, it's no worse than buying a Zelda game only to have it read ONLY FOR GAMECUBE at the top. No shit it's only for GameCube. It's a Nintendo property and a Nintendo system.
    Well, I'm not a fan of that either. At least it's small though. And gramatically correct.

Paul_IQ164 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    But I think people are underestimating how much new formats of anything (TVs, stereos, movie formats, etc.) sell just because they're new and high-tech.

It's easy to overestimate that as well. Lots of Sony's "better" formats for storage crapped out instantly, Beta got killed by VHS even though it looked significantly better, the most technologically advanced video game console never wins its generation (SNES vs. Genesis aside, where both had unique strengths and weaknesses), etc.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You don't replace everything. If you have a decent upconverting DVD player or your TV has one then a DVD will look better on a HDTV than a SDTV and then you just buy new stuff in a HDTV format. Also to your previous post about downloading movies, people keep saying this, but I really see no evidence of it happening. Downloading games isn't even mainstream yet and that crowd is far more tech savvy than the average person who watches movies.

khain on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »

Why would they replace everything? HD players are backwards compatible: keep your old dvds, but buy new stuff in HD.

Also, while I'm here, I wanted to respond to someone on the first page who owns an HD DVD player but won't buy many movies for it in case the format dies. Why are you doing this? You have the player. Even if they don't make HD DVDs anymore, the ones you own will still work.

It could be the case of having too much stuff hooked up to one TV by the time the next format rolls around.

I was not aware that HD-DVD players are backward-compatible with DVDs, by the way. That's another huge boon for me in the HD/BR war.

They just need to keep BC going as they move along into the next format.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you prefer "The Best in Picture, Sound and Interactivity"?

Because that's what the tagline used to be, and while somewhat grammatically correct, it's a horrible, horrible tagline.

rufo on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It could be the case of having too much stuff hooked up to one TV by the time the next format rolls around.

I was not aware that HD-DVD players are backward-compatible with DVDs, by the way. That's another huge boon for me in the HD/BR war.

They just need to keep BC going as they move along into the next format.
    To be fair, all Blu-ray players will play DVDs as well...

rufo on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It gets worse. Some movies begin with commercials (skippable, thankfully) for HD DVD.

Really? I own the format. I don't need to be told how good it is, I know how good it is! That's why I bought it! Arg.

Still, it's better than trailers for some stupid romantic comedy/dodgeball movie that pollute DVDs.

EDIT: Yeah, both HD formats are backwards compatible. How did people not know this?

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    EDIT: UnbreakableVow: iDennal Plan Revolucion!

I love you.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

First, I think both Toshiba & Sony have done a poor job educating people on their formats. It's comments like yours that show a lot of general ignorance about the differences between them and the old format. Even if you gloss over the specs, all you have to do is a side-by-side comparison of a DVD and Hidef on and HDTV and average Joe says "Wow, I see the difference!"

Edit: I'm a dumbass. I didn't know both formats were backwards compatible. Another bit of evidence that even a tech savvy user is confused about this stuff.

Personally, I think the only reason that Sony has been able to drag this out is because they included a Blu-ray player with the PS3. Those console owners are the ones renting at Blockbuster, and without them, they'd be sunk.

Regarding the comment about kids and Disney movies, I don't think anyone except for a few wealthy few are going to go out and buy another expensive DVD player and replace their already large collection of Disney movies so their kids can have a better experience while watching their favorite cartoons. The people voting with their dollars right now are the early adopters who are tech-savvy enough to know the difference, not little kids with rich parents.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Okay, two different posts, two different claims:

Are Blu-ray players (outside of the PS3) compatible with DVDs?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Eh. This is just a sign that the format war will go on and on and on until people are so annoyed they ignore both. VHS succeeded over Beta for two reasons:

1: There was no technology anywhere near like video tapes at that point, and people really really wanted them.
    2.: VHS had a killer advantage over Beta, namely the fact that it was cheaper and omnipresent (as opposed to the more expensive, more limited Beta).

