As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killer7

Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
chardan1.jpg

God damn this is a fine game. I lent it to my brother and he took it away for several months. I never did beat it, because I got stuck on a puzzle for a really stupid reason, but I finally got it back and have been playing it compulsively. It pushed me away from RE4. It's much more fun on deadly difficulty- some real "oh shit" moments, especially when the Smiles get way up close, only to be hit in the critical spot.

13.jpg

First and foremost, this game has the single best plot that I have ever seen in a game. Kojima, take notes. This is how you do postmodernism and transcend the game/player barrier.
"They change by use of television. I don't know how they do it, or who is ordering the switch." "Bullshit, I change all the time without a TV....Oh shit it's me ordering the change, with my TV!

killer7-guns.jpg

A lot of people complain about the gameplay, and I can certainly see where their reservations might be justified, but I personally am having a very good time with it. However, I wish that the game sold well enough to justify a Wii release. It's practically begging for it- the game is on rails, and based around trick shooting. It could be played with just the Wiimote.

A: Run
B: Fire
D pad down: Turn
D pad up (hold): Enter first-person
D pad right: Charge shot
D pad left: Ability
Wiimote: Aiming
Wiimote flick: Reload
Plus: Pause

Let's talk about this awesome game. If you haven't bought it, you can't go wrong for the 10-15 dollars it goes for now.

Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
Anonymous Robot on

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Great game, too much shit going on though.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It pushed me away from RE4.

This is perhaps one of the greatest games of the last generation, and anybody who doesn't get it, for whatever reason, needs to keep trying.

As for a Wii release, fuck this Wii-make shit. It's got a Wii release: the Gamecube version. Suda51 is working on a Wii sequel, not a goddamn Wiimake.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm only sorry I waited for the aforementioned pricedrop, but far as I'm concerned, this is a game that you get the Gamecube for(much like RE4; no coincedence, that).

It's good that the PS2 version got it (fractionally?) more attention, though it was made for the GC, and I think it shows.

I still need to try the new game + eventually.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I loved Killer7 to death, no matter how much it frustrated me.

I did get tired of "Fuck you" though.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Didn't that just add
    Playable Young Harman Smith
    ?

I didn't see the big deal.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Didn't that just add
    ?

I figure it's a good excuse to replay it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This is however one of the many games where it's fairly obvious that they ran out of money/time/whatever partway through. I mean, we got big background information on some of the characters (Dan, Mask, Garcian), and very little on some other very interesting characters (Kaede, Con, Coyote. Kaede especially.). And what the fuck was up with Kevin? Why was he even a character?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This is however one of the many games where it's fairly obvious that they ran out of money/time/whatever partway through. I mean, we got big background information on some of the characters (Dan, Mask, Garcian), and very little on some other very interesting characters (Kaede, Con, Coyote. Kaede especially.). And what the fuck was up with Kevin? Why was he even a character?

You're right here. I fucking hated Kevin. Useless character.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    fantastic game. its a shame i only got halfway through it before having to give it back to my friend. I've been trying to find another copy ever since but haven't been able to either because I can't seem to find it or not having money when I do. One day...one day...

Guek on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    damn fine game. Story was aces and Gameplay, while very simple, was actually pretty fun. It was very playable and didn't bore me. Visual style was the best I've ever seen. I'd rather look at something that artistic and visually pleasing than the ultra realism of Gears of War (not at all discrediting that it's amazing in its own right).

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

You're right here. I fucking hated Kevin. Useless character.

Kevin Smith tries to get himself into anything cool.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Didn't that just add
    ?

