Options

PS3 is for inflation fetishists

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2007
    I only have around 500 of the medal points. :(

I want to see what Donut Nate and Cartoon Nate look like

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Still no release date for Rock Band in Australia.

I hate this so much. I don't even know how long I'll be waiting.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship all the instruments from play asia...

edit: I can't even do that :(

#pipe on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    well

you can import just the disc, and play with a GH controller, I think as a stopgap measure

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I went thru my demo backlog last night. (I had like 3 months worth of demos I DL but never played...)

Blazing Angels 2 - fuck, this is pure hell, I especially like how the frame rate goes to hell when I use the machine gun.

Juiced 2 HIN - not that bad actually, though I spent more time ricing up my ride with paint and stickers than actually driving (in other words a fairly accurate simulation of the current "street racing" fad).

Toy Home - AAAHAHAHA now this is a lot of fun. shame about the sixASSis controls though (feels like they are 5 seconds behind always). hey it's a car racer, yeah I know a fun/arcade/toy racer, still... give me driving wheel support, kay? I love the crowd applause when you go really apeshit and crash into stuff...

MX vs ATV Untamed - congrats on having the worst name ever. still, not horrible, reminds me of Stunt Cycle for the N64 (ie made me want to throw the controller serveral times) worth a rent if you're bored, maybe... wouldn't rush out to buy it though..

TimeShift (SP demo) - more like TimeSHIT ami rite? but seriously, I hate FPSes on consoles from now on...

TimeShift (MP demo) - kept getting errors trying to install it... deleted. guess I could try to re-download, but I won't...

Need for Speed PROSTREET - seems like just Another Generic NFS game. I still haven't touched the copy of CARBON that I bought...

Bladestorm - The Hundred Years War - about 99.9 years too long (it's crap).

The Simpsons game - kinda funny, looks REALLY great, but I dunno, the demo doesn't make me want to rush out and play it. not horrible, might be worth a rent..

Conan - uh... what?

jwalk on
  • Options
    MusashiMusashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    I only have around 500 of the medal points. :(

I want to see what Donut Nate and Cartoon Nate look like

Cartoon Drake is pretty funny looking, he is super-ripped and has kind of a goofy looking face. I do not yet have enough points to see Donut Nate yet.

Musashi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    well

you can import just the disc, and play with a GH controller, I think as a stopgap measure

But I just know that as soon as I do that, they'll announce that it's coming out here NEXT WEEK and they wont sell the instruments individually until like AUGUST and I've basically got another guitar hero game for $70 and why am I even complaining that sounds great :arrow:

#pipe on
  • Options
    monkeyfeet63monkeyfeet63 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I got the ps3 where sony thought it would be funny to cut backward capability. I, however, have a working ps2 hooked up in my bedroom.

Will I miss backwards capability?

monkeyfeet63 on
    Ducktalesavlong.jpg
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I got the ps3 where sony thought it would be funny to cut backward capability. I, however, have a working ps2 hooked up in my bedroom.

Not really. The PS3 doesn't make the games look that much better, and in some cases it actually makes them look worse (FFXII). Also if you use the bluetooth controllers wirelessly for PS2 games sometimes it won't recognize button presses and will occasionally press a button for you (for instance driving along in GTA:SA and all of a sudden hey why did I just jump out of my car?).

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also there's rumble so hey

In hindsight, I wish I'd held onto my PS2 instead of trading it for a whopping $50 at eb

#pipe on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    man you even get $50 for it?

hmmm

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I now just keep my PS2 in my car. So if I'm somewhere and suddenly we want to play Soul Calibur 3 or Guitar Hero it's right there.

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Yeah, but there are no blown holes in the city of the dead.

Let me juse clarify, I love this game.

It's awesome.

There are just parts that are poorly explained and seem like cop outs.

I felt this way but you have to chock it up to being a fun story that doesn't really take itself seriously

1) "Chalk"

2) Just because it's not a 100% realistic story does not mean that it's excused from plot holes or that lazy copouts are OK. I'm not saying that this is a lazily-written story full of bullshit copouts and plot holes, but I am saying that, in principle, "it's fiction" does not mean "anything goes." There are still rules.
    Yeah but this is supposed to be clearly ridiculous and over the top
    I think that's where it's charm lies

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    IpseDixit wrote: »

Not really. The PS3 doesn't make the games look that much better, and in some cases it actually makes them look worse (FFXII). Also if you use the bluetooth controllers wirelessly for PS2 games sometimes it won't recognize button presses and will occasionally press a button for you (for instance driving along in GTA:SA and all of a sudden hey why did I just jump out of my car?).

It's nice if you have an old PS2 that has trouble reading a lot of discs

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is blazing angels 2 a flight sim like crimson skies was a flight sim?

Cause I thoroughly enjoyed that one.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blazing angels has horrible physics, they were better in GTA SA.

You can be verticle and the plane stays on a straight course instead of diving to its doom.

Still fun though.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Like you can fly a plane like this: | as opposed this:

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Yes, flawlessly.

Even upside down you went dead straight.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Blazing Blunts 2 the flight of the concords

Urian on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yes, flawlessly.

Wait a minute... I may not be getting this...

