Options

Paramount and Dreamworks Go HD DVD Exclusive

124

Posts

  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    The only person I know with an HDTV watches cable TV over RF and DVD's over composite.

    :(
    You should hook his shit up right.

    You'll be hailed as a god.

    rufo on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A couple things:

    Standard def TVs may be getting harder to find at electronics stores, but they're still extremely easy to get at Wal-Mart.

    The analog TV signal being cut off means NOTHING. I have a 27-inch sub-$200 SDTV that I bought from Wal-Mart that has a digital TUNER built in. Which means that as long as reception is halfway decent, I get to watch the digital broadcast stations.

    Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    startrekdx6.jpg

    hehe saw this one at AVS. =P

    Bamelin on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know what? Many people are suggesting that Planet Earth is the best "show off" for HD resolutions.

    Let me reiterate - the best selling point is a documentary.

    Now, for non-uneducated fucks like (presumably) most of us, that's not a problem. But for the Walmart shopping populace? Gimme a break.

    Delzhand on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    After all the negative press (Blockbuster going BD only, BD outselling HD-DVD 2:1) it's great to see HD-DVD with a huge PR win like this.

    I picked up both formats because I can't be bothered making bets on a winner. My HD-A2 puts out a fantastic image and the processor on the XA3 has to be seen to be believed. Good on em, says I.

    so which format do you buy it on when you have the choice of both?

    i guess all these studio exclusives are making it easier for you to choose the format

    xta on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Depends... looking at 300, BD got the shaft in that it's just the two-DVD version on one disc. However HD-DVD got all that plus a few more extras (I think a couple of added documentries and such).

    If I had the HD add-on I woulda picked up 300 on that instead of BD.

    Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    startrekdx6.jpg

    hehe saw this one at AVS. =P

    So Blu-ray will be back in two years to have Vulcan finger sex with Kirstie Alley?


    A dire prognosis indeed.

    Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Depends on which Kirstie Alley. Saavik-era Kirstie Alley, or ohmygodsheateshelleylong Kirstie Alley?

    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Below is the top 50 grossing Paramount / Dreamworks movies

    1. Titanic (1997)
    2. Shrek 2 (2004)
    3. Forrest Gump (1994)
    4. Shrek the Third (2007)
    5. Transformers (2007) - (Steven Spielberg – Executive Producer)
    6. Shrek (2001) - (Steven Spielberg – Executive Producer)
    7. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    8. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
    9. War of the Worlds (2005) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    10. Ghost (1990)
    11. Saving Private Ryan (1998) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    12. Mission: Impossible II (2000)
    13. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    14. Madagascar (2005)
    15. Grease (1978)
    16. Gladiator (2000)
    17. What Women Want (2000)
    18. Mission: Impossible (1996)
    19. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    20. Top Gun (1986)
    21. Crocodile Dundee (1986)
    22. Catch Me If You Can (2002) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    23. Shark Tale (2004)
    24. The Firm (1993)
    25. The Longest Yard (2005)
    26. Fatal Attraction (1987)
    27. What Lies Beneath (2000)
    28. Over the Hedge (2006)
    29. Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
    30. Runaway Bride (1999)
    31. Deep Impact (1998) - (Steven Spielberg – Executive Producer)
    32. The Godfather (1972)
    33. Mission: Impossible III (2006)
    34. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
    35. American Beauty (1999)
    36. An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)
    37. The Ring (2002)
    38. Coming to America (1988)
    39. The Truman Show (1998)
    40. Clear and Present Danger (1994)
    41. The Hunt For Red October (1990)
    42. Wayne's World (1992)
    43. The Sum of All Fears (2002)
    44. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)
    45. Blades of Glory (2007)
    46. Double Jeopardy (1999)
    47. The Addams Family (1991)
    48. Face/Off (1997)
    49. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
    50. Crocodile Dundee 2 (1988)

    There's a couple on there I might be interested in.

    Bamelin on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i cannot wait to see crocodile dundee 2 in HD

    Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really don't see either format taking off with any major success anytime soon. Certainly not in this country (Australia). Perhaps things are different in America or other places but here I really get the impression that people don't really know what the hell HD is.

