Options

Zero Punctuation: Can you feel the Internet Rage?

• Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    And his adventure games aren't half bad either.

This is true. I just finished 5 Days a Stranger and I think I'll play the rest of the series this weekend.

I miss point and click adventures. :(

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played through the demo a while back. I was all like, this is a great game! People at PA like it!

Then about halfway through, not so much. You know that place in the level where you swing up a plinko wall with flamethrowers? And, at the top, how the bricks are a slightly different color? I didn't notice that. I didn't even remember I could punch. I was all like, "Hey! Derbies floating in midair to the left! Looks tricky. I can do this."

Yeah, you can't actually get anywhere by jumping around between the chunks of rock floating in mid air. I did make it remarkably far out before realizing that I'd died way too many times in the first level for this to be the right route to take.

Frem on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have to say, I'm a little surprised he had so much trouble with the Darkness demo. There are some things I don't like about the demo (they do kinda leave you hanging on what to do and how), but it was not that difficult to figure out how to get through the early parts. Finding the can of fuel in an area off to the side without directions and in the dark was pretty bothersome, but fuck, he didn't even get there.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm a little surprised he had so much trouble with the Darkness demo. There are some things I don't like about the demo (they do kinda leave you hanging on what to do and how), but it was not that difficult to figure out how to get through the early parts. Finding the can of fuel in an area off to the side without directions and in the dark was pretty bothersome, but fuck, he didn't even get there.
    I actually sort of wonder if he did finish the demo, but just makes up a scenario to be snarky about. I mean, if he really enjoyed it, how would he be so hilarious?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    for me, it's the speed of delivery that makes it funny. You have to catch up to the jokes and match them to the illustrations, usually long after it's been and gone, and you're on to the next shot. Good work, this guy.

I also need to remember to watch this one when i'm at a pc with sound.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    I really love Psyconauts and all, but I don't think it's fair to mock people who simply don't like that sort of game. I think it is one of the funniest, most well designed and overall awesome games ever but I know a lot of people in my circle of freinds who just didn't 'get' this game, it simply wasn't to their taste.

Well we could say that about any game. My best friend played the Bioshock demo at my bequest. "It's just like Halo but worse. I'll wait for Halo 3 thanks." Which resulted in this from me: O_o

But the fact that it is good enough to polarise makes me happy, on hindsight, just like Psychonauts can do. It means that, for a group of people, it is a very special game, because it pushes the boundaries or targets them specifically. If we want a video game landscape of grey/brown Generic Shooter 7s, then that's what we will get if we don't champion games that do elicit that response from us, whether other people like it or not. Shadow of the Colossus is the same way, all of my friends hate it. I think it's the best game ever made.

It's the same with other media, I love Lost In Translation. I think it has a perfectly written subtext in every scene, and it's a movie that doesn't batter you over the head with a narrative. Again, all my friends think it is a movie where "nothing happened", whereas I think it's a movie where everything important to life happened.

So we need to keep telling people that Psychonauts is excellent, whether they like it or not, lest we make the gaming landscape homogenous junk.
    Speaking of Lost in Translation, I recommended the movie to my folks and had this exact same discussion with them. They both hated it and thought it to be boring :|

Regarding Psychonauts, I've been trying my best to find the game for my XBox here in Euroland, but I'm failing miserably (unless you think finding a completely German version of the game is something to be excited about).
    So I've resorted to 'other ways' to be able to play it on my XBox (my PC is like 8 years old, so yeah...)
    I'm currently still stuck on the Milkman level and too busy playing Destroy All Humans 2 to progress any further.

If I ever do come across it, I'm still definitely picking it up, though.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I couldn't get into Psychonauts. It was well-written and well-voiced, and I loved the 'emotional baggage' (they're so adorable!), but the game felt like a mundane fetch-quest to me. The loading times broke up the game too much and it was just a repetitive jump-n'collect fest. I spent hours stumbling through it, feeling that I owed something to gaming to complete it, but ultimately it couldn't hold my attention so I abandoned it. The game has recieved such incredible cult status recently that I feel like some kind of vile originality-hating philistine, but hey- I can't help the way I feel.
    Didn't like Killer7, either. Just don't get it.

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, Killer 7 is a game about crazy people from a Japanese designer. Psychonauts is a game about people, from a crazy American designer.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Well, Killer 7 is a game about crazy people from a Japanese designer. Psychonauts is a game about people, from a crazy American designer.

So we're quite sure Suda51 is sane, then?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I couldn't get into Psychonauts. It was well-written and well-voiced, and I loved the 'emotional baggage' (they're so adorable!), but the game felt like a mundane fetch-quest to me. The loading times broke up the game too much and it was just a repetitive jump-n'collect fest. I spent hours stumbling through it, feeling that I owed something to gaming to complete it, but ultimately it couldn't hold my attention so I abandoned it. The game has recieved such incredible cult status recently that I feel like some kind of vile originality-hating philistine, but hey- I can't help the way I feel.

I'm with you on that one. Great design and writing. Very average game play. But then again I'm not much of a 3d platform fan.

solsovly on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    new one up

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Im going to start using Cavalcade of Mediocrity in everyday conversation.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wow, he's just out to piss everyone off isn't he?

