As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flame The Newb; Now with .12% less Suckage

joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Artist's Corner
Looking for critiques and some general help. Maybe someone doodling on top of my drawings to show me some better positioning etc. would be fantastic. Also posts along the line of "your drawings are dogshit, I could throw up better than that" are also accepted. The first few are from way way back, but I haven't practised more and more or anything, I just stopped drawing, and my style changes. Cheers.

First one, from way back. Embarrassing, i know, but shows PROGRESS!
Untitled_by_joshferguson.jpg
Next Up: Crap!
Halloween_Josh_by_joshferguson.jpg
Memory Lane Can Be Terrifying
beauty_by_joshferguson.jpg
More Recent
This_Ain__t_Your_Daddys_Gospel_by_joshferguson.jpg
More More Recent
guycolorro1.jpg
guycolorro1.ea3ef44930.jpg

Astute observers may have seen some of these in the doodle thread. They may also notice that I have a hard on for angels. Angels with weaponry. And white space.

So thats all the pieces of crap I could dredge up at this moment in time. There are others, but, yeah, no scanner. The last two were done in open canvas with a shitty wacom tablet. FLAME ON DUDERS!

joshua1 on

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Concentrate less on color and more on proportion. Go to the library and get some books on drawing. just practice and you'll be doing well.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    heh, the colour is just a 30 second addition, not much concentration. Thanks for the advice though.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes, but in those 30 seconds you could have done three 10 second gesture drawings.

You need to work on line quality and movement. Draw more from life, and less from your memory. That is my best advice for you.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FLAME... i kid, i kid.

I can see pretty much everyone coming in and telling you to work on your anatomy and not to scribble the lines.

Also, look at real life pictures and you'll see that eyes don't look like that from the side and that a face is not proportioned like that.

The head is too small in some of your pictures and too big in others.

Johannen on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Along with the anatomy, work on finishing out the more recent stuff before you touch the colors. Once you get the general form in place, finished hands and faces and the like should still come before colors.

Good job on the orange frog head thing.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I guess I should try drawing from an actual picture.... and I know I kind of hid detail by having a bazsquillion little lines. I'm a little better with actual pencil and paper drawing vs. tablet drawing, as its easier to erase the lines I don't want, leaving just one set. I will see if I can abuse my scanner till it works, and upload some. Feet, Faces and Hands seem to be the hardest thing for me to do. Very fiddly. Bleargh. Thanks for the advice.

@aneurythmia: Orange frog head thing?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drawing from actual life is better than drawing from an actual picture. If feet and hands are difficult for you, try drawing 10 of each a day from life, post them here and i promise you that it wont be a problem very long.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I went and had a look at some pictures before attempting this, and I must say, I think it looks better (sorry for the "handy cam" effect, scanner = teh lame)

"CRAAAAWWWWWLING IN MY SKINNNNNNNNN"
    rimg0021yk2.jpg

and here is one of my girlfriend, done from photo;
    rimg0022dh5.jpg

I don't understand how I can draw these things, then every single other peice I draw (not shown due to shame) is horrible. Why can't I reproduce anything? (for extra bonus points, notice how I have a problem reproducing even in a single image, hence why an eye is missing)

*sigh* I suck.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    ZeeBeeKayZeeBeeKay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Stop trying to reproduce things.

You don't have the skill level in life-drawing to try to draw from a photo, yet. Stop trying to reproduce photos without understanding the underlying anatomy, and start drawing from life. Don't have a model? Use your left hand. Or your foot. Or some part of you that you don't move while you're drawing. Like the poster right above you said, if you draw ten hands or feet every day then you will get better incredibly quickly.

Good luck!

ZeeBeeKay on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    but....but.... they're not terrible are they? *blubber*

I mean, is there ANY improvement?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your faces are symbols, not the real thing. You have an idea in your head of what an eye looks like (football shaped and big), when eyes usually aren't that shape. You need to LOOK at what you are drawing, the whole picture, not just each item individually. Quit drawing faces. Seriously. Stop it. Starting with some of the harder drawing material isn't the way to learn how to draw.
    Go outside and draw. Theres a whole world out there waiting to be drawn. Look at the whole picture as a unified image, not just individual objects. Do rough, quick drawings of the whole picture, then work on refining it.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, your whole piece should always be the same level of finished. For example, if you were drawing a bowl fo fruit, you wouldn't have one apple totally finished and the other barely started.

Draw fruit and hands. I drew fruit and hands and got a lot better relatively quickly. I try and draw my left hand at least twice a day.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    dude...i hate to tell you this. but you're girlfriend is a cyclops.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So it's been a while since i've posted here so i dont know how valid my opinion is, but my advice would be to move away from trying make drawings that depict cool angels holding guns and knives and looking cool n stuff, untilmyou have learned to draw proportionally and confidently.

Trying to make drawings that look edgy and cool will only distract you from whats important. And you will be alot more pleased with a proportionally correct sketch of a simple body than you will with a emo-angel holding gunz n shit.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why is it that every new or "learning" artist just HAS to draw the "sad emo fallen angel" and the "angel with gun" picture? It's kind of bizarre.

galen on