As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things I like/dislike better then last years PAX thread

• strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Things I Liked Better:

- JONATHAN COULTON - the man is a genius, I had never heard him before and I am officially hooked.

- MOAR SPACE - who likes being crushed to death? Not I.

as a result of the above, - LESS CRAPPY WAITING IN LINES -

- Huge exhibitor space, tons of cool smaller exhibitors like Metanet.

- Food available near to or inside the con, especially the hidden cafeteria in the Exhibit hall.

- waaaaaaay better Keynote speech this year. Wil Wheaton rocks!

Things That Were Kinda Crappy:

- Poor concert audio on the first night

- Annoying Nvidia badge thing all the time

- laggy Pictochat! Noooooo!

- limited BAWLS and no SnoBalls (oh god that was awesome stuff)

- Red Vs. Blue were not as great as they were last year IMHO, but still damn cool.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    if they're going to have PAX at this venue again, i'm definitely going the BYOC route.

it seemed like the coolest part of the convention (minus the Minibosses concert and exhibition hall) this year.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MC Frontlot? How ever you say his name. NEEDS TO GO... So sick of him D: Hated him last year.. hate him this year to.

Soda241 on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Soda241 wrote: »
    MC Frontlot? How ever you say his name. NEEDS TO GO... So sick of him D: Hated him last year.. hate him this year to.

It's a bummer I don't like his music, cause I like hip hop, I liked nerdom, and he is a super-nice guy! I just always leave the concert while he is up :(

TrainwreckX on
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    --The convention center itself is a huge plus. Bellevue was a good home for us for three years but a move was necessary. Seattle is a great city to give out-of-town visitors plenty of opportunity to do things outside of the convention.
    --Seeing more cosplay was a plus for me, some of the costumes were great and it was fun to see that many people enjoying themselves.
    --I really think the hygiene was better all around.

Dislikes
    --As PAX grows larger it does feel a little more commercialized. There's less outreach from the community. Granted I'm not the most open person but there was less people striking up random conversations in lines/etc versus the past three years. (There were still friendly, talkative people just not as many!)
    --The non-main-theaters had too little seating for some of the panels, meaning an interested audience was left standing outside without a way to view or hear what was occuring on the inside. I remember display panels in Meydenbauer showcasing what was occuring in the main theater for the overflow individuals who weren't able to actually get inside to view the panel up close and in person.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm guessing PAX was more social if you actually knew people and pre-arranged to hang with them.

If you didn't know anyone, and showed up solo, you were kinda just SOL.

i went with a group of five, and it was pretty fun.

really, it's about being personable. my brother's girlfriend is really good at lumines, and took second place in last years tournie (to a cheap loss, bahh but that's another story!), so she came this year super ready to go, and just started asking anybody who had a PSP to play Lumines, and she made like 10+ friends she talked to throughout the entire convention.

assuming you have something in common with the other people (like, you know, gaming), it shouldn't be too hard to find other people to hang with. especially in the handheld areas.

I struck up a few conversations here and there, but most people didn't seem that interested in talking. I probably just had bad luck and found all the antisocial peeps. I'm kinda shy in person myself, so I can't really blame them. In fact, the longest conversations I held were with Mustin and Dale from the OneUps, just shootin' the shit about music and games, and with Kim from the Mass Effect demo, just chillin' on the couch talking about the game. That one was sweet, because I sat down to rest for a sec, and she just plopped down next to me and started talking shop. =D

Houn on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Likes: The event was amazing and I have no complaints about settings or venue. Except maybe to get rid of the DDR machines, or hand out free deodorant samples to anyone who plays them and maybe move them to their own seperate room, on, say, Mars.

Dislikes: Bawls, balls, Bolls.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Tell me you weren't the guy who denounced the Ball during the Strip panel and nearly got obliterated!