:D

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Absolutely spot on.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Speaking of Psychonauts, is it really playable with a keyboard and mouse or would it be too difficult without a pad? I've always held off buying it because I wasn't sure how well platforming could work without a stick.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I don't know what the loading times were like on the consoles, but I played the PC version and most of the loading times were very short.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Peewi wrote: »

I don't know what the loading times were like on the consoles, but I played the PC version and most of the loading times were very short.

The PS2 times were horrible, although this did not ruin the game for me.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    Speaking of Psychonauts, is it really playable with a keyboard and mouse or would it be too difficult without a pad? I've always held off buying it because I wasn't sure how well platforming could work without a stick.

11Xbox360mFestplContr001.jpg
    It plugs in to your PC

Rook on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    11Xbox360mFestplContr001.jpg
    It plugs in to your PC

It just sucks that a lot of games can't use the triggers. That includes Psychonauts sadly.

Peewi on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah what were they thinking making the two triggers the same damn axis?! Are there any homebrew drivers for the 360 pad?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still don't understand how people can say the Wii has no good games.

And the comments about Mario are simply baffling. If you count all the spinoff titles, sure, there's Mario games all over the damn place, but if you're talking about the core series, there's only been three console titles in the past 11 years (and I'm counting Mario Galaxy).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ^^ Fanboy baited successfully.

Good stuff all around. Trolls everyone equally well

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    :roll:

If I were a "fanboy", I would be saying stuff like OMG WTF DYE IN A FIER BEN HYAZTEE WEE RULZ0RS UR ASS

Nonexistent deities forbid I criticize anybody's commentary of anything.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought it funny that the pictures it gave were Master Chief for Metroid, and Sonic for Mario.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hmm wonder when he made this? He says Zelda is the only game out but MP3 just came out a few days ago.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not in PAL territories.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NohmanNohman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    Hmm wonder when he made this? He says Zelda is the only game out but MP3 just came out a few days ago.

Metroid Prime 3 comes out in Europe and Australia (Where he's from) in around 2 months time.

Nohman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nohman wrote: »

Metroid Prime 3 comes out in Europe and Australia (Where he's from) in around 2 months time.

And this makes us very unhappy.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    the guy's awesome.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Nohman wrote: »

And this makes us very unhappy.

Uh, do Mario Galaxy and SSB:B get 2007 releases?

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You know, I forgot about the whole thing about Europe and especially Oz getting screwed on release dates. I suppose in that light the Wii might not have a lot of decent games where he is.

Seems rather shortsighted of him to ignore the lineup in NA and Japan, though.

Rook: Mario Galaxy is out Nov. 12th in America. I believe SSBB is supposed to be out in December.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait a second. If http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/ is Mister Zero Punctuation's personal site, and he's the only one making stuff on that page, then we've heard of Yahtzee on this board before? As in, he made those detailed pixely adventure games, 7 Days A Skeptic and all that?

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Huh. Busy fellow, that Yahtzee.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As someone who's actually played Fantasy World Dizzy I must say I greatly enjoyed that video

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I find it pretty hilarious that people are actually getting upset about that video... Can't say I'm surprised though.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thoroughly enjoyed, would watch more.

piL on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

If I were a "fanboy", I would be saying stuff like OMG WTF DYE IN A FIER BEN HYAZTEE WEE RULZ0RS UR ASS

In my experience TP, your sense of humour requires a firmware update. You take things too seriously, too much. Really man, there is no need to criticise this commentary, because it isn't one. It's a laughathon. That's it. If there's mistakes, nobody cares about it. They just laugh, then move on. You are better served using your (admittedly logical and well intentioned) criticism on more worthwhile things.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited August 2007

In my experience TP, your sense of humour requires a firmware update. You take things too seriously, too much. Really man, there is no need to criticise this commentary, because it isn't one. It's a laughathon. That's it. If there's mistakes, nobody cares about it. They just laugh, then move on. You are better served using your (admittedly logical and well intentioned) criticism on more worthwhile things.
    Seems to me he's not just joking, he's making what he believes to be valid statements in a humorous manner.

I like the guy as a general thing, I just think some of the things he says (which are intended sincerely, in my judgment) are wrong.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My only problem with watching one of his bits is that for the next 30 minutes or so, everything I read is in his voice and pacing in my head. Actually, that's not so much a problem as it is an upgrade for the forums.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    schmads wrote: »
    My only problem with watching one of his bits is that for the next 30 minutes or so, everything I read is in his voice and pacing in my head. Actually, that's not so much a problem as it is an upgrade for the forums.

Indeed it is. Cavalcade of Mediocrity may be the best thing I've heard all week.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    Wait a second. If http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/ is Mister Zero Punctuation's personal site, and he's the only one making stuff on that page, then we've heard of Yahtzee on this board before? As in, he made those detailed pixely adventure games, 7 Days A Skeptic and all that?

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Huh. Busy fellow, that Yahtzee.

He made 1213!? I love that shit!

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
This discussion has been closed.