As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 is for inflation fetishists

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blu-rays will play just fine over NTSC output, just use the cable that came with it or buy a component one if your tv has component - any PS2 one will work, they are the same (A/V-Multi). Or S-video for that matter.

You can't use HDMI obviously.

There's a list of PS3 exclusive games here.

Hm I guess the list of released titles is actually pretty short (20). Out of all those I might pick up:
    Eye of Judgment, The
    Folklore
    Heavenly Sword
    Lair *maybe rent it first...
    Motorstorm
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Warhawk

jwalk on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the ps3 comes with component cables as well as the hdmi one correct

it is my plan to use hdmi in the coming months when I finally get an hdtv but until then I totally want to use component

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I will definitely get warhawk if only for the headset

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2007
    the ps3 comes with component cables as well as the hdmi one correct

it is my plan to use hdmi in the coming months when I finally get an hdtv but until then I totally want to use component

nope

it comes with composite cables

well, i dunno about the 80gb one. i think it still does

the other ones all did

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2007
    so guys

besides ratchet and uncharted

what ps3 games are worth getting that I can't get on 360 (sorry but I gotta make the most of my live account)

uncharted

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ah well

I guess at least I won't have to switch between the ps3 and 360 on my one component input

keith you saw that I mentioned uncharted did you not

I am taking your recommendations the most seriously

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ah well

I guess at least I won't have to switch between the ps3 and 360 on my one component input

keith you saw that I mentioned uncharted did you not

I am taking your recommendations the most seriously

i didn't see it

but i'm going to save face by saying it's worth mentioning twice

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    so I'm reading about the ps3 in wikipedia

and I get to the section about backwards compatibility
    Backward compatibility

It doesn't matter about backwards compatibility because the XBOX 360 has Halo and Halo 2 and the PS2 doesn't have anything else that compete with those two games. God of War, God of War 2, Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, Gran Turismo 4, and Metal Gear Solid. Yeah what about that, if you have Halo 3 thats where we will settle this.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    so I'm reading about the ps3 in wikipedia

and I get to the section about backwards compatibility
    Backward compatibility

It doesn't matter about backwards compatibility because the XBOX 360 has Halo and Halo 2 and the PS2 doesn't have anything else that compete with those two games. God of War, God of War 2, Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, Gran Turismo 4, and Metal Gear Solid. Yeah what about that, if you have Halo 3 thats where we will settle this.

hahahaha

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

that site lets you put in a game and it'll tell you if (and what) it has problems on the 80gb

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

that site lets you put in a game and it'll tell you if (and what) it has problems on the 80gb

yeah I found it

fortunately all my ps2 games seem to be in the clear

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh you Wikipedia! You never fail to amuse us!

jwalk on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The best thing I ever saw on wikipedia, was the plot summary to Underworld Evolution.

They've removed the creepily over the top blow by blow review of vampire werewolf sex now though.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    The best thing I ever saw on wikipedia, was the plot summary to Underworld Evolution.

They've removed the creepily over the top blow by blow review of vampire werewolf sex now though.

You can't remove things from Wikipedia*, so it should still be in the history somewhere

You know, if you're really interested

*Unless you're an admin and have oversight capabilities

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    monkeyfeet63monkeyfeet63 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The best wikipedia edit was that one on avalanches where it said "to survive an avalanche grab something sturdy like a rock, tree branch, or bigfoot's penis."

monkeyfeet63 on
    Ducktalesavlong.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The best wikipedia edit was that one on avalanches where it said "to survive an avalanche grab something sturdy like a rock, tree branch, or bigfoot's penis."

I remember seeing that.

Anyway, Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a great game. The higher difficulty levels and the unlockable missions are just absurdly hard, like, in a bad way, but the default difficulty is very solid.

Also there are plot holes and some bad camera control and shit but the important thing is that for the vast majority of the game, everything's manageable and the combat mechanics really work well and you fucking flip out and chop off heads exactly like RUP says you should.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    i can't wait for Ninja Gaiden II even though i still haven't beaten I/black/sigma

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Beat the original, ya faggit.

Also one of you two cockmunchers needs to PM me with exact details for tomorrow or else I will stay home and beat off to pictures of you that I find on the internet.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    i can't go this weekend i've gotta babysit my brother's dog at his house

if you want to come over

;)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh shit well then good thing I asked. I had a feeling that if I didn't say anything, nothing would happen and all, good to see that sense still works.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    oh sweet, apparently PSN cards are going to retail soon

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    kuribo ps3 software emulation is really good. people don't seem to acknowledge it at all, but it works well and more compatibility issues are resolved with every firmware upgrade

My brother's 40gb has no backwards compatability.

Zero.