It is he who wields the
    chicago typewriter.
    Third time through and you get to
    play through the first level against a bunch of french guys with grasshopper hats on.
    I love the game but Coyote sucked especially in comparison to Dan. Only gripe.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I remember playing this sparsely for maybe a week when I first got it, and then coming back to it two years later and beating it in a two day straight playthrough. What an awesome experience that was. Fucking fantastic game, and a testament to the possibilities of this medium.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also it's got the best ending I've seen in a damn long time. Maybe better than SotC; I'm not sure.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I must say, I almost felt vertigo when playing from Garcian's height.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I used Kaede in every instance possible. There were some fights where other characters were required but I generally used only the Barefoot Assassin.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I recently finished this, and there was something I felt like I missed near the end.
    In the school level, Mask gets a new costume that makes him look like there should be an emotionally unstable 14 year-old piloting him, but no obvious new abilities that need to be used. The next event you need to use Mask for is the bit where 6 of the Killer 7 are killed by those Dark Smiles or whatever.
    I played around with Mask, and apparently he doesn't need to reload any more after that upgrade, but it still seems like a thread that was left hanging.

I really wish I could have found the Gamecube version, I almost went mad looking at the loading screens on PS2.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would love be able to use Wii Remote aiming for this. After playing RE4:WE, it's a little tough and extremely clunky to go back to control stick aiming. Had the same problem with GUN after using Wii aiming.

Also, Suda 51 is not making a sequel to Killer 7. He's making a completely different game with no ties to Killer 7 other than the art style. No More Heroes looks fucking badass, though.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Jandaru wrote: »
    So I recently finished this, and there was something I felt like I missed near the end.
    In the school level, Mask gets a new costume that makes him look like there should be an emotionally unstable 14 year-old piloting him, but no obvious new abilities that need to be used. The next event you need to use Mask for is the bit where 6 of the Killer 7 are killed by those Dark Smiles or whatever.
    I played around with Mask, and apparently he doesn't need to reload any more after that upgrade, but it still seems like a thread that was left hanging.

I really wish I could have found the Gamecube version, I almost went mad looking at the loading screens on PS2.
    Something about Mask becoming as powerful as he could possibly be, and the Dark Smiles still killed the shit out of him.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Con is my favourite <3

Kevin's invisibility is actually pretty useful, especially on the harder difficulties.

I always thought Killer 7 would make such an awesome film. Not as a straight forward action flick, but more like Hero. Breathtaking visuals set around a series of 'boss fights' with one of the Killer 7 facing off against one of the major players in the bad camp. Each fight having a unique visual style and direction.

Imagine Con going up against Ayame Blackburn in Curtis' house. That fight in the garage where the lights are out and the blinds are opening and closing occasionally, so you catch black and white glimpses of them darting around. And the Dan vs Curtis face off would be incredibly tense.

Also, Killer 7 vs Handsome Men.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ARAME BRACKABURNA

suttbecks on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, Suda 51 is not making a sequel to Killer 7. He's making a completely different game with no ties to Killer 7 other than the art style. No More Heroes looks fucking badass, though.

I dunno, Travis Touchdown looks a good bit like the Travis in K7, and with the whole assassins plot thing, I'd be very surprised if the Smiths didn't at least make a cameo. I'm betting the stories are loosely tied somehow.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I seem to remember him saying they weren't linked in an interview. It would be a safe bet for a Killer 7 cameo though, maybe on the collectable T-shirts or something.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have been trying for a very, very long time to get a wav or mp3 of Coyote saying "You're... fucked" (the one that plays when he criticals). I want it for my critical stop sound on my computers.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love this game.

And I am going to have to disagree and say that this would merit a Wii Edition, but it shouldn't be a straight port. Basically, the game was actually released was a completely cut down and shortened version of Suda 51's original concept, since the developer decided it would be to expensive for such a niche game (they were probably right). That is the story ennumerated upon in Hand in Killer 7, which contradicts the actual game events in several departments.

A director's cut remade with Wii controls (which the game seems like it was made for in the first place) would be keen.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I just realized- Dan gets 12 shots with his revolver?

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You may be thinking of the Demon Gun, which has 12 chambers. I'm unsure about the Colt Python.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zampano wrote: »
    You may be thinking of the Demon Gun, which has 12 chambers. I'm unsure about the Colt Python.