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Tell me you weren't the guy who denounced the Ball during the Strip panel and nearly got obliterated!

nope, but I am pretty sick of it myself. thankfully it's pretty avoidable.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • sarranadesarranade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    - laggy Pictochat! Noooooo!

I KNOW.
    D:
    I especially had a problem with it waiting in line/in the main theater.

sarranade on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    you know, I know people like the parties and stuff, but what if we're minors? we're sorta SOL.

Next year I may attempt to have a party for the canadians out there. (americans welcome of course.)

And I would also like to downvote the booth babes once more. This isn't a car show.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Gamedeals.caGamedeals.ca Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LIKE:
    - Wil Wheaton keynote. Need to have someone different next year, but who can top that?
    - More space. Things weren't too hard to find and it was more comfortable.
    - Larger exhibition hall (can we make it even larger next year?)
    - Location (Parking in the convention center was affordable & it was close to everything we needed)

DISLIKE:
    - The hotels were expensive & not all that friendly to being filled with "us" and left no room for parties.
    - Some panels were disappointing and after going for years, repetitive.

SUGGESTIONS:
    - Get the exhibitors to take PAX a bit more seriously. There wasn't a single Sony rep at their booth, it was all hired "promo" people with limited knowledge.
    - New & different panels. It seems like the same stuff every year, maybe it's time to step it up a notch with more "high calibur" guests.
    - Bring Wil Wheaton back, but have a different keynote speaker. His speech was excellent, but we need a different experience each year.
    - New & different bands. Maybe bring back MC Chris, or the Blindfolded pianist... or bring in someone like Weird Al. The concert I attended this year was kind of empty and most of the bands didn't really draw much of a "wow" crowd.

Gamedeals.ca on
    GameDeals Video Games
    407 Columbia St. New Westminster (GVA)
    Just off Columbia Skytrain Station.
    http://www.gamedeals.ca
  • AnexkahnAnexkahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i think that bawls should sponsor a 24hour after hours venue in one of the hotels.... this way they could sell their product at reasonable prices by the case, people would have a place to go during the early hours of the morning and play tabletop / byo console, hang out, etc.

Anexkahn on
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Things I like better than last year:

The Fury and Warhammer booths. These booths were MUCH more accessible this year and actually had people there you could talk to about the games who actually knew the answers. Last year I couldn't even get to the Warhammer booth and the guys at the Fury booth really didn't know enough about the game to answer my questions, they just kept repeating their promo lines as if they were memorized. I don't think they were even gamers.

The Large Space Really, this just made everything a lot better. Last year it took such an effort to get from one place to another that you couldn't really do much. This year I was able to experience and enjoy the con more fully.

Things that were worse:

Parking and transportation: I live in Redmond, so Bellevue was much more convenient, and parking at the mall was free... less bums around asking for money on the walk to the con center too. This year, I took the bus on Friday which worked out fine though it was a long walk to the bus stop from the convention center. On Saturday I got dropped off and picked up, which worked well, but on Sunday I drove and had a terrible time finding parking at a decent rate. I finally found a sketchy parking lot up the street for $7 / 10 hours. Had to dodge dog poop, bums, and traffic to get from the parking lot to the con, not too pleasant.

padmeamanda on
  • stiillstiill Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Agreed on Tabletop: the tons of tiny rooms are not only super segmented, they're also cramped and smelly.

stiill on
  • Crit_FailCrit_Fail Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My apologies for the terribly long post - hopefully it will be worth it.

This thread is full of awesome ideas that can improve PAX as a gathering and convention with really constructive ideas that I would love to see implemented! I feel that there is also an awful lot that we as a community can do to help PAX stay awesome as it grows as well. I have tucked that bulk of text in spoiler tags to conserve space, but please give it a gander and contemplate how we can be sure the PAX that we love survives.