In this case, people aren't exactly clamoring for the tech (as said before, it's not as "ooooh, shiny" as DVD, and many average people can't tell a difference), it's too soon/similar to DVD, and neither side really has the killer advantage. And without that, people are going to be more inclined to say "eh, fuck it."
    All I know is what I've read on Wikipedia, but they say VHS essentially won because of playtime. Companies like RCA wanted tapes with longer playtime. Sony(Beta) refused because they said it couldn't be done with acceptable picture quality. JVC conceded and produced longer tapes with bad picture quality. In the end, they won.

I'd try to use that to say that picture quality also isn't a primary concern for consumers when they buy DVD players, but the truth is the decision was made higher up. RCA (and eventually every manufacturer) wanted the machines, and people just bought what was available. Same thing that is sorta going on with HDTV. I don't think people really want it that bad, but really its all thats available when you're TV shopping anymore, so that's what people will buy. Same thing will happen with this format war once its settled. Even if consumers don't care, they'll eventually be forced into something.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
    Compatibility
    While it is not compulsory for manufacturers, the Blu-ray Disc Association recommends that Blu-ray Disc drives should be capable of reading standard DVDs for backward compatibility. For instance, Samsung's first Blu-ray Disc drive can read CDs, regular DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs. All other Blu-ray Disc players released support DVD playback as well, however not all support CD playback. This includes Sony, Panasonic, Philips, LG, Pioneer and PC-based players from Alienware, Sony, and Dell. LG has also produced a player that is capable of playing both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats.

[edit] Stand-alone players

PlayStation 3 (Sony)
    VidaBox MAX Dual Blu-ray Disc+HD DVD SystemThe home video game console system PlayStation 3 (Sony) is shipped with a 2x Blu-ray Disc drive. The drive is read-only as is the case with most game console optical drives. According to Sony's press releases, it supports DVD (8x), CD (24x), and SACD (2x) formats in addition to BD-ROM, BD-R, and BD-RE. Full HD 1080/60p and 24p True Cinema Video Output. AVCHD Media playback with x.v.Color output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD
    Compatibility
    Backward compatibility will be available with all HD DVD players, allowing users to have a single player in their homes to play all types of HD DVD, DVD and CD discs. There is also a hybrid HD DVD format which contains both DVD and HD DVD versions of the same movie on a single disc, providing smoother transition for the studios in terms of publishing movies, and letting consumers with only DVD drives still use the discs. DVD disc replication companies can continue using their current production equipment with only minor alterations when changing over to the format of HD DVD replication. Due to the structure of the single-lens optical head, both red and blue laser diodes can be used in smaller, more compact HD DVD players

The way I understand this is that backward compat is required for HDDVD and is simply put in as a recomendataion for BluRay, but feel free to read it however you will.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Eh. This is just a sign that the format war will go on and on and on until people are so annoyed they ignore both. VHS succeeded over Beta for two reasons:

1: There was no technology anywhere near like video tapes at that point, and people really really wanted them.
    2.: VHS had a killer advantage over Beta, namely the fact that it was cheaper and omnipresent (as opposed to the more expensive, more limited Beta).

In this case, people aren't exactly clamoring for the tech (as said before, it's not as "ooooh, shiny" as DVD, and many average people can't tell a difference), it's too soon/similar to DVD, and neither side really has the killer advantage. And without that, people are going to be more inclined to say "eh, fuck it."
    All I know is what I've read on Wikipedia, but they say VHS essentially won because of playtime. Companies like RCA wanted tapes with longer playtime. Sony(Beta) refused because they said it couldn't be done with acceptable picture quality. JVC conceded and produced longer tapes with bad picture quality. In the end, they won.

I'd try to use that to say that picture quality also isn't a primary concern for consumers when they buy DVD players, but the truth is the decision was made higher up. RCA (and eventually every manufacturer) wanted the machines, and people just bought what was available. Same thing that is sorta going on with HDTV. I don't think people really want it that bad, but really its all thats available when you're TV shopping anymore, so that's what people will buy. Same thing will happen with this format war once its settled. Even if consumers don't care, they'll eventually be forced into something.

Hm, interesting. I hadn't seen that bit of info before, though I wonder how much of an effect it had on things.