    There seems to be massive misinformation on the behalf of media companies and retailers. Most people don't know the difference between HD-TV and digital TV, or between Blu Ray or DVD or HD-DVD or even the distinction between an SD plasma tv and a HD one. Let alone when you start saying things like 1080p or HDMI or whatever. And the retailers and media companies pretty much enforce this ignorance, they advertise TVs with really vague descriptions that mean even if you do know what you're looking for if you flick through a catalogue you wouldn't be able to tell what's what anyway.

    There just seems to be far to much ignorance (not to mention apathy) for it to really become an issue. And how will Blu Ray take off when the retailers are so reluctant to stock it, most of the Blu Ray sections (if they have them) I've seen are comparable to UMD sections. Both of which would be 1/4 the size of the DS game section. It's not exactly high profile, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I don't even mention the state of HD-DVD because as far as I know it doesn't even exist here, and if it does then the fact I think it doesn't says something about it's coverage.

    -SPI- on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I personally watch mostly divx/xvid. I've ripped each and every film I own (which was a time consuming process but now the spangly macbook seems to make short work of it) and do so with every new film I buy. I make sure they're roughly 800mb in size depending on length of film (sticking largely to certain standards posted on the internet which seem to work well) and plonk them all on two 320gb drives I have.

    Then from there everything is networked together. There's the trusty old xbox sitting in the living room running xbmc, an xbox in my bedroom and two laptops if I fancy watching anything in the garden :) The simple pleasure of being able to switch my xbox on and select from 400+ films/tv shows without having to get up is fantastic. Sure if I want any extras then I have to hunt down the disc from upstairs but other than that, I'm fine.

    When I can do something similar to the above with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (currently I -do- have a HD folder sitting on one of my harddrives, but I have to hook my macbook up to the tv to play those and that's a little bit of a hassle) and possibly my 360 instead of Xbox, then I'll be happy.

    Extra compression be damned, not having to get up to put a disc in is where it's at :)

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Grinch my boy, I'm in the process of doing that but my ickle ibook struggles with the encoding. Still baby steps and all. What are your two 320Gb drives hooked up too? A mac or PC?

    To be honest, though, I've fallen out of love with owning DVDs, as I never really watch a film more than once. I only buy TV box sets now days. An online rental service would work for me, which makes that Xbox live streaming thing far more interesting than the PS3s blue ray player.

    Lave II on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    At least now I have an excuse to get Smokin Aces and Batman

    there's no excuse to buy Smokin Aces. They were rolling really good with just a cool action flick, then the last 15 minutes they were all like "oh wait, we got some plot and story we want to inject about bla bla bla" LAME!

    mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Grinch my boy, I'm in the process of doing that but my ickle ibook struggles with the encoding. Still baby steps and all. What are your two 320Gb drives hooked up too? A mac or PC?.

    Two Sata drives linked to a pc which is in the spare bedroom (it's ALWAYS on) and connected (wired, not wireless. HD suffers otherwise) to the router downstairs. Had to run some cable under the carpet but it was worth it.

    Then upstairs the tv is only an SDTV and the xbox is connected wirelessly to the network.

    Current set up downstairs is:
    (Spoilered as pretty off topic!)
    IMG_0161.jpg

    I moved house recently, I don't know if you saw previously in another thread but I was living in a place with God Awful blue walls and pink carpet, I much prefer this.

    Money problems however meant I couldn't afford a decent tv cabinet (the other I used belonged to my old rented house) so the tv cabinet in the pic is actually the old coffee table I used to use with a hefty piece of wood underneath it to put all my bits and bobs on (rather than them running hot on the carpet). I actually rather like it!

    To the point, you can see, just about, the wires running behind the fireplace they've come down the stairs from the pc and plug in to the router which is actually just plonked underneath the tv cabinet out of sight.