The secular or "unconnected" feeling at PAX '07 which has been discussed frequently in this thread was something that was most disconcerting to me as well. My most fond memories from my first PAX in yesteryear ('06) consistently involved the incredible levels of camaraderie that the entire convention was brimming with. I arrived in line WAY too early and spent several hours standing on the sidewalk in Bellevue during the August sun with several thousand other nerds. Despite the recipe for disaster that this may sound to be, this had to be one of the most awesome experiences of my entire year.

People in line handed around their portable systems and exchanged games to keep each other occupied during the hours of waiting. On Saturday, when the WoW coloring contest was passed around people often shared crayons or ideas and complemented each other's colorizing work. The atmosphere of the gathering was more similar to a friendly party rather than a convention. You could move freely from one group of strangers to another and were always welcomed in their conversations, as many of them were complete strangers who had randomly coagulated to pass the time as well. This year, however, everyone seemed to be fairly set in their groups of friends which they arrived with and rarely had lengthy exchanges or conversations outside of those groups, save for the occasional information sharing - i.e. "Ugh! My buddy just called me and the doors won't open for a little longer because the press hasn't gotten enough time to look around. Lame, huh guys?!"

A "convention" is something that you and your friends attend for specific reasons. You have specific goals and your entire approach is far more goal oriented. While our groups of friends may be well included in these, we still tend to aim for these goals which we have attended for.

- "I want to see MC Frontalot!"
    - "I love Wil Wheaton! He talks major smack about Jack Thompson! We have to see him!"
    - "I love free stuff - even if I have no idea what it's for and will probably never try any of the games it's for!"
    - "Mike and Jerry have awesome panels!"
    - "Freeplay - WOOOOO!"
    - "I've GOT to show off my kickass costume!"
    - "After three months of practicing Mario Kart, I have to be able to beat somebody on Ni-Fi!"

I say this because I feel that PAX did not change. I do not believe that Mike, Jerry, Robert, nor any of the other organizers did anything significantly different this year than last that would have changed our feelings in this way. I believe that we changed. Whether it was due to the change in location, the change in size, the change in popularity, or just a change in the water in the greater Seattle area, who can say... but we became attendees of the Penny Arcade Expo rather than participants of PAX.

During the final PA Panel on Sunday, a fellow PAXeer© asked which omnipotent force Gabe and Tycho prefer to direct their whispered prayers to in efforts to prevent PAX from becoming "the next E3" and imploding upon itself. A fine question indeed. The answer, as best as I can recall after this magnificently long weekend, included a statement that struck a chord deep within me. (Note: I know this is not verbatim. Sadly, I cannot recall word-for-word what was said. If anybody has a recording of the final panel or recalls a verbatim transcript, I would LOVE to have an accurate transcript of this.) The guys said that they believed that the fact that PAX was not an "industry" event but was rather an event for the "community" of gamers it would survive.

Tycho wrote in today's news post that he feels it would be impossible for just himself and Gabe to create an event like PAX. Naturally, this refers to the dozens of people involved in the massive and doubtlessly time-consuming planning, organizing, maintenance, running, and strategizing [sic] that it takes to put on an event of this size. This group of folks can assuredly continue to put on awesome gatherings of this sort no matter what we do. The difference is that if we want the great unified feeling of yesteryear to survive the incredibly growth that PAX has seen, WE have to put in just as much effort as we expect from these folks.

Let's remind ourselves why PAX was awesome to us. Was it the free stuff? Was it playing games that we probably have (or at least could have / rent) at home? Was it feeling like you just met several thousand new friends? Was it that even though it was your first PAX and you weren't even that familiar with the comic that you were welcomed by everyone with open arms and made feel at home? We cannot mutter with disappointment that the feeling of personal connectivity (There's a cool idea...) has been lost from PAX when we ourselves failed to warmly welcome all of the new people (How many THOUSANDS were there? Do we know for sure yet?) to our fold of nerddom.

