As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fire Matches

DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm through looking like a pussy when I go to light up my smoke. I want to be the classy mother fucker that rips a stick on fire when asked if I have a light. I need the best match advice you guys can give me. I'm not interested in those shitty cardboard flip outs. I'm asking what fellow match users do. Can you get a cool pocket tin? What are your preferred matches? enlighten me (pun intended)

DekuStick on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »
    I'm through looking like a pussy when I go to light up my smoke. I want to be the classy mother fucker that rips a stick on fire when asked if I have a light.

People with class don’t smoke.

supabeast on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zippos are cooler than matches anyways, better than running out of matches. >_>

(I never used matches much when I smoked, only ever those stupid little flip books and I usually ended up burning myself. :P)

Aurin on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I'm not sure matches are the way to go. I don't smoke, but I live in Richmond, Va, the smoking capital of the world (maybe... we sure do have a lot of smokers and a huge Phillip Morris plant). Basically everyone I know smokes. None of them use matches.

If they want to look cool, they use a zippo. Otherwise they use whatever cheap ass bic they can get because they'll probably just lose it or a friend will walk off with it.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No one uses matches because it creates more litter and it has a higher likelihood of catching trash on fire if you dispose of the match properly. And yes, I've never seen anyone start a cig with a match. A grill maybe. If you're sick of looking like a pussy, stop using disposable bic lighters.

I don't smoke and I actually do have a store of matches around (for grilling, and because they don't generally get used for other purposes), and they're generally found at restaurants. But you'd have to then carry some squishable matches around that can't light when you necessarily need them. You can light a lighter if it gets wet. Good luck with matches.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For cigarettes, a Zippo would probably be equally (or more) classy, and more convenient.

Matches are popular for cigars, but of course you're going to want boxes of wooden matches, not those cheapass cardboard ones.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you really want to look 'classy' when lighting your smoke get a nice butane lighter. Zippos are all the rage in 'Merica but there are really nice butane lighters out there. I got a colibri double function for pipes and ciggs and I love it. Wood finish, chrome trim, easy to maintain, easy to fill, etc etc. Genuines can be had for $30-50 or so. Lot of fakes out there, watch out for that, and you have to know how to take care of a butane lighter. Before each refill you have to let the O2 build up out or you'll burn that bad boy out quickly. However, if you lose it you're going to be mega pissed. This doesn't happen with bics.

Shogun on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    diehard.gif

Uses a Zippo. To burn fools. That makes them very cool.

Matches are not cool anymore, because you can't light them on the stubble on your face (or, even better, the face of your opponent in the poker game you just walked up to without a word).

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A match trick got a friend of mine laid.
    Just sayin'

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno fellas, lighting it with a match can be pretty flashy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90tuXNnAQ4

There are two main types of matches: strike anywhere and safety. The safety ones need the special strip on the box to light, which as the video shows, can be cool. However, the real badassery lies with the strike anywhere matches, which light with sufficient friction on whatever surface, lending itself to very creative methods of striking.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, you can find strike-anywhere matches still, but I'm not sure where.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I have a personalized etched zippo but I'm growing tired of it.

Guess I'll be going for the strike anywheres.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why exactly did strike anywhere matches become unpopular? Were they too expensive or were they unsafe? If it's the latter, find out what exactly the safety issues are, and be safe with them.

I mean, everyone knows not to play with fire.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wikipedia wrote:
    Reformulation to remove white phosphorus
    The early matches, including the Noiseless match, were dangerous to both the users and the people making them. This was due to the use of white phosphorus.
    The search for a replacement for white phosphorus led to what was known as the safety match. However, this term is now confusing as it covers both the modern safety match and the modern strike anywhere match. These two different types of matches are discussed separately below.
    Both of these types of matches were more expensive to make than white phosphorus-based matches, and customers continued to buy white-phosphorus based matches. Laws prohibiting the use of white phosphorus in matches generally had to be passed before these safer types of matches came into widespread usage. Finland banned white-phosphorus based matches in 1872; Denmark in 1874; Sweden in 1879; Switzerland in 1881 and Netherlands in 1901.
    An agreement, the Berne Convention, was reached at Berne, Switzerland, in 1906 to prohibit the use of white phosphorus in matches. This required each country to pass laws prohibiting the use of white phosphorus in matches. Great Britain passed a law in 1908 prohibiting its use in matches after 31 December 1910. The United States did not pass a law, but instead placed a punitive tax on white-phosphorus based matches in 1913. India and Japan banned them in 1919; and China in 1925.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Strike-anywhere matches
    Two French chemists, Savene and Cahen, developed a safety match using phosphorus sesquisulfide. They proved that phosphorus sesquisulfide was not poisonous, that it could be used in a "strike anywhere" match and that the match heads were not explosive. They patented a safety match composition in 1898 based on phosphorus sesquisulfide and potassium chlorate. Albright and Wilson developed a safe means of making commercial quantities of phosphorus sesquisulfide in the United Kingdom in 1899 and started selling it to match makers.
    In 1901 Albright and Wilson started making phosphorus sesquisulfide at their Niagara Falls plant for the U.S. market, but American manufacturers continued to use white phosphorus based matches. The Niagara Falls plant stopped making it until 1910, when the United States Congress forbade the shipment of white phosphorus matches in interstate commerce. At the same time the largest producer of matches in the USA granted free use, in the USA, of its phosphorus sesquisulfide safety match patents. In 1913 Albright and Wilson also started making red phosphorus at Niagara Falls.
    Strike-anywhere matches are classed as dangerous goods, U.N. 1331, and are forbidden on aircraft.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Go with matches. They do look cooler.

Spend an hour or two in an empty bar with a few packs of those paper / restaurant matches and teach yourself to snap your fingers and have a lit match. If you can pull it off fluidly it looks pretty nifty. You palm the bars match book and wrap one match around it backwards so the head of the match is against the striking surface. Your thumb rests on the match head with your index finger behind the striking surface. Snap your fingers and drag the match head across the surface with your thumb. Do it fast enough and the match lights and blamo you are done.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Yeah I have a personalized etched zippo but I'm growing tired of it.

Guess I'll be going for the strike anywheres.
    These are bad ass and like 25-30 bucks IIRC. Got one for a girlfriends birthday.

Totally worth it.

Mmmm... Cocks... on