    Stuff that NEEDS ventilation (360 and Wii) live on top. Macbook is sat there ready to be hooked up to play HD stuff :)

    If you're using an xbox then I HEARTILY recommend this little beauty I picked up:
    http://www.it247.com/Product/36-963279-0914/?channeltype=KVMCablesandAccessories&level1cat=Peripherals&keywords=36-963279-0914&prodid=36-963279-0914&level2cat=KeyboardsMiceandKVM&campaign=froogle|kvmcablesandaccessories|-&utm_medium=KVMCablesandAccessories
    (Logitech Wireless Xbox Pad. I got it £30 from Game. This is the only link I found quickly)

    Brilliantly comfortable, very much like the new 360 pad and if you're using it largely for Home Media setup then the batteries in it will last forever.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I really don't see either format taking off with any major success anytime soon. Certainly not in this country (Australia). Perhaps things are different in America or other places but here I really get the impression that people don't really know what the hell HD is.

    As I said earlier in this thread, about 86% of American HDTV owners are highly satisfied with their purchase, which sounds good, but if you turn it around, that mean that a little less than a fifth of all owners AREN'T as satisfied. If you're talking about the product that you are trying to use to FORCE change, that is really not the numbers you want.

    And also, ONLY 55% of HDTV owners actually get an HD signal into their homes. Sure, there are video games and HD disc formats that the other 45% can be using, but the factthat they don't care to pipe in HD television programming, even though they have the set really does help to seperate out the folks who really "want" HD from the folks who are simply "willing" to buy it, as a status symbol, or whatever.

    Evander on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Check it.

    Michael Bay has said that he won't direct Transformer 2 (At least I suspect that's what he's implying) now that Paramount has abandoned Blu-Ray.

    THIS JUST IN! MICHAEL BAY IS AN IDIOT. MORE AT 11!

    Centipeed on
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "The Look and Sound of Perfect."

    That kind of shit passes for english?

    thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Lave II wrote: »
    Grinch my boy, I'm in the process of doing that but my ickle ibook struggles with the encoding. Still baby steps and all. What are your two 320Gb drives hooked up too? A mac or PC?.

    Two Sata drives linked to a pc which is in the spare bedroom (it's ALWAYS on) and connected (wired, not wireless. HD suffers otherwise) to the router downstairs. Had to run some cable under the carpet but it was worth it.

    Then upstairs the tv is only an SDTV and the xbox is connected wirelessly to the network.

    Current set up downstairs is:
    (Spoilered as pretty off topic!)
    IMG_0161.jpg

    I moved house recently, I don't know if you saw previously in another thread but I was living in a place with God Awful blue walls and pink carpet, I much prefer this.

    Money problems however meant I couldn't afford a decent tv cabinet (the other I used belonged to my old rented house) so the tv cabinet in the pic is actually the old coffee table I used to use with a hefty piece of wood underneath it to put all my bits and bobs on (rather than them running hot on the carpet). I actually rather like it!

    To the point, you can see, just about, the wires running behind the fireplace they've come down the stairs from the pc and plug in to the router which is actually just plonked underneath the tv cabinet out of sight.

    Stuff that NEEDS ventilation (360 and Wii) live on top. Macbook is sat there ready to be hooked up to play HD stuff :)

    If you're using an xbox then I HEARTILY recommend this little beauty I picked up:
    http://www.it247.com/Product/36-963279-0914/?channeltype=KVMCablesandAccessories&level1cat=Peripherals&keywords=36-963279-0914&prodid=36-963279-0914&level2cat=KeyboardsMiceandKVM&campaign=froogle|kvmcablesandaccessories|-&utm_medium=KVMCablesandAccessories
    (Logitech Wireless Xbox Pad. I got it £30 from Game. This is the only link I found quickly)

    Brilliantly comfortable, very much like the new 360 pad and if you're using it largely for Home Media setup then the batteries in it will last forever.

    Kinda offtopic:
    Man that makes me jealous. Very jealous. You're basically me + money. Stupid Phd, and super expensive london. I'm currently looking for a really cheap shuttle pc to act as a home for some external drives so I can get it linked up to my XBMC. Though, I'm not buying a copy of windows for it, so I'm going to have to struggle to get the XBMC to sit happy with Ubuntu.