My challenges to myself, and any others who will take up the banner of PAX and fight for the gathering that won my heart:

- Befriend at least a dozen new people next year.
    - Be sure to organize going to lunch/dinner with a group of new people.
    - Wear a name tag that says "Please talk to me!"
    - Talk to more people! All the time!
    - Grab a few complete strangers at some point during the convention for a Console or PC freeplay session.
    - Carry on conversations with anyone I can rather than letting the conversation die because I'm too shy.
    - Ask everyone in a costume who they are and get pictures of/with them!

I'm sure with time I could come up with more, but I need to pretend that I'm working today. =D Does anyone else feel that we must be the champions of the PAX that we love? I'm almost positive that I'm not SO insane that nobody can agree with me... almost poisitive. Does anybody else who feels this way have any other suggestions or thoughts on how we can be sure the feeling of PAX community and participation that we loved lives on?

Thanks for your time!

-- CF

"The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think." - Horace Walpole

Crit_Fail on
    "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think." - Horace Walpole
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Better:

The Lines
    More Space
    Free ear plugs for the concerts.

Worse"

Cost of Bawls

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, the Bawls was overpriced, but it's just caffeinated sugar water. Other than the marketing behind it, it is seriously the same shit as everything else.

This was definitely an improvement over last year. More space, better Omegathon games, a bigger exhibition room, and lots panels. Family Feud is a great addition, as well, though it needs expanding upon.

Thello on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thello wrote: »
    Yeah, the Bawls was overpriced, but it's just caffeinated sugar water. Other than the marketing behind it, it is seriously the same shit as everything else.

why are you posting all kinds of negative shit today? first off, to say it's the same as all the other energy drinks is incredibly ignorant, since there are many different forms of energy coming from energy drinks, mostly caffeine, b vitamins, and guarana. and second, we all love bawls because it tastes great and provides more of an energy boost than just about any of the other drinks.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited August 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »

why are you posting all kinds of negative shit today? first off, to say it's the same as all the other energy drinks is incredibly ignorant, since there are many different forms of energy coming from energy drinks, mostly caffeine, b vitamins, and guarana. and second, we all love bawls because it tastes great and provides more of an energy boost than just about any of the other drinks.
    What are you talking about? My post wasn't in any way negative. Saying that "PAX isn't PAX without Bawls" is bullshit. "Gamers need caffeine" is silly, stereotypical marketing shill and you're falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

If you are so lethargic as to physically require caffeine to play video games, take a caffeine pill. They average 200mg (twice that of a bottle of Bawls) and your body absorbs it a lot easier than in any diluted liquid form.

Thello on
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

What are you talking about? My post wasn't in any way negative. Saying that "PAX isn't PAX without Bawls" is bullshit. "Gamers need caffeine" is silly, stereotypical marketing shill and you're falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

If you are so lethargic as to physically require caffeine to play video games, take a caffeine pill. They average 200mg (twice that of a bottle of Bawls) and your body absorbs it a lot easier than in any diluted liquid form.

that's actually about 2.5 times as much as Bawls. But Bawls taste great. Anyway if you read my earlier post I explained the Bawls situation. Note for next year: Stock the fuck up before hand

xxhennersxx on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Crit_Fail wrote: »
    My apologies for the terribly long post - hopefully it will be worth it.
    <snip>

Being my first PAX, I can't really say what previous years were like, but perhaps there were just too many people. In a crowd of 30,000+, how many people did you see more than once? How many people did you talk to that you ran into a second time?