The plane will be facing down, like this: | but moving forward, like this: |--->

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yes, flawlessly.

The plane will be facing down, like this: | but moving forward, like this: |--->

Nono

If you pitch a plane directly to its side, It turns slightly and falls, as it has no lift.

That does not happen in the game.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yes, flawlessly.

Nono

If you pitch a plane directly to its side, It turns slightly and falls, as it has no lift.

Oh.

Alright, I actually like those controls, because I don't like real flight sims.

I like things like crimson skies.

Good to know.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yes, flawlessly.

Nono

Oh.

Alright, I actually like those controls, because I don't like real flight sims.

I like things like crimson skies.

Good to know.

The game is fun, and the rounds looks awesome when they just shred enemy aircraft, or when you strafe a pack of slow moving stuukas in a superheavy fighter, taking out like 5 in one swoop.

The Co-op minigames are also really fun.

I have only played the first, but it was pretty fun.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    IpseDixit wrote: »

It's nice if you have an old PS2 that has trouble reading a lot of discs

Exactly the reason why I like it

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have a PS2 from like 2001 that still works perfectly

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't played Ninja Gaiden Sigma at all. I've had it since...Black Friday?

I never beat Ninja Gaiden Black. I got up to Alma and died a bunch and then never finished it.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    out of curiosity does blu-ray look better on a standard definition tv than a regular dvd or no

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    probably not

the only blu-ray movie I've watched is Superbad and I dunno if that's a good example, but I didn't really notice a difference over regular DVDs in progressive scan

but i haven't compared them so it might be a big difference

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    on a standard def tv there wouldnt really be any difference no

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh fuck this bit in CoD4. Get to da choppa, wait for da choppa, kill roughly 3000 soldiers whilst waitin' for da choppa. Where are they getting all these guards from?

Seriously, this is practically genocide.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you have a standard definition TV there is no difference between Blu-ray and DVDs, because both formats display at the TV's maximum output. To notice the difference in quality you need a Hi-Def TV.

Musashi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    And to get the absolute full benefit of Blu-Ray you'd need a 1080p capable tv with a screen thats at least 50"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't know quite where you get the 50" TV, because it would be more based on the distance you are from your TV.

Musashi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's not possible for the human eye to differentiate between 720p and 1080p on screens smaller than that unless maybe you have the TV on your lap.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Oh fuck this bit in CoD4. Get to da choppa, wait for da choppa, kill roughly 3000 soldiers whilst waitin' for da choppa. Where are they getting all these guards from?

Seriously, this is practically genocide.

now you know what it's like to be a marine, son

AHH! on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    depends on the movie.

ie. the old DVD versions of Blade Runner, Unforgiven, Road Warrior (1997-98 or so), and a few others I can think of were awful (non-anamorphic, lousy prints, terrible transfers) so the Blu-ray WILL look better no question. For other movies with good (modern) DVD transfers, the difference will be extremely small to non-existent.

Anyway you can stop with the "human eye" stuff, because everyone's eyes are different, and people's perceptions are attuned differently, and well.. some people just don't care that much about visual quality.
    Even a small 720p TV has 3x the resolution of a standard-def TV and could (should...) look better with Hi-Def sources, you don't need a large 1080i/p TV. For one, the color reproduction of HDTV is far and away light years ahead of NTSC, regardless of screen size or resolution, etc...

jwalk on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    Also there's rumble so hey

In hindsight, I wish I'd held onto my PS2 instead of trading it for a whopping $50 at eb

Yeah I miss rumble. When they come out with a PROPER PS3 controller, I'll buy one.

Defender on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    probably not

the only blu-ray movie I've watched is Superbad and I dunno if that's a good example, but I didn't really notice a difference over regular DVDs in progressive scan

I'd think you'd want it more for movies with lots of CG and special effects and shit. Movies like Superbad just don't seem to need that.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    probably not

I'd think you'd want it more for movies with lots of CG and special effects and shit. Movies like Superbad just don't seem to need that.

I know, but i wanted the swear-counter

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    soooooooooooooooooooo

dell.ca has an 80 gig ps3 bundle that comes with Ratchet and Clank and Motorstorm for 500 bucks

if it's still there when I get paid, I am all over that shit

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    jwalk wrote: »
    depends on the movie.

ie. the old DVD versions of Blade Runner, Unforgiven, Road Warrior (1997-98 or so), and a few others I can think of were awful (non-anamorphic, lousy prints, terrible transfers) so the Blu-ray WILL look better no question. For other movies with good (modern) DVD transfers, the difference will be extremely small to non-existent.

Anyway you can stop with the "human eye" stuff, because everyone's eyes are different, and people's perceptions are attuned differently, and well.. some people just don't care that much about visual quality.
    Even a small 720p TV has 3x the resolution of a standard-def TV and could (should...) look better with Hi-Def sources, you don't need a large 1080i/p TV. For one, the color reproduction of HDTV is far and away light years ahead of NTSC, regardless of screen size or resolution, etc...

did you even read what I said? I was talking about the difference between 1080p and 720p. Of course even small HDTVs look way better than standard def. And Shoe was asking about Blu-Ray making a difference on a non-HDTV, which it won't, because regular DVDs already run at a better resolution than standard def tvs use.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.