As in, you put in a PS2 game, any PS2 game, it says "this disc is of the wrong format"

#pipe on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    which is funny, because aren't ps2 games just dvds

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    kuribo ps3 software emulation is really good. people don't seem to acknowledge it at all, but it works well and more compatibility issues are resolved with every firmware upgrade

My brother's 40gb has no backwards compatability.

Zero.

As in, you put in a PS2 game, any PS2 game, it says "this disc is of the wrong format"

Yeah, that's the reason I bought a 60gb one when I did. Didn't know if I really needed 80 but I wanted BC, so I picked up a 60 gig at Best Buy even though I could see no reason to own one at the time. Mostly use it atm for watching upconverted dvds and playing some old PS2 games, but I want to pick up Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted, so I can finally have a reason to own both a 360 and a PS3.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My brother called me up for advice about picking up a PS3 since I already had one.

He's like "the guy at EB told me they don't have any in stock because there's a new cheaper model coming out. It's only got a 40bg hard drive though... also he said it doesn't play PS2 games?"

and I was like "nah, they wouldn't do something that fucked."

#pipe on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My brother called me up for advice about picking up a PS3 since I already had one.

He's like "the guy at EB told me they don't have any in stock because there's a new cheaper model coming out. It's only got a 40bg hard drive though... also he said it doesn't play PS2 games?"

I bet you feel silly.

Never bet against Sony's lack of.. well, not really intelligence. I don't even know what they're lacking in this case. Scruples?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    FrogFrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    vsove wrote: »

I bet you feel silly.

Never bet against Sony's lack of.. well, not really intelligence. I don't even know what they're lacking in this case. Scruples?

I heard from a fly on the wall that Sony still had scruples. They keep them in a jar in the vault guarded by heartless peons who are paid $1 over minimum wage.

On a side note. Is there enough re-playability in Heavenly Sword and Uncharted to make them worth purchasing instead of just renting via Gamefly? Limited funds make purchasing video games unfeasible compaired to renting them while I am still in college.... Thoughts?

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    the 40 gig is completely ps2 free and as such is not a very good option for me

the 80 gig should be fine

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Frog wrote: »
    On a side note. Is there enough re-playability in Heavenly Sword and Uncharted to make them worth purchasing instead of just renting via Gamefly?

after buying uncharted almost month ago it's still pretty much the only game i'd even consider playing at the moment. i've probably put a good 50 hours into it, i've played through the entire story three times, still haven't found all the treasures or unlocked all the medals, and i still love it. buy it. buy it right away.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

get the 60

I like mine

just hunt through gamestops, eventually, you'll find one

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Stale wrote: »

get the 60

I like mine

just hunt through gamestops, eventually, you'll find one

well the deal I can get on dell.ca is good enough I'm not too terribly worried about bc

the 80 gig seems to handle most games fine, and my ps2 is in fairly good shape so if there's something I come across problems with I guess I'll just hook up the old girl.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Apparently the remaining PS2 hardware from the 80gb that they removed for the 40gb saved them about $10 a unit, which doesn't sound like much until you realize that amounts to a retail equivilent of more like $100.

Keep in mind PS1 emulation is 100% software so ALL PS3s will run those games, including of course the downloadable ones.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I've got like, maybe 3 ps1 games I'd still play

but I guess it's good to know

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    hmm, a dilemma

guys I'm lookin' at the dell.ca website and there's a bunch of different bundles here

the one I'm looking at right now is the 80 GB Motorstorm Bundle with Ratchet and Clank for $499

they also have the 40 GB Spider-Man 3 bundle with R & C for $399.

so I could potentially get Uncharted as well and have it be cheaper than the 80 gig with no extra game

but I'd lose 40 gigs of space and BC

and Motorstorm I guess but I don't really care one way or the other about Motorstorm

so what do you think I should do

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd go with the 80gig since I never know how much space I'm gonna fill up

Boils down to whether you think you'll be able to fill 40 gigs or not I guess

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Go for the 80 GB with Ratchet and Clank. Better to pay extra now than to regret your decision. The hard drive fills up fast and man, having one system that plays PS2 and PS3 games is better than having your PS2 there as well. Consolidation and all.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah I suppose

and I guess I'd still have two games out of the deal

and motorstorm was fun that one time I played it for like 10 minutes in a Target a year ago

what the hell

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah get the 80

as lostwords said, the hard drive can fill up fast. i mean, you can always upgrade the hard drive, but better get it out of the way first

plus you can beat uncharted on a rental

but then you'll want to play again

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    then again the HDD is replaceable. I bought the 20GB and now have a 160GB in there. So I'd base it more on whether you want BC than anything.

jwalk on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.