Houn on
  • EonBlueEonBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

If you don't let yourself get sold on some things you are making capitalism fail. If you can show that as a group you are a market force and can be sold to, companies will cater/market items to you. But thats not even really the point. Caffine buzz is hardly something I've ever felt, however the placebo effect is. Thats still not even the point. The point is Bawls sold their drink which is pretty good, in a glass bottle, at a pretty decent price. I think they sold it for 1 dollar per bottle 2 paxes ago and 1.25 last pax. That is cheaper then most vending machines. But the jackasses at the WSCTC were selling it for 2.50 PER BOTTLE... Thats STILL not the point. The point is Bawls is and has been a noticeable presence and SPONSOR at PAX and they were unallowed to have a booth this year, a presence that has been at pax is missing. Thats the point.[/ijustgottrolled]

EonBlue on
    edited August 2007
    EonBlue wrote: »

If you don't let yourself get sold on some things you are making capitalism fail. If you can show that as a group you are a market force and can be sold to, companies will cater/market items to you. But thats not even really the point. Caffine buzz is hardly something I've ever felt, however the placebo effect is. Thats still not even the point. The point is Bawls sold their drink which is pretty good, in a glass bottle, at a pretty decent price. I think they sold it for 1 dollar per bottle 2 paxes ago and 1.25 last pax. That is cheaper then most vending machines. But the jackasses at the WSCTC were selling it for 2.50 PER BOTTLE... Thats STILL not the point. The point is Bawls is and has been a noticeable presence and SPONSOR at PAX and they were unallowed to have a booth this year, a presence that has been at pax is missing. Thats the point.[/ijustgottrolled]

Exactally. it's a damn good drink. I don't care about the caffeinne buzz, it's not much.. I've only gotten an actual buzz from one energy drink that I actually felt (wired 344). but it's still fucking tasty dammit.

xxhennersxx on
    edited August 2007
    EonBlue wrote: »

You said:

"NO BAWLS BOOTH I don't know if I can call it PAX without BAWLS... really this is almost a dealbreaker"

That is all I was responding to. You are getting far too worked up over sugar water.

Thello on
  • DoppelgamerDoppelgamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saw a guy with a t-shirt on that said "REAL GAMERS SHOWER." I simply need to know where he bought that. Was I the only one who showered and applied deodorant every morning? Oh well.

By the way, this was my first PAX yet... but here's my opinion:

Ruled:
    + Playable Demos - getting to try out Gears on PC before my friends gives some serious bragging rights.
    + Huge PC freeplay area - very small, if existent lines
    + Free bawls in the line on day 1 (unless that wasn't official, which would nullify any coolness!)
    + Venue - it was the perfect size for PAX. It was far from empty, but gave everyone enough space and helped us avoid outdoor lines. What's more, it was in a central location, and it was easy to find from buses, taxis, walking, what have you.

Anti-ruled:
    - Not enough freeplay consoles - this is sort of a "if I HAD to change something" item
    - Laid-back tournaments - I did the half-life 2 tournament, and it felt a little too free-form. The instructions and rules could have been made a lot clearer beforehand, i.e. the number of warm-up rounds.
    - Concerts were too late - not because I couldn't stay up, bawls could have solved that, it was mainly because I had to take a bus back to my lodgings, and they don't run after midnight or so. Man, I had heard of Jonathan Coulton before I'd even heard of PAX, and didn't get to see him :|
    - Jenga in the omegathon - it was about like russian roulette, and as refreshingly random as it was, could have eliminated some potential winners.

I'd say the points under "ruled" are quite large, and should by all means overshadow the things I didn't like.

Doppelgamer on
    dopplegamer.png
    Entire game list (more than likely to be out of date)
    --Doppelgamer
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thello wrote:
    That is all I was responding to. You are getting far too worked up over sugar water.

Why do you play videogames? I don't see the point, it's just looking at colored lights :P

You are still proving the point that you do NOT know what people are talking about. The whole point is, Bawls has been a PAX institution from the beginning. It's not about the drink itself, it's about the fact that Bawls has always had a large PAX presence, and this year it wasn't due to an idiotic contract that the convention center agreed to with a greedy catering service. And it's not only that it cost $2.50 - it was also the fact that the darned company wasn't even selling them the entire time! Not once did I see the stand open on Saturday. And I heard that they didn't even like selling to people who just wanted the drink and nothing else. It's the same thing as if they didn't do the Omegathon this year - wouldn't you expect people to get worked up about that?