I don't think customers will be forced into something in this case though, mainly because Joe Average is perfectly happy with DVDs. With Beta vs. VHS, there wasn't anything similar like them.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sweet. Good to know that both are BC.

I remember about a year before PS3 was released that Blu-ray discs are also...well, really damn durable. That's definitely a plus for it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still want HD-DVD to win solely because of it's name. It's the one that fucking makes sense.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I want HDDVD to win because it seems that all sony's formats they attempt lately are filled with sony-specific crap to make themselves a tidy profit. Such as their expensive Memory Sticks (vs say SD Cards). I just find that they do what they want and try to promote it and sucker people into it. I want a format that is truely better, not one that lines your pockets because of all the damn accessories I have to buy to make the damn thing work right.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ToyD wrote: »
    I want HDDVD to win because it seems that all sony's formats they attempt lately are filled with sony-specific crap to make themselves a tidy profit. Such as their expensive Memory Sticks (vs say SD Cards). I just find that they do what they want and try to promote it and sucker people into it. I want a format that is truely better, not one that lines your pockets because of all the damn accessories I have to buy to make the damn thing work right.

BETA (Sony)
    Mini Disks (Sony)
    Sony Memory Sticks (Sony)
    Blu-Ray (Sony)

They're really trying to get their foot in that industry, now aren't they?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    One day something will work I guess.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You're forgetting something vital: TV's shit out.

I'm not forgetting anything. TVs don't break immediately, nor do they break all at once, nor do they even break at some how higher rates than other consumer products.

And, just because you went and got an HD TV instead of fixing, doesn't mean that other folks will. If they don't care about HD at all, and it's cheaper to fix it, they have no reason NOT to go that route.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    And, just because you went and got an HD TV instead of fixing, doesn't mean that other folks will. If they don't care about HD at all, and it's cheaper to fix it, they have no reason NOT to go that route.

Have you ever gotten a TV repaired? The prices are fucking astronomical. And with everyone and their damn mother not shutting up about HD, the pull will be irresistible.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I recently bought my LCD HDTV because my last TV started to die and the cost to repair was going to literally be more than I originally paid for the tv. No thanks.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    El Guaco wrote: »

First, I think both Toshiba & Sony have done a poor job educating people on their formats. It's comments like yours that show a lot of general ignorance about the differences between them and the old format. Even if you gloss over the specs, all you have to do is a side-by-side comparison of a DVD and Hidef on and HDTV and average Joe says "Wow, I see the difference!"

Edit: I'm a dumbass. I didn't know both formats were backwards compatible. Another bit of evidence that even a tech savvy user is confused about this stuff.

Personally, I think the only reason that Sony has been able to drag this out is because they included a Blu-ray player with the PS3. Those console owners are the ones renting at Blockbuster, and without them, they'd be sunk.

Regarding the comment about kids and Disney movies, I don't think anyone except for a few wealthy few are going to go out and buy another expensive DVD player and replace their already large collection of Disney movies so their kids can have a better experience while watching their favorite cartoons. The people voting with their dollars right now are the early adopters who are tech-savvy enough to know the difference, not little kids with rich parents.

I know about backwards compatability.

But why are you buying an expensive new player if you're going to be using it to play your old discs on?You may watch one or two of your favorites, but if you primarily watch DVDs, then what do you need the new player for?

Evander on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

How often do you look at the front of the case anyway? I have mine on a DVD rack, and all I see is the movie title.

I've spent more time looking at the case of Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society than I have done watching the actual film :/

I guess it's one of those things like album art, sometimes they do it really well even if most of the time they don't.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    El Guaco wrote: »

I know about backwards compatability.

But why are you buying an expensive new player if you're going to be using it to play your old discs on?You may watch one or two of your favorites, but if you primarily watch DVDs, then what do you need the new player for?

Because when a new movie comes out you can watch those AND your old stuff.

Evander, we know you don't see the big deal with HD. But most people do. :)

Plus if you have a 360, the HD-DVD player is only $179. That's not much at all, considering the PS3 is $499.

urahonky on