    EDIT: Cheers for the controller link. I'll keep an eye out for that, though I do have the DVD remote

    I think it's quite significant, that whilst the current shit format war is going down with Blu-ray and HD-DVD there are so many more interesting developements. Like freeview PVRs, Sky+, iTVs. XBMCs, 360's HD downloads, and the YouTube-a-likes.

    Hell in a way, watching the latest daxflame nonsense on youtube on my TV via my Wii in many ways is far more significant step forward in home entertainment.

    I really believe they are acting like dinosaurs running around squabbling whilst a meteor heads their way.

    Lave II on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Heh, if you're wanting to move the off topic, I posted my new setup in the "computer space" thread :)

    My laptop is running ubuntu and the xbox is having no issues with it at all. I was half tempted to put a dual install on my desktop machine, if I do I'll let you know how it goes!

    I think here in the UK HD is taking MUCH longer to take off, and I partially think that's because 720p isn't THAT massive an improvement over the PAL standard we've had here for years.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »

    2. Shrek 2 (2004)
    3. Forrest Gump (1994)
    5. Transformers (2007) - (Steven Spielberg – Executive Producer)
    6. Shrek (2001) - (Steven Spielberg – Executive Producer)
    7. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    8. Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
    9. War of the Worlds (2005) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    11. Saving Private Ryan (1998) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    13. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    14. Madagascar (2005)
    16. Gladiator (2000)
    18. Mission: Impossible (1996)
    19. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - (Steven Spielberg – Director/Producer)
    20. Top Gun (1986)
    21. Crocodile Dundee (1986)
    23. Shark Tale (2004)
    29. Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
    31. Deep Impact (1998) - (Steven Spielberg – Executive Producer)
    32. The Godfather (1972)
    34. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
    35. American Beauty (1999)
    38. Coming to America (1988)
    39. The Truman Show (1998)
    41. The Hunt For Red October (1990)
    42. Wayne's World (1992)
    43. The Sum of All Fears (2002)
    46. Double Jeopardy (1999)
    47. The Addams Family (1991)
    48. Face/Off (1997)
    49. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
    50. Crocodile Dundee 2 (1988)

    There's a couple on there I might be interested in.

    Only a couple? All the ones listed are movies I'd pay to see again in Hi-Def.

    A few are arguable though...

    urahonky on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Which films on there would benefit from HD? Very few I imagine.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Which films on there would benefit from HD? Very few I imagine.

    No movie really "Benefits" from HD, it just makes it look better all around.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Heh, if you're wanting to move the off topic, I posted my new setup in the "computer space" thread :)
    ..snip..
    I think here in the UK HD is taking MUCH longer to take off, and I partially think that's because 720p isn't THAT massive an improvement over the PAL standard we've had here for years.

    See you there.

    And very true indeed. I saw a HDTV show room, and yeah it looked good, but pal looks good. I wasn't blown away. My main thought was "that TV is somewhat bigger than mine - and as such wouldn't fit that well in my flat."

    Lave II on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Which films on there would benefit from HD? Very few I imagine.

    No movie really "Benefits" from HD, it just makes it look better all around.

    Which computers benefit from displaying a resolution higher than 640 x 480? Why did we ever make the jump to color for that matter.

    I am just going to jump out there and say all films benefit from HD. It might be broad sweeping generalization but I feel comfortable putting it out there. Yup, all films.

    corin7 on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Which films on there would benefit from HD? Very few I imagine.

    No movie really "Benefits" from HD, it just makes it look better all around.

    Which computers benefit from displaying a resolution higher than 640 x 480? Why did we ever make the jump to color for that matter.

    I am just going to jump out there and say all films benefit from HD. It might be broad sweeping generalization but I feel comfortable putting it out there. Yup, all films.


    I'd disagree.

    VHS to DVD was quite a leap, but I wouldn't have re-bought ALL my VHS films on DVD if the tapes still worked on my new dvd player.