Dreamwriter on
    edited August 2007
    I saw a guy with a t-shirt on that said "REAL GAMERS SHOWER." I simply need to know where he bought that. Was I the only one who showered and applied deodorant every morning? Oh well.

Ruled:
    + Playable Demos - getting to try out Gears on PC before my friends gives some serious bragging rights.
    + Free bawls in the line on day 1 (unless that wasn't official, which would nullify any coolness!)
    + Venue - it was the perfect size for PAX. It was far from empty, but gave everyone enough space and helped us avoid outdoor lines. What's more, it was in a central location, and it was easy to find from buses, taxis, walking, what have you.

Anti-ruled:
    - Not enough freeplay consoles - this is sort of a "if I HAD to change something" item
    - Laid-back tournaments - I did the half-life 2 tournament, and it felt a little too free-form. The instructions and rules could have been made a lot clearer beforehand, i.e. the number of warm-up rounds.
    - Concerts were too late - not because I couldn't stay up, bawls could have solved that, it was mainly because I had to take a bus back to my lodgings, and they don't run after midnight or so. Man, I had heard of Jonathan Coulton before I'd even heard of PAX, and didn't get to see him :|
    - Jenga in the omegathon - it was about like russian roulette, and as refreshingly random as it was, could have eliminated some potential winners.

I'd say the points under "ruled" are quite large, and should by all means overshadow the things I didn't like.

the free bawls was actually every day. PEnny-Arcade did it to partially rectify the Bawls situation since the Seattle convention center wouldnt' allow the Bawls booth.

xxhennersxx on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dang, I didn't get there early enough on Saturday and Sunday. Once I realized the line on Friday was for absolutely nothing, it didn't seem worth it. haha.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2007
    Thello wrote:
    It's the same thing as if they didn't do the Omegathon this year - wouldn't you expect people to get worked up about that?
    You are comparing a three-day tournament encompassing a myriad of different gaming skills, culminating in a final round in front of tens of thousands of people on theater-sized screens to... Soda. No, it's not the same thing.

Thello on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Ruled:

Anti-ruled:

the free bawls was actually every day. PEnny-Arcade did it to partially rectify the Bawls situation since the Seattle convention center wouldnt' allow the Bawls booth.

we didn't get bawls on sunday, yet we showed up even earlier than on saturday.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • PlayPlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Honestly, you guys should be glad there was a Bawls presence at all. Robert worked for months to get around the fact that WSCTC is Coke-only. Maybe things will change next year, who knows?

Play on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Heh, I figured Bawls would have been outlawed at the convention center for different reasons...

"This here's a coffee town...we don't need your kind."

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited September 2007
    jonxp wrote: »
    Heh, I figured Bawls would have been outlawed at the convention center for different reasons...

"This here's a coffee town...we don't need your kind."

"the politician's daughter was accused of drinkin' water and was fined a great big fifty dollar bill" (name the song!)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    The only thing better about last year than this year was the table top room, but I kinda liked that because I spent way too much time in the table top room last year. it was literally 20 feet from my hotel room.

Grath on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe this is a week late, but I would like to add my voice to those who liked the large tabletop ballroom of yesteryear better than than individual rooms of 2007.

One thing I really loved about last year was being able to walk around and see the wild games the leadpushers had put together. Boards that look like actual terrain with models that must represent untold hours of customizing and painting. The effect is quite striking when it all comes together.

Even had I been inclined to walk into strange rooms to try and watch a game, they were unpleasantly crowded. Maybe that's just me, but entering a room in that featured a game I knew I wesn't going to play felt like I was invading somebody's privacy. Like sneaking into a clubhouse or something. I half expected them to ask me for a secret handshake. Or a passphrase:

"New guy, huh? All right... let's say you're being attacked by an Etheral Dragon with Cyanide Breath. What's your save?"

"Uh... vs. Death Magic?"

"GET OUT!"