You're right, that's it.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll be back later with more, but for now suffice it to say that I absolutely loved Killer7 start to finish.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Killer 7 is the first game, and one of the only games I've ever played purely for the story. When Tycho speaks of Bioshock's "rich narrative", I feel that it applies to Killer 7 as well. It was convoluted and circuitous, but I could not help but to thirst after what would come next. And even after the final resolution, the story keeps going as I unwind what exactally happened, like a video game version of House of Leaves.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jandaru wrote: »

He gains a new special attack that uses more blood. If I remember correctly, it's a bunch of rockets (lasers?) that converge on the spot you fire at.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    He turns into the Guyver and is able to shoot missles and lasers out of his nipples leveling what ever it hits. When he did that the first time all I did was blink and think WTF?

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Mask was truly a fucking awesome character, with one of the best quote of all time.
    Children are pure, they know who's the strongest.

It's a shame that he sucks untill you get his 2nd upgrade, then he's just broken.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wrote this a year or so ago over on the ArsTechnica forums. While I'm not hugely fond of this post anymore, it still gets the points across that I want to make. In the year since I wrote it my writing's gotten a lot better, but it still sums up my thoughts on the game quite nicely.

Different games are memorable for different reasons. Some, such as Tetris, have utterly compelling gameplay that gets over their simplicity in other areas. Why are you clearing lines? Where do they go? Who's sending these pieces at you? It doesn't matter. It's all about stacking tetrads and clearing lines, and the other questions do not and should not occur to you. Conversely, some games, despite having far less gameplay by any measure, still manage to make an indelible mark on your memory. If you've played them, you can't forget them. Killer7 is such a game.

The basic idea is that you are Harman Smith: a crippled old man and one of the world's deadliest assassins. At your disposal you have the Killer7. The Killer7 are, essentially, various personalities of Harman Smith. However, unlike most people with multiple personalities, Harman is actually able to physically manifest these 'personas'&#157; into real beings that can interact with the world and its inhabitants. There are seven of these personas, hence the organization's name, and they each have their own unique characteristics, weaponry, and skill sets. Set against Harman is Kun Lan, a terrorist who is able to create the 'Heaven Smiles,'&#157; people who have been converted into living weapons. Grinning and laughing they approach their target, then explode, taking their own lives to achieve their objective. Harman and the Killer7 have been hired to stop the Heaven's Smiles.

In terms of gameplay, Killer7 plays something like Myst meets House of the Dead. Hold "A" to make your character run forward; tap "B" to make him turn around 180°. If you come to a junction where there are multiple routes/items to interact with, the screen "shatters" into shards of glass. Tilt the analog stick in the direction of the shard you wish to select, hit "A" again, and keep moving. At any time you can hold the "R" trigger to go into first-person aiming mode, and in some areas you can hit the "Y" button to use your character's special power. Oh, and since enemies are, by default, invisible; while in first-person mode hit the "L" trigger to scan the environment and reveal any enemies in the vicinity. They laugh to let you know they're there, so that's your cue to blow the hell out of them. And blow the hell out of them you do. Combat is brutal, intense, and violent. Enemies can have their limbs shot off, and bleed profusely when you do. When you kill them, they geyser blood, unless you hit their weak spot, in which case they simply explode into an explosion thereof. If they reach you before you shoot them down your character will eventually die, leaving only a bloody head in a paper bag for Garcian Smith, the "cleaner," to reclaim and restore to life.

That said, talking about Killer7's gameplay is only slightly more relevant than talking about Tetris' plot. It's a game, so gameplay is important, but in Killer7 it's a means to an end as opposed to the end itself. Killer7 is all about the experience, and everything else, including the wonky control scheme, serves to further this goal. Everything about Killer7 screams "art piece," yet the game never loses a sly self-awareness that keeps it interesting. The end boss encounter of mission 04 is particularly revealing of this viewpoint. You keep playing through a scenario with only one possible outcome because you have to, and the game actually points out the incongruity to you, going so far as to even overtly laugh in your face.

