Options

Made in China....

2»

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that Americans are being groomed to hate China through subtle attacks by the media. First the toothpaste then the toys then the bad air over the Olympic stadium then the plane exploding - I haven't seen a positive story in the news about China in a looong time. The average Joe is developing an impression that China is incompetent and will harm us Americans through its incompetence. Is this spin or am I just being paranoid?

It's not spin if it's true. I mean really, as I said before, China is pretty fucked up.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The lasy time I heard anything positive about China on TV was when a Discovery Channel doc about China complimented the Bird Nest stadium about a year ago. Really, I haven't seen a blurb of good news about China in the evening news for months. It's all exploding planes and trapped Chinese miners.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that Americans are being groomed to hate China through subtle attacks by the media. First the toothpaste then the toys then the bad air over the Olympic stadium then the plane exploding - I haven't seen a positive story in the news about China in a looong time. The average Joe is developing an impression that China is incompetent and will harm us Americans through its incompetence. Is this spin or am I just being paranoid?

No, paranoid is when you watch people claiming that this is an intentional and nefarious plot to attack us biologically, rather than simple corruption and/or incompetence. Like how those pigs that tainted the spinach with e coli were actually freemasons.

Oh that's just silly, they'd never manage the handshake.

There've been positive articles here - a feature recently on the richest guy in China, who's made his fortune in solar energy, f'r instance. He mostly gets play because he went to uni here, though.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The lasy time I heard anything positive about China on TV was when a Discovery Channel doc about China complimented the Bird Nest stadium about a year ago. Really, I haven't seen a blurb of good news about China in the evening news for months. It's all exploding planes and trapped Chinese miners.

You should maybe not use TV for news then.

I see stuff about China all the time while researching diesel regulations and ethanol stuff for work.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that Americans are being groomed to hate China through subtle attacks by the media.

Hardly subtle. But while I'm tempted to agree, I just don't see who would benefit from it. Aside from having a scapegoat, what do the corporations that run this country gain from blowing the whistle on their own outsourced labor? Not to mention complicating their access to a market of over a billion potential customers, seeing as China would undoubtedly retaliate with their own protectionist policies.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Glyph wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that Americans are being groomed to hate China through subtle attacks by the media.

Hardly subtle. But while I'm tempted to agree, I just don't see who would benefit from it. Aside from having a scapegoat, what do the corporations that run this country gain from blowing the whistle on their own outsourced labor? Not to mention complicating their access to a market of over a billion potential customers, seeing as China would undoubtedly retaliate with their own protectionist policies.

Well, when China invades Taiwan and starts World War 3, America will have that extra bit of motivation to fight harder. ;-)

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Well, when China invades Taiwan and starts World War 3, America will have that extra bit of motivation to fight harder. ;-)

"support by United States ... is rather in the nature of the support that the rope gives to a hanged man."
    5 bits to anyone who guesses who said that and why...

There are either filming or going to film the next Survivor in China. I'm not sure, but I think the show still draws millions of people. With the Olympics and that, China has a real oppertunity to paint themselves a gorgeous picture to lots of folk. Americans are awesome at ignoring gild.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You're a stupid fuck with no understanding of the history between Taiwan, China, or the United States, or the economical binds between them that would send both China and the US into economic disaster if the two went to war.

Anyways, I think the Olympics will be a great thing for China. Not only for the tourism boost, of course, but also because you're forced to behave when the whole world is watching. After all, that's what happened when South Korea hosted the 1988 olympics.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    You're a stupid fuck with no understanding of the history between Taiwan, China, or the United States, or the economical binds between them that would send both China and the US into economic disaster if the two went to war.

I'm pretty sure he was kidding.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Holy shit, the comment was meant to be a light-hearted jab. No need to get offended.

emnmnme on