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wrote over a 2000 word "essay" on the car-ride home about my thoughts of pax compared to last year. I really don't want to post it all, so I'm not going to. But if you really want to read it, PM me.

My thoughts in a nutshell:

PAX is going to be in the same place next year. It's also going to be larger next year (No UPS is going to be booked at the same time). There are going to be more people next year too (if the trend continues). These are things that you can't change and we'll all have to deal with it.

Beyond that, I loved it compared to last years. (Except for Rock Band as the 4th round of the Omegathon... Mainly cuz Thanda got boned in the competition due to no fault of his own, but I'm slowly getting over that.)

Keep up the good work.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The secular or "unconnected" feeling at PAX '07 which has been discussed frequently in this thread was something that was most disconcerting to me as well. My most fond memories from my first PAX in yesteryear ('06) consistently involved the incredible levels of camaraderie that the entire convention was brimming with. I arrived in line WAY too early and spent several hours standing on the sidewalk in Bellevue during the August sun with several thousand other nerds. Despite the recipe for disaster that this may sound to be, this had to be one of the most awesome experiences of my entire year.

People in line handed around their portable systems and exchanged games to keep each other occupied during the hours of waiting. On Saturday, when the WoW coloring contest was passed around people often shared crayons or ideas and complemented each other's colorizing work. The atmosphere of the gathering was more similar to a friendly party rather than a convention. You could move freely from one group of strangers to another and were always welcomed in their conversations, as many of them were complete strangers who had randomly coagulated to pass the time as well. This year, however, everyone seemed to be fairly set in their groups of friends which they arrived with and rarely had lengthy exchanges or conversations outside of those groups, save for the occasional information sharing - i.e. "Ugh! My buddy just called me and the doors won't open for a little longer because the press hasn't gotten enough time to look around. Lame, huh guys?!"

A "convention" is something that you and your friends attend for specific reasons. You have specific goals and your entire approach is far more goal oriented. While our groups of friends may be well included in these, we still tend to aim for these goals which we have attended for.

- "I want to see MC Frontalot!"
    - "I love Wil Wheaton! He talks major smack about Jack Thompson! We have to see him!"
    - "I love free stuff - even if I have no idea what it's for and will probably never try any of the games it's for!"
    - "Mike and Jerry have awesome panels!"
    - "Freeplay - WOOOOO!"
    - "I've GOT to show off my kickass costume!"
    - "After three months of practicing Mario Kart, I have to be able to beat somebody on Ni-Fi!"

I say this because I feel that PAX did not change. I do not believe that Mike, Jerry, Robert, nor any of the other organizers did anything significantly different this year than last that would have changed our feelings in this way. I believe that we changed. Whether it was due to the change in location, the change in size, the change in popularity, or just a change in the water in the greater Seattle area, who can say... but we became attendees of the Penny Arcade Expo rather than participants of PAX.

During the final PA Panel on Sunday, a fellow PAXeer© asked which omnipotent force Gabe and Tycho prefer to direct their whispered prayers to in efforts to prevent PAX from becoming "the next E3" and imploding upon itself. A fine question indeed. The answer, as best as I can recall after this magnificently long weekend, included a statement that struck a chord deep within me. (Note: I know this is not verbatim. Sadly, I cannot recall word-for-word what was said. If anybody has a recording of the final panel or recalls a verbatim transcript, I would LOVE to have an accurate transcript of this.) The guys said that they believed that the fact that PAX was not an "industry" event but was rather an event for the "community" of gamers it would survive.

Tycho wrote in today's news post that he feels it would be impossible for just himself and Gabe to create an event like PAX. Naturally, this refers to the dozens of people involved in the massive and doubtlessly time-consuming planning, organizing, maintenance, running, and strategizing [sic] that it takes to put on an event of this size. This group of folks can assuredly continue to put on awesome gatherings of this sort no matter what we do. The difference is that if we want the great unified feeling of yesteryear to survive the incredibly growth that PAX has seen, WE have to put in just as much effort as we expect from these folks.