In the end, this is a game that is stripped to its bare essentials. There's no fat and no excess present. The controls are simple because you don't need to get lost. The game takes you everywhere you need to get through the level, and if there's something important it gets pointed out. Even when you don't know where you're going (which happens frequently) your character does, keeping the game's momentum moving. In addition, the disconnect between total control of your character and their actions (that is you give them a course and they run along it, as opposed to controlling every step they make directly) enhances the feeling that you're not the characters, but instead merely projecting Harman's control over them. You're not the character per se, but rather they're an extension of you that can be directed but retain some degree of autonomy. Run time is a respectable 15 hours or so, which is the perfect length. The gameplay lacks enough depth to create a 30 hour epic mess, but the story is compelling enough and the environments have enough variety that the game doesn't outwear its welcome before ending.

The game starts off slow. The first level begins with a cursory opening video that doesn't explain much of what's going on, then thrusts you into the game world with nary a chance to get oriented. There's a brief tutorial explaining the controls, but it's woefully inadequate to get you truly comfortable with them. That comes only with time. The end result is to put the player in a truly overwhelming situation that has them totally disoriented. The game explains little to nothing of what's going on, the player is trying to come to grips with a simple but unfamiliar control scheme, and around every corner another person is being killed before your eyes. Once you clear the opening prologue (which ends in a fantastic confrontation I might add), the meat of the game opens itself. There's a lengthy and well done cutscene that establishes the setting, main characters, and overall plot, and the design of the second level is far more straightforward and much easier to navigate. By this time you're also getting used to the controls and learning how to switch between the personas at will/as needed to accomplish your goals and the game is starting to come together. The odd cel-shaded graphics don't seem as strange. The plot, while still seemingly nonsensical has a certain strange internal coherency to it that overshadows the ridiculousness of it all. The puzzles that lake any rationality to their very existence seem somewhat fitting.

That's the biggest aspect that makes Killer7 work I think. Even when the game is intentionally and knowingly winking at you, pointing out its own absurdities, it nonetheless maintains an internal consistency that never escapes from itself. Because of this you never get pulled out of the world the game has created, you only keep moving to try and figure out what comes next.

And what a task that is. I've played mind-bending games. I've played games with highly sophisticated and well thought out plots. But Killer7 is a head-trip like no other. For those who have seen it, I'd compare it to Mulholland Dr. on a number of levels. The plots themselves are nothing alike, but similarities exist. Both have a surreal atmosphere where things don't quite line up, The plot of Killer7 is dense and meandering, often taking side-detours whose purpose comes into focus only on repeat play-throughs and even then only if you're very perceptive or get some sort of guide explaining the ore obscure plot elements. It does make sense though, and most of it can be understood with a little bit of thought. It also helps to understand how the various levels are interconnected. Missions 00, 05, and 06 are connected, as are 01 and 02. 03 and 04 are more free standing, but make sense within their own part of the game. 04's discussion of control is particularly relevant to the game as a whole. It has little to do with the plot itself, but as key to understanding the game and what the overall point of things is, it's essential; especially the brilliant boss battle at the end. As the game reveals more and more of its plot points you also realize that the 'M'&#157; rating actually truly stands for mature. Sure there's plenty of gratuitous stuff, especially the constant and overly done swearing (voice-overs for critical-hit kills is a good idea, a single line that gets repeated hundreds of times throughout the game not so much), but the game touches on many topics that are quite disturbing. Among the issues at hand it hits international politics, questions of national sovereignty, orphan trafficking, organ trafficking (these last two at the same time), sexual abuse, incest, cannibalism, and many others. None of these are overly dramatized, but they are present, and are alternately disturbing (Curtis Blackburn's mission) or hilarious (Suzy's monologues about her various acts of extreme violence).