    It's not so much the quality of the tapes that's forced me to rebuy them, it's because my video recorder is now a clunky piece of hardware and I've resigned it to the bin. IF my vhs somehow magically squeezed in to the DVD slot of my dvd player and I could use it to play ALL my old tapes, then I wouldn't have re-bought a load of films, I would have been happy enough with the lower quality, as I'm sure quite a number of people would be.

    How many people are going to buy their films over again for the jump in quality, considering their existing discs are going to play just fine in their new fangled HD players. In fact they'll probably be upscaled too. Bonus there!

    I'm saying out of that list up there, I already own the ones I want by now on DVD and there's very few on said list that I'd re-buy just to see in a higher resolution. Going on the video game analogy, how many people whom owned an edition, of say, Quake that was limited to 640x480, would come back YEARS later and buy a new edition that allowed them to run it at 1024x768?

    For me, to re-buy (which would be the case for a lot of people with those films on that list) the film would have to benefit from the jump to HD.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Which films on there would benefit from HD? Very few I imagine.

    No movie really "Benefits" from HD, it just makes it look better all around.

    Which computers benefit from displaying a resolution higher than 640 x 480? Why did we ever make the jump to color for that matter.

    I am just going to jump out there and say all films benefit from HD. It might be broad sweeping generalization but I feel comfortable putting it out there. Yup, all films.


    I'd disagree.

    VHS to DVD was quite a leap, but I wouldn't have re-bought ALL my VHS films on DVD if the tapes still worked on my new dvd player.

    It's not so much the quality of the tapes that's forced me to rebuy them, it's because my video recorder is now a clunky piece of hardware and I've resigned it to the bin. IF my vhs somehow magically squeezed in to the DVD slot of my dvd player and I could use it to play ALL my old tapes, then I wouldn't have re-bought a load of films, I would have been happy enough with the lower quality, as I'm sure quite a number of people would be.

    How many people are going to buy their films over again for the jump in quality, considering their existing discs are going to play just fine in their new fangled HD players. In fact they'll probably be upscaled too. Bonus there!

    I'm saying out of that list up there, I already own the ones I want by now on DVD and there's very few on said list that I'd re-buy just to see in a higher resolution. Going on the video game analogy, how many people whom owned an edition, of say, Quake that was limited to 640x480, would come back YEARS later and buy a new edition that allowed them to run it at 1024x768?

    For me, to re-buy (which would be the case for a lot of people with those films on that list) the film would have to benefit from the jump to HD.

    You original post asked which films would actually benefit from hd. The answer is all films will. Whether or not you find it enough of a benefit to spend your hard earned money on is another issue entirely. I agree with you to some extent. To date I have only replaced one dvd and that was Serenity. I will probably replace a few more eventually. But new movies I only buy on HD, because it is better. Period.

    corin7 on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not gonna replace my dvd library, mostly because I realised what a waste it was. Such as the £20 for 3 eps of Neon Genesis on one dvd. But some stuff, i.e. Transformers I'd like to see in HD just because it SHOULD look absolutely fucktacular. Unfortunately Paramount just screwed me over by alligning itself with one group.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not gonna replace my dvd library, mostly because I realised what a waste it was. Such as the £20 for 3 eps of Neon Genesis on one dvd. But some stuff, i.e. Transformers I'd like to see in HD just because it SHOULD look absolutely fucktacular. Unfortunately Paramount just screwed me over by alligning itself with one group.

    Oh man, I bought the NGE series on DVD. It was expensively worth it. I can't imagine how it would look in HD though.

    Also: Transformers in HD? Yes please.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm not gonna replace my dvd library, mostly because I realised what a waste it was. Such as the £20 for 3 eps of Neon Genesis on one dvd. But some stuff, i.e. Transformers I'd like to see in HD just because it SHOULD look absolutely fucktacular. Unfortunately Paramount just screwed me over by alligning itself with one group.

    Oh man, I bought the NGE series on DVD. It was expensively worth it. I can't imagine how it would look in HD though.

    Also: Transformers in HD? Yes please.