Let's remind ourselves why PAX was awesome to us. Was it the free stuff? Was it playing games that we probably have (or at least could have / rent) at home? Was it feeling like you just met several thousand new friends? Was it that even though it was your first PAX and you weren't even that familiar with the comic that you were welcomed by everyone with open arms and made feel at home? We cannot mutter with disappointment that the feeling of personal connectivity (There's a cool idea...) has been lost from PAX when we ourselves failed to warmly welcome all of the new people (How many THOUSANDS were there? Do we know for sure yet?) to our fold of nerddom.

My challenges to myself, and any others who will take up the banner of PAX and fight for the gathering that won my heart:

- Befriend at least a dozen new people next year.
    - Be sure to organize going to lunch/dinner with a group of new people.
    - Wear a name tag that says "Please talk to me!"
    - Talk to more people! All the time!
    - Grab a few complete strangers at some point during the convention for a Console or PC freeplay session.
    - Carry on conversations with anyone I can rather than letting the conversation die because I'm too shy.
    - Ask everyone in a costume who they are and get pictures of/with them!

I'm sure with time I could come up with more, but I need to pretend that I'm working today. =D Does anyone else feel that we must be the champions of the PAX that we love? I'm almost positive that I'm not SO insane that nobody can agree with me... almost poisitive. Does anybody else who feels this way have any other suggestions or thoughts on how we can be sure the feeling of PAX community and participation that we loved lives on?

Thanks for your time!

-- CF

QFT

I won't go and say that this year's PAX wasn't as personable. I will say that this idea is most likely because everyone wasn't cramped together. Live on a boat for a month with a dozen people and you'll learn all about them all. Get 10,000+ people CRAMPED together: A lot of words will be exchanged, a lot of conversations will be heard, and more people will automatically feel 'involved'.

The large space of the convention definitely spread numbers thin. The two other gamers you'd commonly expect to be right at your side, while relaxing, ended up a distance equivilent to the square-foot ratio of Maydenbeaur to WSCTC. It's easy to be friends with someone your stuck with.

Even if it is unlikely that you get to see someone more than once, it's important to realize that we've already been acquainted by common interests; all we have to do is meet someone to become their friend.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I find it beyond ironic that last year it was a common complaint that things were too cramped, and now, with some degree of spin, people are complaining that things are too spacious.

"There's just no pleasing some people."
    "That's just what Jesus said, sir! Bloody do-gooder..."

Speaking as somebody who has organized community events, there's nothing wrong with the community. Hundreds of PAX goers are willing to get to get together for trips, meals, and parties, with people they've never met. If nothing else, we need to get more PAX attendees into the forums so they can become involved in more community events.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • zyphlarzyphlar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gilrad wrote: »
    Biggest disappointment:

No handheld-enabled wifi. I mean seriously, over 80% of the attendees had a DS or PSP. Would it kill them to make a few changes on how the wifi was setup?

I agree, but all you need is a web browser in order to click the I Agree button (this is a pretty common requirement for hot spots, which is why I was disappointed to find that the DS doesn't come with a browser)

Let it be noted, however: Can a hole be opened next year so DSes can get on without a web browser?
    My apologies for the terribly long post - hopefully it will be worth it...

Thanks for your post-- that was my approach as well. I fell short of my goal of meeting and keeping 10 new friends, but all you need to do is stick a silly grin on your face and say hi. I presumed we needed something in common to get acquainted, but it's true that we all have PA in common. It's like I entered some alternate geek reality at PAX and only outside of it do normal sensibilities prevail.

Let's all go with Crit's suggestion: dress funny and strike up a conversation at every opportunity. It's only through our efforts at socializing that PAX will stay a tight-knit community event rather than become a corporate-sponsored convention.

zyphlar on
This discussion has been closed.