An additional note has to be made of the brilliant ending to the game. Most games end on a flat note with a final boss that's either too hard or too easy, followed by a half-ass cutscene that does a mediocre job of wrapping up the main plot points (which leaving everything else forgotten). Killer7 does not fall in this trap. Mission 05 has a brilliant sense of dread the builds throughout its entire first half before cutting off abruptly and without warning. It then goes in a new direction that explains many things but has little to do with the first half and has much more in common with the rest of the game in terms of feel and tone. And then everything gets thrown back on itself; the entire game collapses and reforms in a way that makes you rethink everything that's come before, and creates a brilliant main ending to the game and closes its main characters wonderfully. Had it ended there, things would have been good enough. But then the game tosses you the brief Mission 06, which is by far the shortest mission in the game but adds an additional layer that does a masterful job of wrapping up not only the personal issues left over from 05 but also the international ones from the rest of the game. I don't want to get too specific at this point in the thread, but suffice it to say it may be the best ending to a game ever. Truly a masterwork.

In the end, to me, that's what Killer7 is about. There are plenty of games with better gameplay. There are plenty with better controls. But there are very few that have stuck with me in the way that Killer7 did. Killer7 is an experience, and one where everything comes together to be far more than the sum of its constituent parts. The controls work to the betterment of this game (and probably this game only). The plot is a head-trip but makes sense overall in hindsight. The graphical style is unique and gorgeous, and animations are well done. Sound effects have meat to them, and the voice acting is excellent throughout (Harman is particularly impressive: 'Good night little girl, it's past your bed time'&#157;). Everything fits together perfectly. It's not a game I'd recommend everyone own, but it is a game that everyone should play. If you enjoy it, pick it up, as the unlockable very hard mode adds a nice incentive to replay the game, and subsequent replays are made much easier by the fact that you can go back through earlier levels with your now fully powered-up characters. The various plot elements also make subsequent runs very rewarding and allow you to understand more and more of what's going on. It's not the best game ever made, but it's utterly unsuited for any other medium (the interactivity of a game is necessary for some of the parts to come across adequately), but it is a fascinating one, and in terms of experience and what sticks with you once the final credits have rolled, very few others come close. As long as you can adapt to the unusual controls and don't mind thinking a bit about the plot, I can recommend the game with no reservations whatsoever.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    After hearing a lot about this game's plot, I picked it up early this year and was sorely disappointed. It's ridiculous and filled to the brim with teenage anime junk. The concept itself is really intriguing, but instead of being a mature and thought-provoking horror / thriller, it's an exercise in convoluted nonsense and ludicrous plot points.

Thello on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thello wrote: »
    After hearing a lot about this game's plot, I picked it up early this year and was sorely disappointed. It's ridiculous and filled to the brim with teenage anime junk. The concept itself is really intriguing, but instead of being a mature and thought-provoking horror / thriller, it's an exercise in convoluted nonsense and ludicrous plot points.

See, I thought that it was through the hyperbole presented by the cliche situations like the Handsome Men that the plot really came across; yes it was satire, but its message was still there. It wasn't plainly, hit-you-in-the-face obvious, but if you cared to read into it, it was pretty easy to discern.

That and, walking bombs exploding into nothing but blood.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I honestly think the gameplay was a welcome addition to a rail-style game. So many people thought it was too different to be good yet I found excellence in its simplicity. It was able to tell an amazing story with some fun gameplay. My personal favorite characters were dan and Keaeda.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    j3rkf4c3j3rkf4c3 Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    One of the best games evar... seriously.. those who hate on this game probably aren't down with Pokaroo either....

Sad days...

j3rkf4c3 on
  • Options
    j3rkf4c3j3rkf4c3 Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    For Reals son, I played the hell out of this mutha... I think the best part is really the last level.. ties it all together.. its one of the few cube games I've held onto in all this Wii madness

j3rkf4c3 on
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    j3rkf4c3 wrote: »
    those who hate on this game probably aren't down with Pokaroo either....
    What?

Thello on