As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just out of curiosity - anyone else went through a 'Japan-only' phase?

1235»

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Eva comic is really, really, good, and I hate the TV version with every fibre of my existence.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I don't mean that conservatives are racist. I meant someone who assumes that how things are now is somehow good. In this situation I mean - 'You're not Japanese, so you didn't grow up liking Japanese stuff, so you shouldn't start.'

I wasn't talking about racism at all. Nor was I talking about members of the Conservative party, the US Republican party or anything at all. There are plenty of left-wing conservatives.

My point was to consider your wording more carefully, because whether you meant them or not, your wording had a whole load of implications to it.

No it didn't

Damn, you've got me there. I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME INSPECTOR GADGET FOR REALZ.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No, I was ALWAYS into both japanese and western comics. I prefer japanese animation for the most part, but there are some entertaining western shows too. Cartoon Network makes great stuff and Avatar rocks.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what? I read maybe the first page of this thread so pardon me if I missed something but...

I've always wondered why this forum had strictly western comics. It's like there's some unspoken rule that you can't mention manga. Is everyone just scared that they'll be ostracized or something?

The whole "anime/manga" thing shouldn't be a "phase". You shouldn't have to grow out of it. You are not a better man for just reading western comics. It's not a bad thing. In fact, you're missing out on a lot of great art and great stories.

<edit> And yes, japanese animation is far better than western, in my opinion. But then again, we're talking about graphic novels here.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    You know what? I read maybe the first page of this thread so pardon me if I missed something but...

I've always wondered why this forum had strictly western comics. It's like there's some unspoken rule that you can't mention manga. Is everyone just scared that they'll be ostracized or something?

The whole "anime/manga" thing shouldn't be a "phase". You shouldn't have to grow out of it. You are not a better man for just reading western comics. It's not a bad thing. In fact, you're missing out on a lot of great art and great stories.

<edit> And yes, japanese animation is far better than western, in my opinion. But then again, we're talking about graphic novels here.

There's an anime thread in DnD.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yes. But we're talking about graphic novels here. Manga and whatnought.

TheBog on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't think anyone would care if someone discussed manga, it's just that nobody's really taken the initiative, and most of us don't read it, so there wouldn't be a lot of discussion. I know I wouldn't care if someone talked about other foreign comics like Blacksad, Dungeon/Donjon, or 2000 A.D., it's just that those comics make up a pretty small fraction of the mainstream American comic scene.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Manga sure seems like mainstream to me. It's blowing up all over the place, and rightfully so. Just seems like nobody here gives a crap, which saddens me, but explains things I guess..

TheBog on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's because all the titles that are responsible for manga's "blowing up" are utter shit.

A lot of great manga goes unpublished in the US, or it gets published and no one buys it.

I feel like vomiting when I find out Naruto is a top seller every month, while awesome stuff like Planetes goes unnoticed by most.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Truf.

TheBog on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really don't blame a lot of people for not getting into manga, given the current state of the industry. People like me who got interested back when manga were rare and only the most popular series got translated were sort of underground fans, and the community was a lot tighter back then. Now that every little series is getting translated, and the manga industry seems to assume that all manga fans are goth lolis and Narutards, and the manga aisle at every bookstore is filled with anime DVDs and wallscrolls and headbands, everyone sees manga as childish and a little bit perverse. Hell, even I feel ashamed to walk down the manga aisle.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    But the Naruto manga is totally awesome, and that's why kids love it. I will internet fight anyone who says otherwise.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's the key word, right there

Kids

Naruto is a manga meant for young boys.

I fucking loved DBZ when I was 12

not so much now (although I admire Toriyama and what he did, even if everything after Frieza was uninspired crap)

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There are so some good mangas. Is that a word? Blade of the Immortal was pretty awesome, back when I used to read it. I have not read it in a long time though, probably about 5 years. I see that it is now releasing single issues on a monthly basis. That it is interesting... Lone Wolf and Cub is maybe the greatest thing ever. Blame is pretty cool. Biomega is kickass.

The problem with manga is very nearly every person who reads it reads a few titles and does not like anything else. So that makes it hard to have discussions.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't really have a hate/love of manga. I just read what I enjoy. Some of it happens to be manga...

Mostly the JoJo's Bizzare Adventure stuff that my friend's really obsessed with.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Do you love JJBA, or hate it?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love Lone Wolf and Cub, all 28 books sit at the top of my comic shelf. I tried reading Samurai Executioner afterwards, but couldn't because the main character looked exactly like the main character from LW&C. I know the artist can portray different images easily, his books are full of interesting looking characters, but I couldn't read Executioner without imagining Ogami Itto. It's like when they used Lee Marvin for completely opposite roles in A Fistful of Dollars and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I just couldn't get into it. I also really dig Azumanga Daioh, Crayon Shinchan, as well as the art of Osamu Tezuka.

It's hard to get into it, as I can't pick up a random manga and give it a shot because there is like a 90% chance that it'll suck, and I can't trust other people's opinions on it, because most manga that's considered good, i consider shit.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think there is a manga that follows Daigoro. I would totally buy all of that. (After I try the first one)
    Dark Horse announced at the New York Comic Con that they have licensed Shin Lone Wolf & Cub, Kazuo Koike and Hideki Mori's follow-up to Lone Wolf and Cub, starring the famous child in the baby cart after the original revenge epic.

The release name for the series, which might be New Lone Wolf and Cub, and format, whether it will be released in the 6.0" x 4.3" dimension of the original Lone Wolf and Cub, are still being considered. Hideki Mori takes up the job of illustrating the epic from the late Goseki Kojima. Mori employs an art style and vigorous, organic brushwork which is strongly reminiscent of Kojima's, but he brings his own individuality to the task.
    Koike begins the new "Lone Wolf and Cub" manga right where the original ended, with Daigoro amidst the aftermath of his father's revenge. A mysterious samurai appears at the seashore and forms a new bond with the boy.
    (wiki)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's rad, I'd totally dig it. However, you might want to spoiler your post
    just in case anyone reading doesn't know that Daigoro survives.

ManonvonSuperock on