    I also need to get a HDTV first.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm not gonna replace my dvd library, mostly because I realised what a waste it was. Such as the £20 for 3 eps of Neon Genesis on one dvd. But some stuff, i.e. Transformers I'd like to see in HD just because it SHOULD look absolutely fucktacular. Unfortunately Paramount just screwed me over by alligning itself with one group.

    Oh man, I bought the NGE series on DVD. It was expensively worth it. I can't imagine how it would look in HD though.

    Also: Transformers in HD? Yes please.

    I also need to get a HDTV first.

    They're getting cheaper and cheaper as time goes on. Hold off till you can buy that and a good HD movie (and player if you don't already own one) and you'll be a happy person.. till the first bill D:

    urahonky on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm not gonna replace my dvd library, mostly because I realised what a waste it was. Such as the £20 for 3 eps of Neon Genesis on one dvd. But some stuff, i.e. Transformers I'd like to see in HD just because it SHOULD look absolutely fucktacular. Unfortunately Paramount just screwed me over by alligning itself with one group.

    Oh man, I bought the NGE series on DVD. It was expensively worth it. I can't imagine how it would look in HD though.

    Also: Transformers in HD? Yes please.

    I also need to get a HDTV first.

    They're getting cheaper and cheaper as time goes on. Hold off till you can buy that and a good HD movie (and player if you don't already own one) and you'll be a happy person.. till the first bill D:

    I've got the PS3 and Casino Royale. I dont need a HDTV just yet though they do look amazing, plus you can get them for about 900 but ther eare still some for 4000. So there is a difference there that I can't see, but obviously 3000 pounds worth of difference. I'd rather wait till they stop screwing about and give a decent tv at a decent price.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Heh, if you're wanting to move the off topic, I posted my new setup in the "computer space" thread :)
    ..snip..
    I think here in the UK HD is taking MUCH longer to take off, and I partially think that's because 720p isn't THAT massive an improvement over the PAL standard we've had here for years.

    See you there.

    And very true indeed. I saw a HDTV show room, and yeah it looked good, but pal looks good. I wasn't blown away. My main thought was "that TV is somewhat bigger than mine - and as such wouldn't fit that well in my flat."

    I would say there was probably something wrong with the setup, or you're very cynical, I know shop floors even in high street specialists don't tend to setup their displays optimally. I honestly haven't had anyone not be blown away by the improvements when I've shown them stuff even on a 24" screen.

    Rook on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm not gonna replace my dvd library, mostly because I realised what a waste it was. Such as the £20 for 3 eps of Neon Genesis on one dvd. But some stuff, i.e. Transformers I'd like to see in HD just because it SHOULD look absolutely fucktacular. Unfortunately Paramount just screwed me over by alligning itself with one group.

    Oh man, I bought the NGE series on DVD. It was expensively worth it. I can't imagine how it would look in HD though.

    Also: Transformers in HD? Yes please.

    I also need to get a HDTV first.

    They're getting cheaper and cheaper as time goes on. Hold off till you can buy that and a good HD movie (and player if you don't already own one) and you'll be a happy person.. till the first bill D:

    I've got the PS3 and Casino Royale. I dont need a HDTV just yet though they do look amazing, plus you can get them for about 900 but ther eare still some for 4000. So there is a difference there that I can't see, but obviously 3000 pounds worth of difference. I'd rather wait till they stop screwing about and give a decent tv at a decent price.

    Important:

    Contrast Ratio (Higher the better)
    DLP vs LCD (Get DLP for gaming)
    Brightness (Higher the better)
    Brand

    Keep those in mind if you look at a few.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

    Important:

    Contrast Ratio (Higher the better)
    DLP vs LCD (Get DLP for gaming)
    Brightness (Higher the better)
    Brand

    Keep those in mind if you look at a few.

    DLP for gaming? Why is that? My LCD does gaming just fine. Honestly LCDs are cheap now. For $900 you can get a very good 32".

    corin7 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

    Important:

    Contrast Ratio (Higher the better)
    DLP vs LCD (Get DLP for gaming)
    Brightness (Higher the better)
    Brand

    Keep those in mind if you look at a few.

