As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    These are great videos, but don't we already have a thread about this guy? Search didn't turn up anything for me, though.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    These are great videos, but don't we already have a thread about this guy? Search didn't turn up anything for me, though.

I made that thread. I'd figure I'd just use this one to show off everything and update it weekly. ;-)

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »

I made that thread. I'd figure I'd just use this one to show off everything and update it weekly. ;-)
    I just realized you made that one when I found it a little too late.

He's seriously great, though. Much better use of GooTube than most other nerd-centric stuff I've seen. I don't know why, but his accent really makes it for me, especially with the way he rushes through the review.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    He is indeed excellent. And his adventure games aren't half bad either.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So on to the game itself, and I've played it (you crippled me for NOTHING Zero!). It does have some good humour, but like he said, it's got a fair amount of flaws. Most irritating to me was the freaking Milkman level. Sure it was funny, but every other turn was a sudden pitfall and half the times I left a house I got arrested because I wasn't holding the same implement coming out that I had going in (that was a really dumb design decision. SOMEONE must have playtested and noticed that you go into a house, grab the item, and then it becomes automatically equipped).

The Fish / Godzilla level was genius though.

subedii on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I picked up Psychonauts for PC for $4 yesterday at Big Lots.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had no idea what the fuck this was...

Until I clicked on that Heavenly Sword / RE5 thing.

Good Lord I'm glad I did! That was awesome!

Thank you for making this thread.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OW! that hurt!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I did that thing with a ruler and it wasn't thick enough to
    hurt me :D

peterdevore on
  • Options
    ThrymThrym Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    seriously, best reviews ever

Thrym on
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I bought Psychonauts on release, but did it before he told me not to! I feel betrayed!

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I borrowed Psychonauts from a friend. Should I have still done the pen thing or should I have done it even harder?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I borrowed Psychonauts from a friend. Should I have still done the pen thing or should I have done it even harder?

Harder, because you didn't pay for your enjoyment.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, this guy is like Charlie Brooker on speed.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DeMoN wrote: »

Harder, because you didn't pay for your enjoyment.

:(

Now I can't type right.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    So on to the game itself, and I've played it (you crippled me for NOTHING Zero!). It does have some good humour, but like he said, it's got a fair amount of flaws. Most irritating to me was the freaking Milkman level. Sure it was funny, but every other turn was a sudden pitfall and half the times I left a house I got arrested because I wasn't holding the same implement coming out that I had going in (that was a really dumb design decision. SOMEONE must have playtested and noticed that you go into a house, grab the item, and then it becomes automatically equipped).

Thats why you don't actually have to go inside a protected house to beat the level, only 100% completers need to go in, and if you really are trying to get 100% you don't get the point of the game, they have cheats for that.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I like people, so I don't think.
    BUT PLAY IT!!
    NOW!!
    NO, GO AND PLAY IT AND FINISH IT, ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For being so visually funky, Psychonauts sure has standard gameplay mechanics. I didn't find it all that funny, either.

But he was right that each character, important or otherwise, had good character. Everyone was recognizable.

Renzo on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There is nothing fun about collecting 5 bajillion PSI arrow heads with that shitty detector.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    There is nothing fun about collecting 5 bajillion PSI arrow heads with that shitty detector.

As I remember you only needed, I think, 800. And only took like 15 minutes.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i love his reviews, wish he'd do more

Zarcath on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Those reviews are absolutely bloody brilliant.

reVerse on
  • Options
    AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, go ahead and blame the potential customer for not buying it.

(Or maybe make a demo that isn't a steaming pile of horse shit. Seriously, the Psychonauts demo makes the Bioshock limited edition soundtrack CD look good.)

Abels on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, this guy could talk me into anything

anything

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Abels wrote: »

(Or maybe make a demo that isn't a steaming pile of horse shit. Seriously, the Psychonauts demo makes the Bioshock limited edition soundtrack CD look good.)