    DLP for gaming? Why is that? My LCD does gaming just fine. Honestly LCDs are cheap now. For $900 you can get a very good 32".

    DLP TVs tend to have a higher contrast ratio, making your blacks look a lot better. Makes for a sharper image which is usually better for gaming.

    I'm not saying LCD is crap, because if it's worth the price difference then you're golden. But the lower contrast ratio (and sometimes brightness) and the threat of burnt pixels often hound the LCD tv in the future.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

    Important:

    Contrast Ratio (Higher the better)
    DLP vs LCD (Get DLP for gaming)
    Brightness (Higher the better)
    Brand

    Keep those in mind if you look at a few.

    DLP for gaming? Why is that? My LCD does gaming just fine. Honestly LCDs are cheap now. For $900 you can get a very good 32".

    DLP TVs tend to have a higher contrast ratio, making your blacks look a lot better. Makes for a sharper image which is usually better for gaming.

    I'm not saying LCD is crap, because if it's worth the price difference then you're golden. But the lower contrast ratio (and sometimes brightness) and the threat of burnt pixels often hound the LCD tv in the future.

    I actually compared dlps and lcds when I bought mine. I think this is more of a personal preference thing vs a clear tech that is better for gaming. The contrast is just fine on my Samsung. Plus there is that whole hassle of changing bulbs in dlps.

    corin7 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

    Important:

    Contrast Ratio (Higher the better)
    DLP vs LCD (Get DLP for gaming)
    Brightness (Higher the better)
    Brand

    Keep those in mind if you look at a few.

    DLP for gaming? Why is that? My LCD does gaming just fine. Honestly LCDs are cheap now. For $900 you can get a very good 32".

    DLP TVs tend to have a higher contrast ratio, making your blacks look a lot better. Makes for a sharper image which is usually better for gaming.

    I'm not saying LCD is crap, because if it's worth the price difference then you're golden. But the lower contrast ratio (and sometimes brightness) and the threat of burnt pixels often hound the LCD tv in the future.

    I actually compared dlps and lcds when I bought mine. I think this is more of a personal preference thing vs a clear tech that is better for gaming. The contrast is just fine on my Samsung. Plus there is that whole hassle of changing bulbs in dlps.

    Samsung LCDs are different... because Samsung rocks the house when it comes to TV making. (I own a Samsung DLP TV)

    The bulb changing isn't that bad, and I've had my TV for 2 years and haven't had to replace it. Samsung comes with a 3 year warranty on their bulbs; And bulbs are pretty easy to install/purchase.

    I do see your point though.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    DLP TVs tend to have a higher contrast ratio, making your blacks look a lot better. Makes for a sharper image which is usually better for gaming.

    I'm not saying LCD is crap, because if it's worth the price difference then you're golden. But the lower contrast ratio (and sometimes brightness) and the threat of burnt pixels often hound the LCD tv in the future.

    Aye, LCDs have pretty bad black levels. It's nothing game breaking, but if you have the money to buy a DLP or something like that, you should. Every HD format has its pluses and minuses, you just have to weigh which ones are important to you (for example, I hate the size/weight of CRTs, even though they have the best picture).

    Me, I'm perfectly happy with my 32" Samsung LCD.

    Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    DLP TVs tend to have a higher contrast ratio, making your blacks look a lot better. Makes for a sharper image which is usually better for gaming.

    I'm not saying LCD is crap, because if it's worth the price difference then you're golden. But the lower contrast ratio (and sometimes brightness) and the threat of burnt pixels often hound the LCD tv in the future.

    Aye, LCDs have pretty bad black levels. It's nothing game breaking, but if you have the money to buy a DLP or something like that, you should. Every HD format has its pluses and minuses, you just have to weigh which ones are important to you (for example, I hate the size/weight of CRTs, even though they have the best picture).

    Me, I'm perfectly happy with my 32" Samsung LCD.

    Plasmas would be amazing, but the threat of burn-in and having to recharge it is way too much. Unless you can throw money around.

    urahonky on
Sign In or Register to comment.