O_o Really? The demo is the one and only reason why I bought the game. I knew nothing of it until the demo, then it became an instant purchase for me.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    subedii wrote: »

Thats why you don't actually have to go inside a protected house to beat the level, only 100% completers need to go in

1. I didn't know that beforehand and

2. That still doesn't change the nature of the design decision. It was still irritating.

subedii on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    i love his reviews, wish he'd do more

He will. His first couple landed him his job, and now he gets to do them every week.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love him. *SWOOON*

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really love Psyconauts and all, but I don't think it's fair to mock people who simply don't like that sort of game. I think it is one of the funniest, most well designed and overall awesome games ever but I know a lot of people in my circle of freinds who just didn't 'get' this game, it simply wasn't to their taste.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    This guy is great. thanks for the heads up on the videos, I've never actually looked through the Escapist website, but now that I've watched that video, I'm even more intrigued.

eric. on
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    this man is fucking hysterical. I want more of this immediately. I want him to review current gen games though, like the one he did about Heavenly Sword.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So here I am enjoying these videos when my desktop makes a loud scratching sound and shuts off... Iboot it up and it says: "Hey Windows/System32 is corrupt, put in the windows xp disc and try to repair!" so I did. When I put in the FUCKING disk... It goes straight into a blue screen of death saying "Page fault error... Your fucking hard drive is fucking busted dude... lawls buy windows again!"

Excuse me...

Excuse me while I go fucking kill some babies.

OT:

Funny movies.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really love Psyconauts and all, but I don't think it's fair to mock people who simply don't like that sort of game. I think it is one of the funniest, most well designed and overall awesome games ever but I know a lot of people in my circle of freinds who just didn't 'get' this game, it simply wasn't to their taste.

Well we could say that about any game. My best friend played the Bioshock demo at my bequest. "It's just like Halo but worse. I'll wait for Halo 3 thanks." Which resulted in this from me: O_o

But the fact that it is good enough to polarise makes me happy, on hindsight, just like Psychonauts can do. It means that, for a group of people, it is a very special game, because it pushes the boundaries or targets them specifically. If we want a video game landscape of grey/brown Generic Shooter 7s, then that's what we will get if we don't champion games that do elicit that response from us, whether other people like it or not. Shadow of the Colossus is the same way, all of my friends hate it. I think it's the best game ever made.

It's the same with other media, I love Lost In Translation. I think it has a perfectly written subtext in every scene, and it's a movie that doesn't batter you over the head with a narrative. Again, all my friends think it is a movie where "nothing happened", whereas I think it's a movie where everything important to life happened.

So we need to keep telling people that Psychonauts is excellent, whether they like it or not, lest we make the gaming landscape homogenous junk.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I finally figured out where I know this guy from. I think he was in the ZZT/MegaZeux scene way back in the day. The name Ben Croshaw is familiar, and I know for a fact there was a guy that hung around channel #megazeux or maybe #darkdigital who used the handle, "yahtzee".

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Oh c'mon, it's all in good humor.

The guy is making fun of both the "games are art hippies" as well as the "halo fans that can't go 45 seconds without shooting something"

slash000 on
  • Options
    ThrymThrym Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Ok, mr. voice of reason

Thrym on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I finally figured out where I know this guy from. I think he was in the ZZT/MegaZeux scene way back in the day. The name Ben Croshaw is familiar, and I know for a fact there was a guy that hung around channel #megazeux or maybe #darkdigital who used the handle, "yahtzee".

Oh my god

I think you're right

holy shit, I spent way too much time on mzx in my teens

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

O_o Really? The demo is the one and only reason why I bought the game. I knew nothing of it until the demo, then it became an instant purchase for me.

O_o Really? Half of the demo was boring cutscenes, and the other half was boring training.

Abels on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

O_o Really? Half of the demo was boring cutscenes, and the other half was boring training.

That does describe a good half of the game though...Psychonauts is a good game, but a terribly overrated and overidolized one. It has tapped into a certain feeling that I like to call the James Dean effect. Something destined to be idolized because it was cut down in its prime, much like the Dreamcast. The fact that this game didn't get "a fair shake" makes people fanatic about it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Psychonauts is awesome. I never got around to buying it, but after it came to Gametap I was all over it. Definitely worth a playthrough.

Also an awesome review.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.